Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
What is satan?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is satan?

Veteran Member

Default What is satan?

Who and what is satan?

I find the idea of satan as an evil entity that is working against the will of God bizarre.

As per my view, which is drawn from judaism, HaSaTaN is the accuser.

Which begs the question - what was the serpent in the garden?

Default Re: What is satan?

Satan is a jinn, and not a fallen angel in Islam. But word satan is not limited jinn, people have been labelled satan too in Quran if I remember correctly. Other people with better knowledge of arabic will explain better.

Veteran Member

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck View Post
    Satan is a jinn, and not a fallen angel in Islam.
    We do not believe in anything called a "fallen" angel, or for that matter "jinn".

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck View Post
    Satan is a jinn, and not a fallen angel in Islam. But word satan is not limited jinn, people have been labelled satan too in Quran if I remember correctly. Other people with better knowledge of arabic will explain better.

Exactly... In surah Nas, Allah commands men to seek refuge from the Satan from among men and djinn. Anyobdy working evil is considering Satan. The proper name of the Satan in the story of Adam and Eve is Iblis, and certain commentators, including Islahi argue that this Iblis died a long time ago. The satan of today are often called his offspring.

Satan in the Quran is really an enemy of Gman, not God, and it was his envy in regards to man that he revolted. In surah Falaq, Allah brings out this specific attribute of his and surah Nas shows his methods in which he tries to get man to stray.
    "Those who deny the strength of truth,
    God does not give them courage." - Bulleh Shah

Quote Originally Posted by Algebra View Post
    We do not believe in anything called a "fallen" angel, or for that matter "jinn".
    Christians believe it is fallen angel, but I guess you believe satan is just an angel. Anyhow, in Islam it is neither fallen or whatever angel.

Salam,

Satan as a fallen angel is to a great extent a creation by John Milton.

Regards,
    think

Former Hadith Rejector

Quote Originally Posted by ihsan View Post

Exactly... In surah Nas, Allah commands men to seek refuge from the Satan from among men and djinn. Anyobdy working evil is considering Satan. The proper name of the Satan in the story of Adam and Eve is Iblis, and certain commentators, including Islahi argue that this Iblis died a long time ago. The satan of today are often called his offspring.
    Salam Ihsan,
    What evidence does Islahi bring to support that? I recall the Quran saying that Iblis said he will misguide people till the Day of Judgement (something to that effect).
    To anyone reading my posts:
    I used to be hadith rejector. After studying hadith at a surface level, I realized the large amount of nonsense dispelled by this forum and their top users. The exemptions are Al Boriqi, Nawawi, Lumumba and hlatif (who is no longer here). My advice, leave this forum. If you read anything of me rejecting hadith, know that it is nonsense and I no longer hold that view. Read my "Bio" for more info.

Quote Originally Posted by Ratatosk View Post
    Salam,

Satan as a fallen angel is to a great extent a creation by John Milton.

Regards,
    I don't really know before J. Milton Christians had this belief or not but these days their belief mainly comes from the following Bible passages: http://www.bible-scripture.com/fallen-angels.html

Quote Originally Posted by aamantubillah View Post
    Salam Ihsan,
    What evidence does Islahi bring to support that? I recall the Quran saying that Iblis said he will misguide people till the Day of Judgement (something to that effect).
    Wa salaam

I believe he argues that by his example he will cause many to fall and continue to fall. From a linguistic stand-point, it is possible. In certain verses, Allah addresses Adam and Eve, but that address is to all of mankind:

We said: Go forth from this (state) all; so surely there will come to you a guidance from Me, then whoever follows My guidance, no fear shall come upon them, nor shall they grieve.
    "Those who deny the strength of truth,
    God does not give them courage." - Bulleh Shah

how come the "jinns" that are mentionned so often in the Quran, present since the creation of man as well as all around us, are unknown to the other abrahamic faiths?

seems to me that jinns were part of a particular folklore, that of the desert arabs...

Quote Originally Posted by justavisitor View Post
    how come the "jinns" that are mentionned so often in the Quran, present since the creation of man as well as all around us, are unknown to the other abrahamic faiths?

seems to me that jinns were part of a particular folklore, that of the desert arabs...
    Salaam Justavisitor,

They appear to be known to most other faiths, but by different names. In Christianity they are commonly known as demons and in Judaism as se'irim and shedim.
    It would be so nice if something made sense for a change.
    -Alice

Veteran Member

Quote Originally Posted by -Farrah- View Post
    Salaam Justavisitor,

They appear to be known to most other faiths, but by different names. In Christianity they are commonly known as demons and in Judaism as se'irim and shedim.
    I think what the poster was referring to was the
    'alternate race" status of jinns in islam. Bear in mind there are good jinn and bad jinn.

There is no alternate race in judaism and christianity

Administrator

It seems, but it's not. Jinn means something to the effect of "hidden beings." Practically every culture and or religion has had some familiarity with them. This includes but is not limited to spirits, demons, energy, etc... You can find these in Greek, Zoroastrian. It seems even some Biblical verses mention something similar.

salaam

Post Re: What is satan?

(114:6) whether he be from the jinn or humans.” *3

*3 According to some scholars, these words mean that the whisperer whispers evil into the hearts of two kinds of people: the jinn and the men. If this meaning is admitted, the word nas would apply to both jinn and men.

They say that this can be so, for when the word rijali (men) in the Qur'an has been used for the jinn, as in Al-Jinn: 6, and when nafar can be used for the group of jinn, as in A1-Ahqaf: 29, men and jinn both can be included metaphorically in the word nas also.

But this view is wrong because the words nas, ins and insan are even lexically contrary in meaning to the word jinn.

The actual meanutg of jinn is hidden creation and jinn is called jinn because he is hidden from man's eye.

On the contrary, the words nas and ins are spoken for insan (man) only on the basis that he is manifest and visible and perceptible.

In Surah Al-Qasas: 29, the word anasa has been used in the meaning of ra a, i.e. "the Prophet Moses saw a fire in the direction of Tur. "

In Surah An-Nisa': 6, the word anastum has been used in the meaning of ahsastum or ra aytum (i.e. if you perceive or see that the orphans have become capable).
    Therefore, nas canot apply to jinn lexically, and the correct meaning of the verse is:

"from the evil of the whisperer who whispers evil into the hearts of men, whether he be from among the jinn or from the men themselves."

In other words, whispering of evil is done by devils from among jinn as well as by devils from among rnen and the prayer in this Surah has been taught to seek refuge from the evil of both.

This meaning is supported by the Qur'an as well as by the Hadith.
    The Qur'an says:

"And so it has always been that We set against every Prophet enemies from among devils of men and devils of jinn, who have been inspiring one another with charming things to delude the minds." (Al-An'am :112)

And in the Hadith, lmam Ahmad, Nasa'i, and Ibn Hibban have related on the authority of Hadrat Abu Dharr a tradition, saying:

"I sat before the Holy Prophet (upon whom be peace), who was in the Mosque. He said: Abu Dharr, have you performed the Prayer?
    I replied in the negative.
    He said: Arise and perform the Prayer. So, I performed the Prayer.
    The Holy Prophet said:

O Abu Dharr, seek Allah's refuge from the devils of men and the devils of jinn. I asked. are there devils among rnen also? O Messenger of Allah! He replied: Yes."

(THOAT-wob-lur MAN-grove)

Quote Originally Posted by Algebra View Post
    I think what the poster was referring to was the
    'alternate race" status of jinns in islam. Bear in mind there are good jinn and bad jinn.

There is no alternate race in judaism and christianity
    How do you define "alternate race"? I mean, it seems to me the nephilim, for example, while not quite being analagous to djinn, are very much an "alternate" race.