Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Forum Usability Improvements, Suggestions & How You Can Help.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Forum Usability Improvements, Suggestions & How You Can Help.

Lightbulb Forum Usability Improvements, Suggestions & How You Can Help.

Peace,

There are some aspects of the forum that can be changed or updated for the better. Some are design elements, others are default settings. It would be helpful if we can collect some constructive criticism and feedback about the current changes and where our focus should be first, as there seems to be quite a few things that members would like to change.

At the moment, you cannot search this forum without being a registered and logged in user. I think this is bad for sharing knowledge and goes against the spirit of learning that this site is about. I am sure there are many lurkers out there who have a question about Islamic issues but are unable to search for previous discussions because of this limitation. I think an admin can change this setting from the control panel to allow guest search, please consider it.

The smilies seem to be another hot issue. These need to be managed in such a way as to consider future implications. For example, if you look through some of the older posts, there are lots of smiley tags scattered about like (courtesy of Osman, I could always rely on him to be including smilies in every other breath ).

If we can compile a list of these smiley corpses, there might be a way to update the tags to use a relevant and current smiley image. Here are a few more examples:

:hammerhea :bounce:

We could compile this list in a semi automated manner if anyone good with sql queries and regexp could construct a search function to look for any single word enclosed in the colon chracters, like :keyword: - after that we could probably do a search & replace on the old posts for these smiley tags to use a current image.

All the smilies should be overhauled, so each one should be decided on if it is kept, deleted or replaced with a newer/better image.

"Gentleness does not enter anything except that it beautifies it and harshness does not enter anything except that it disfigures it."

~ Prophet Muhammad.

Default Re: Forum Usability Improvements, Suggestions & How You Can Help.

as-saalam alaykum.

Is there smilies for saying saalam?(never checked)

Can we some how attain the old skin back as another option for the skin?

Regards.

Wa-alaykum as-salaam Yanal,

I'm assuming the old skin has some fundamental differences to the current version of vBulletin, which might explain why the forum script did not have a seamless upgrade option. Is this theme really that bad? In my opinion, the forum posts page (like this one) is mostly fine - however I would agree that the forum home page, and the thread index pages need some work, particularly the rows and the associated icons. These issues will be looked at in the coming week and hopefully with some adjustments the current theme will become acceptable.

I don't know what the situation is with the current smilies, but I would hope that some of the members here who are also registered on other Islamic forums can suggest some smiley icons that they have seen and liked.

"Gentleness does not enter anything except that it beautifies it and harshness does not enter anything except that it disfigures it."

~ Prophet Muhammad.

asalam alaykum warakmatulah wabarkatuh

The skin is not that bad considering a few other forums in mind but I assume its because my mind has been use to viewing the old skin more often and may need time to adjust to this one.Is there a possible way for buying a skin and placing it in the selection of the skins?Perhaps insha'Allaaah.

Most asalam alaykum smilies are formatted as :sl.JazakAllaah khayr for informing us.

Salaam Yanal

There are indeed smileys for salam and a lot of other things. Just click on More, in the Advanced Reply Box to see all the smileys.

I second the point about allowing guests to search, if it doesn't cause too much load on the server. Alternately Google custom search can be incorporated in the theme.

And yes, the VB4 forum is incompatible with the old VB 3.x skin, so we can't go back to that.
    [Offtopic] I spend my time on my Oracle Forums and my General Forums [/Offtopic]

[Ontopic] To compare translations of the Quran and read Tafsir Jalalayn, refer Quran.com [/Ontopic]

Salam all :-D

It's been while that I didnt check the forum, today I was surpised by the new changes.. It's so nice!
    Congatulations for renewing this beautiful site.. I wish all the best for it.

I do have a suggestion but I don't know if it's doable.. but i'm going to say it though: Is it possible that we have a seperate section for the Quran's discussions? Because now we use the Islamic discussions for that!

Salam sister faithful, so nice to see you back...

Hope you are in the best of health and faith...

And I had also previously once requested the same, a separate category for Quran verses, discussions etc.
    [Offtopic] I spend my time on my Oracle Forums and my General Forums [/Offtopic]

[Ontopic] To compare translations of the Quran and read Tafsir Jalalayn, refer Quran.com [/Ontopic]

Waalaykum assalem Sadiq.. it's nice to be in the forum again. Thank you brother!
    I'm ok alhamduliELLEH.. since health and faith are so good, i'm doing good. :-)

Former Hadith Rejector

Woow, look who just walked in! Salam faithful, good to have you back . And I would like to echo the same thoughts that both Sadiq and yourselves have. That would be wonderful because I'd make sure to clutter it with umteenmillion different questions. haha
    To anyone reading my posts:
    I used to be hadith rejector. After studying hadith at a surface level, I realized the large amount of nonsense dispelled by this forum and their top users. The exemptions are Al Boriqi, Nawawi, Lumumba and hlatif (who is no longer here). My advice, leave this forum. If you read anything of me rejecting hadith, know that it is nonsense and I no longer hold that view. Read my "Bio" for more info.

Salaaaam :-) Yeah thats true! I'm back, believe it! :-p
    Thank you for your welcoming comment :-D

So I guess the number of people suggesting the same is increasing, yayyy!

That would be wonderful because I'd make sure to clutter it with umteenmillion different questions. haha
    hahaha... I know you will ;-)

Salam dearest Faithful!

BACK!

Sooooooo glad you are back!

Missed you loads!

Salam (^_^.)

as-saalam alaykum

Let's stay on topic,insha'Allaaah.

But that suggestion that you approached sister faithful should be considered.

Salaam dear admin(s?), would appreciate a response to the suggestion.

Waalaykum assalem Sheemae :-))))

God knows I miss you too.. I miss the forum too
    Im glad i'm back too :-p
    Thanks so much, I forgot how much your posts make me happy with all the smiles in ;-)
    __________________________________________________ ___________________________

Waalaykum assalem Yanal :-)

I hope inshaALLAH, the admins consider our request, thanks to support it. Be in peace. :-)

Salam dearest Yanal

Quote Originally Posted by Yanal View Post
    as-saalam alaykum

Let's stay on topic,insha'Allaaah.
    Forgive me Yanal! (^_^) I just can’t seem to help myself! Everytime someone brings up a topic I feel this uncontrollable urge to take it way off topic! \_(^_^)_/

I will try and behave myself in the future insha’Allah!

anyway to get back on topic!:

But that suggestion that you approached sister faithful should be considered.
    I concur!

I have also spent the better part of an hour trying to find old smilies to help with the smiley changes and have absolutely no clue how to get them off the posts to bring them here! And, not only that! Allot of them are jus: :nosmileybutaloadofwriting: so I won’t even be able to tell what they look like! Sorry! I was trying to be helpful, but the computer just doesn’t want to co-operate!

Salam