Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
What's with this search engine?! - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What's with this search engine?!

Administrator

Default Re: What's with this search engine?!

In addition, what happened to that feature where you can see all of a person's posts (your own or others)?

Quote Originally Posted by Ron View Post
    In addition, what happened to that feature where you can see all of a person's posts (your own or others)?
    Do you mean the feature below?

pic..JPG

Or do you mean how inside search, the text of posts was earlier visible?

If you mean that then it will not come until we upgrade to version 4.0.4 as this feature was missing so far in earlier VB4 versions.
    [Offtopic] I spend my time on my Oracle Forums and my General Forums [/Offtopic]

[Ontopic] To compare translations of the Quran and read Tafsir Jalalayn, refer Quran.com [/Ontopic]

Quote Originally Posted by Kabeer View Post
    Great! thanks for the quick action.

Iv spotted two issues:

1) The "last post" doesnt seem to appear in some results. For eg, if I click to see all my previous posts, if I go to say page 8 of my results, some of the "last post" data is not present fully, while some others are.
    Salaam Kabeer,

I am unable to replicate the issues. When I go to your profile and search all posts by you it presents me many pages. In the screenshot below i am on page the last page of your posts, page 25

pic..JPG

There is however an issue with the Go button as shown below

pic..JPG

The problem is that the Go button does not take you to the page it should. That's a bug with the software which I hope will go away with a version upgrade. In the meantime, you can simply click on the page numbers to move ahead.

2) Some users posts dont seem to go back that far prior to 2010 when searching posts.
    I can't replicate this again. Can you give me a screenshot to explain please?

Peace
    [Offtopic] I spend my time on my Oracle Forums and my General Forums [/Offtopic]

[Ontopic] To compare translations of the Quran and read Tafsir Jalalayn, refer Quran.com [/Ontopic]

Quote Originally Posted by Sadiq_b View Post
    I don't have that "user note (0)" thing in my field? Is it an admin thing?

Quote Originally Posted by faithful View Post
    I don't have that "user note (0)" thing in my field? Is it an admin thing?
    Well quite honestly, I don't know. My guess is it should be available for all. However it's a useless feature in my opinion, so even if you don't have it, you shouldn't bother.

Wasalaam,
    Salaam Kabeer,
    I can't replicate this again. Can you give me a screenshot to explain please?
    1) "last post issue: : I think i figured it out, its about the dimentions of that column and the width of my screen display.

If I make my window smaller the date dissapears. So i think its just my screen settings... (or maybe incorrect settings in the column width on the forum).

2) User previous posts not going all the way back:
    Ok, youposted my last page as page 25, Fed 08.
    But when i search my own profile, it only goes to page 18 max, Sep 08. Both are incorrect I think, as I started posting a while before both...
    This is where I get up to when I search my own posts, i obviously have more than 360 posts:

So not only is it not going all the way back to my older posts, its also showing you more posts than its showing me...

Another example if I search "faithful"'s posts, it only goes up to Feb2010, 460 posts on my computer. See:

Hope that clarifies,
    Peace
    “None of you truly believes until he loves for his brother what he loves for himself.”

Administrator

Salam Sadiq,

I meant both of what you said. Thanks for the clarification.

Regards

Wasalaam,

1) "last post issue: : I think i figured it out, its about the dimentions of that column and the width of my screen display.

If I make my window smaller the date dissappears. So i think its just my screen settings... (or maybe incorrect settings in the column width on the forum).
    Well honestly i don't know. But there's nothing wrong with the site's settings so maybe some browser or display resolution issue probably. But am not sure.

2) User previous posts not going all the way back:
    Ok, youposted my last page as page 25, Fed 08.
    But when i search my own profile, it only goes to page 18 max, Sep 08. Both are incorrect I think, as I started posting a while before both...
    This is where I get up to when I search my own posts, i obviously have more than 360 posts:

So not only is it not going all the way back to my older posts, its also showing you more posts than its showing me...

Another example if I search "faithful"'s posts, it only goes up to Feb2010, 460 posts on my computer. See:

Hope that clarifies,
    Peace
    Ya thanks for the screen shots. I can replicate the problem. Will look into it and update you.

Btw you don't need to use photobucket or any third party sites for uploading images in your posts. You can do so here directly. Go to Advanced reply and click on the A/A icon on the top right. That will invoke the WYSISYG editor. Next click on the "insert image" button and you will be presented with a pop-up which will give you an option to add an image from your computer. Let me know if you face problems doing that.

Peace bro,
    Sadiq

Ahh, you learn something new everday.
    Thanks .
    “None of you truly believes until he loves for his brother what he loves for himself.”

Salaam Kabeer

So I too learned something new today. There is a setting for limiting the number of search results. Currently it is set to 500. So if you search for all posts of a member, it will show you a maximum of 500 posts which is what I was getting in both your and mine profiles. So this is not a BUG. Also the search results are incrementally displayed. So it will show you the first 4 pages. Then if you click on the 4th page the next 3 pages will come up and so on. This is to prevent excessive load on the server.

Salaam Kabeer

So I too learned something new today. There is a setting for limiting the number of search results. Currently it is set to 500. So if you search for all posts of a member, it will show you a maximum of 500 posts which is what I was getting in both your and mine profiles. So this is not a BUG. Also the search results are incrementally displayed. So it will show you the first 4 pages. Then if you click on the 4th page the next 3 pages will come up and so on. This is to prevent excessive load on the server.
    Wasalaam,
    I knew about the page increments. Is it possible to raise the search results more than 500? or have the end user define to search deeper than 500 if they want?

Peace

Yes it is... and i increased it to 1000. Though it's not resulting 1000 entries.

Hello..
    Google has a different policy for ranking websites within their database, they focus more on content and links. The more recipricated links you have especially from sites with a high page rank the higher you will place. That being said you can aid things along by doing the basics of SEO, ie. make sure you have your keywords, alpha tags, headers, descriptions on each page, make sure the site is w3c compliant, and submit yourself to the smaller search engines as well (Word of warning set up a junk email address for just this purpose, because these smaller engines traditionally send you a load of spam). Once you have done all these you can expect it to take anywhere between 2 days and 3 months for Google to find your site. For a speedier response you may like to consider payng for sponsored listings with Google or Yahoo etc. I personally dont like this. ney to search