Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: According to your religion what does God want of you?

Veteran Member

Default According to your religion what does God want of you?

As an athiest, I choose to behave a particular way based on whether I can accept the consequences of my actions.

Just trying to understand if it is very different for religious people.

(THOAT-wob-lur MAN-grove)

Default Re: According to your religion what does God want of you?

Quote Originally Posted by Algebra View Post
    Just trying to understand if it is very different for religious people.
    You've been an atheist for what, a few months now? After being a Christian and a Muslim married to a Jew? And now you're acting like you have no idea? I'm sorry, I don't understand that.

Righteousness

O mankind, worship your Lord, who created you and those before you, that you may become righteous -

2:21, Sahih International
    And before you ask what righteousness is,

Righteousness is not that you turn your faces toward the east or the west, but [true] righteousness is [in] one who believes in Allah , the Last Day, the angels, the Book, and the prophets and gives wealth, in spite of love for it, to relatives, orphans, the needy, the traveler, those who ask [for help], and for freeing slaves; [and who] establishes prayer and gives zakah; [those who] fulfill their promise when they promise; and [those who] are patient in poverty and hardship and during battle. Those are the ones who have been true, and it is those who are the righteous.

2:177, Sahih International
    Please read my post here
    [Offtopic] I spend my time on my Oracle Forums and my General Forums [/Offtopic]

[Ontopic] To compare translations of the Quran and read Tafsir Jalalayn, refer Quran.com [/Ontopic]

Veteran Member

Quote Originally Posted by Yahya Sulaiman View Post
    You've been an atheist for what, a few months now? After being a Christian and a Muslim married to a Jew? And now you're acting like you have no idea? I'm sorry, I don't understand that.
    Always been an athiest, born to non-observant jewish parents, converted to islam to marry my wife, so that her wali/father would agree to our union.

Tried islam, I liked it, except for the bit about accepting the prophet as the best example.

Tried christianity, I liked that too - I am probably still christian in my view of the world, except I am not burdened with the beliefs of God.

I would call myself a follower of jesus and paul but I leave out the God mumbo-jumbo.

I think the great power of christianity is the marriage of logic and reason to semitic thought.

Now back on topic, I don't discuss esoteric things like motivations for acting a certain way with my wife, we focus on the mundane, food, clothing, home, son.

I think I have always unconciously followed the rule of "do something only if you can accept responsibility for the consequences", even when religious.

Also, I have never truly been a "believer", if I think about it I have always been an athiest, even when I professed a religion.

I think the great power of christianity is the marriage of logic and reason to semitic thought.
    Yes, because the trinity (sarcasm) is the standing evidence of the marriage of logic and reason to Semitic thought...
    "Those who deny the strength of truth,
    God does not give them courage." - Bulleh Shah

Veteran Member

Quote Originally Posted by ihsan View Post
    Yes, because the trinity (sarcasm) is the standing evidence of the marriage of logic and reason to Semitic thought...
    No more or less logical than the idea of God.

If one accepts the idea of God, the Trinity is not a problem.

Also, I have never truly been a "believer", if I think about it I have always been an athiest, even when I professed a religion.
    8. Of the people there are some who say: "We believe in Allah and the Last Day;" but they do not (really) believe.
    “The weak can never forgive. Forgiveness is the attribute of the strong.” ~ Mahatma Gandhi

Veteran Member

Quote Originally Posted by MF View Post
    8. Of the people there are some who say: "We believe in Allah and the Last Day;" but they do not (really) believe.
    Wow, is that supposed to make me pause and wonder if there really is a God out there? It does not...

awww MF... that was cute! Keep it up ^_^

Former Hadith Rejector

Algebra, you are the only atheist I know who continually is asking about matters, ideas, etc related to religion and God. Are you sure you're 100% atheist, perhaps a peice of you is unsatisfied with atheism. Am I correct?
    To anyone reading my posts:
    I used to be hadith rejector. After studying hadith at a surface level, I realized the large amount of nonsense dispelled by this forum and their top users. The exemptions are Al Boriqi, Nawawi, Lumumba and hlatif (who is no longer here). My advice, leave this forum. If you read anything of me rejecting hadith, know that it is nonsense and I no longer hold that view. Read my "Bio" for more info.

Veteran Member

Quote Originally Posted by aamantubillah View Post
    Am I correct?
    As I stated aamantubillah, I would love to believe, I simply cannot.

My intellect tells me that there is no more evidence for God than there is for purple unicorns.

How can I believe what I know by reason and deduction to not be true?

But yes, to give you the short answer, I am not happy with athiesm, I would rather believe.

did or did not my post answer your original question?
    [Offtopic] I spend my time on my Oracle Forums and my General Forums [/Offtopic]

[Ontopic] To compare translations of the Quran and read Tafsir Jalalayn, refer Quran.com [/Ontopic]

Quote Originally Posted by Sadiq_b View Post
    did or did not my post answer your original question?
    In your post it says: "People will always wonder as to if there is a God, why did he create me"

I'd like to ask Algebra, since you don't believe in a God, then why do you exist? Its a bit offtopic and I don't want to hyjack your thread so you may ignore my post if you want.
    “The weak can never forgive. Forgiveness is the attribute of the strong.” ~ Mahatma Gandhi

Veteran Member

I'd like to ask Algebra, since you don't believe in a God, then why do you exist?
    You are presuming some cosmological reason for our existence.

I have no reason for my existence anymore than I have a reason for my dogs existence.

In short, if you can tell me why my pet exists, it would pretty much be the same reason that I exist.

(THOAT-wob-lur MAN-grove)

I would call myself a follower of jesus and paul but I leave out the God mumbo-jumbo.
    That sounds a little tricky to me. It's like calling yourself a follower of Buddha while leaving out the "eight-fold path mumbo jumbo", or calling yourself a follower of Karl Marx, just without that Communist nonsense.

I think I have always unconciously followed the rule of "do something only if you can accept responsibility for the consequences", even when religious. Also, I have never truly been a "believer", if I think about it I have always been an athiest, even when I professed a religion.
    Which brings me to another thing I was wanting to get around to: do you really think that if God exists, he'll give you the credit you said you were looking for just in case simply for going through the motions, especially when it involves lying? The amount of a man's usefulness and integrity cannot exceed that of his sincerity.