Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
What's with this search engine?!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What's with this search engine?!

(THOAT-wob-lur MAN-grove)

Default What's with this search engine?!

Ever since the board has relocated, trying to find any old thread on it has become like trying to find a needle that may not exist in a haystack that's not so much a stack as a chaotic pile that keeps shifting around. I must have just spent at least half an hour, for instance (it felt like forty-five minutes or more) trying to locate my old thread on why we shouldn't trust Michael Moore. I try a regular search for the words michael moore, then trust michael moore. I find nothing. I do an advanced search. I do it multiple, singular. I try basic searches like moore and narrow searches like michael moore charlton heston. Notta. I try using different words. I try searches for posts specifically by me. El zilcho. I check all the checkable options; I check only the ones that seem relevant. Neither works. I search the archives specifically, in case everything from the old board is automatically relegated there. No dice. With quote marks, without quote marks; the words in one order, the words in another. NOTHING WORKS.

Have many of the threads just been lost or has the system just become unworkable now? It wasn't like this before. Don't even think about trying to argue that it was.

Never mind. Just fix whatever it is, okay? Please?

Default Re: What's with this search engine?!

Hey yahya... salaams...

There's a slight problem with the search function in the 4.x version of VBulletin which this site is using. But I don't think that's the reason for search not performing well. I too encountered this. Maybe they didn't rebuild the search index after upgrade. In case you guys didn't (Rttsk?) you should.

In the meantine you can use dear old google: http://www.google.com/search?q=site%...orum.org+yahya

To search only this site in google, type site:uiforum.uaeforum.org <keyword> in google.
    [Offtopic] I spend my time on my Oracle Forums and my General Forums [/Offtopic]

[Ontopic] To compare translations of the Quran and read Tafsir Jalalayn, refer Quran.com [/Ontopic]

(THOAT-wob-lur MAN-grove)

Thank you. Bless you.

Quote Originally Posted by Sadiq_b View Post
    Maybe they didn't rebuild the search index after upgrade. In case you guys didn't (Rttsk?) you should..
    Ermm Sadiq, aint you the site technician to do this stuff?
    “None of you truly believes until he loves for his brother what he loves for himself.”

Quote Originally Posted by Kabeer View Post
    Ermm Sadiq, aint you the site technician to do this stuff?
    Nopes... not anymore. I once had admincp (Admin Control Panel) access, but it was somehow removed, without anyone telling me anything btw. I presumed, that there was no requirement for my assistance.

Salaam
    [Offtopic] I spend my time on my Oracle Forums and my General Forums [/Offtopic]

[Ontopic] To compare translations of the Quran and read Tafsir Jalalayn, refer Quran.com [/Ontopic]

Administrator

I'll look into it, it must be an error. And you're wrong, we do need your assistance

Nopes... not anymore. I once had admincp (Admin Control Panel) access, but it was somehow removed, without anyone telling me anything btw. I presumed, that there was no requirement for my assistance.

Salaam
    Awww Sadiq
    UI needs you!

Quote Originally Posted by Ron View Post
    I'll look into it, it must be an error. And you're wrong, we do need your assistance
    Thanks Ron. I must mention that I took no offense whatsoever and it's been many months since the access was removed. I have utmost respect for all the admins here.

Quote Originally Posted by faithful View Post
    Awww Sadiq
    UI needs you!
    Salaam sis, thanks

But any organization or website worth any value does not need specific individuals. The gears must remain in motion such that the machine keeps running, irrespective of whose hand is operating it.

Peace
    Sadiq

The technical support in charge is still Sadiq..................Yeahhhh....

Cheers
    Truly did Allah fulfil the vision for His Messenger. ye shall enter the Sacred Mosque, if Allah wills, with minds secure, heads shaved, hair cut short, and without fear. For He knew what ye knew not, and He granted, besides this, a speedy victory.(48:27)

Salaam sis, thanks

But any organization or website worth any value does not need specific individuals. The gears must remain in motion such that the machine keeps running, irrespective of whose hand is operating it.

Peace
    Sadiq
    Waalaykum assalem

While that is pretty much true... I do not consider UI as an organization or a random website, we are family here: brothers and sisters, right? ... When you -for example- don't post for a while I miss your posts... where is Ratty btw? I miss Sheemae, Farrah, Yahya, hmm.. at least the ones who have been posting since i'm here, Well maybe because it's the only website i'm posting in

Yeaaah ... Endy! hahaha

Quote Originally Posted by faithful View Post
    I do not consider UI as an organization or a random website, we are family here: brothers and sisters, right?
    Absolutely right

where is Ratty btw?
    May be he is on a rescue mission Saving poor cats from butchers

I miss Sheemae
    You want me to start crying like a baby
    Farrah
    She is busy in look after the twins,dear.Do you forget
    Yahya
    Oh not a problem.You just need to post a thread on any of his Favourite topic like Slavery,Music etc etc and you wil find him right here screaming,Is there any Moderator or Admin who delete this topicccc..........

Truly did Allah fulfil the vision for His Messenger. ye shall enter the Sacred Mosque, if Allah wills, with minds secure, heads shaved, hair cut short, and without fear. For He knew what ye knew not, and He granted, besides this, a speedy victory.(48:27)

Ah... i have been blessed with the admin functions now!

So I rebuilt the search index and thread information so the search should be performing better now. Do check out and let me know. The search by default display results sorted by last post date so something which you may be looking for may be a few pages ahead because of older last post date.

So I rebuilt the search index and thread information so the search should be performing better now. Do check out and let me know. The search by default display results sorted by last post date so something which you may be looking for may be a few pages ahead because of older last post date.
    Great! seems to be mostly working.

Only issue I can spot so far is that the "last post" doesnt seem to appear in some results. For eg, if I click to see all my previous posts, if I go to say page 8 of my results, some of the "last post" data is not present fully, while some others are.
    Its really minor though compared to the fact we actually have the search alive now! thanks.
    “None of you truly believes until he loves for his brother what he loves for himself.”

Great! thanks for the quick action.

Iv spotted two issues:

1) The "last post" doesnt seem to appear in some results. For eg, if I click to see all my previous posts, if I go to say page 8 of my results, some of the "last post" data is not present fully, while some others are.

2) Some users posts dont seem to go back that far prior to 2010 when searching posts.
    Peace

Hmmm... interesting... I have my hawk eye on the matter now!

Will look into this asap...

Peace