Thread: Maqam Mahmood.

Default Maqam Mahmood.

We recite a duaa after Adhan in which we pray Allah swt to reward Muhammad SAW with Maqam Mahmood.What is this place called Maqam Mahmood?
    Truly did Allah fulfil the vision for His Messenger. ye shall enter the Sacred Mosque, if Allah wills, with minds secure, heads shaved, hair cut short, and without fear. For He knew what ye knew not, and He granted, besides this, a speedy victory.(48:27)

Default Re: Maqam Mahmood.

Salaam sister

I don't know the metaphorical significance or origin of the term, but literally it (can) means, "place of those who were praised".
    [Offtopic] I spend my time on my Oracle Forums and my General Forums [/Offtopic]

[Ontopic] To compare translations of the Quran and read Tafsir Jalalayn, refer Quran.com [/Ontopic]

Quote Originally Posted by Endymion View Post
    We recite a duaa after Adhan in which we pray Allah swt to reward Muhammad SAW with Maqam Mahmood.What is this place called Maqam Mahmood?
    In the same Duaa we say something like: Give him "al wassila".. I think I've heard that alWassila is the highest level in the Paradise and "al maqam al mahmood" means something like the better place... so I think almaqam almahmood is the highest place in the Paradise.

I may be wrong... ALLAH knows the best.

Salaam sister Endymion,

Click here for a translation of this optional dua which some Muslims recite after the Adhan.

I hope this helps.
    It would be so nice if something made sense for a change.
    -Alice

Farrah,Faithful and Bro Sadiq.

Thanks for your kind replies.Ok,considering that its a very high rank i have another question.Will other Prophets also reach to this rank?
    Truly did Allah fulfil the vision for His Messenger. ye shall enter the Sacred Mosque, if Allah wills, with minds secure, heads shaved, hair cut short, and without fear. For He knew what ye knew not, and He granted, besides this, a speedy victory.(48:27)

While the orthodox position takes it in the context of the Day of Judgement and the position of intercession of the Prophet (S), the context of the Quran indicates something different. This verse was revealed at the time of hijra, when Muhammad (S) was about to migrate to Medina. From a purely secular perspective, the situation was such that the Muslims had been uprooted from their land and the mission of Muhammad (S) was essentially a failure. In surah Kauthar Allah refers to the unbelievers asserting that Muhammad (S) was cut-off, whether from his homeland, people and the symbol of the religion of ABraham, the Ka'aba itself.

In that case We would certainly have made you to taste a double (punishment) in this life and a double (punishment) after death, then you would not have found any helper against Us.
    And surely they purposed to unsettle you from the land that they might expel you from it, and in that case they will not tarry behind you but a little.
    (This is Our) course with regard to those of Our messengers whom We sent before you, and you shall not find a change in Our course.
    Keep up prayer from the declining of the sun till the darkness of the night and the morning recitation; surely the morning recitation is witnessed.
    And during a part of the night, pray Tahajjud beyond what is incumbent on you; maybe your Lord will raise you to a position of great glory.
    And say: My Lord! make me to enter a goodly entering, and cause me to go forth a goodly going forth, and grant me from near Thee power to assist (me).
    And say: The truth has come and the falsehood has vanished; surely falsehood is a vanishing (thing).
    The Quran is essentially foretelling that the mission of Muhammad (S) has actually been granted a manifest victory. This hijrah is a means in which the truth will prevail over falsehood and Muhammad (S) and his mission will be victorious. Not only will this happen, but the whole of Arabia will know the name of Muhammad (S) and mentioned his name with honor and praise him (S). In surah Inshirah, Allah reminds Muhammad (S) how he has raised his name with honor and respect. This surah was revealed when the religion of Islam was beginning to spread like wild-fire all over Arabia and Muhammad's (S) name wasn't confined to Mecca and Medina, but all of ARabia.

This manifest victory and sign is what was referr to by previous Prophets (AS). For example, Jesus foretells of the coming of Ahmed, which is the 'praised' one, which clearly alludes to the fact that this last Prophet would attain so much success in his mission that all men will praise his name and know him. He would usher in the Kingdom of Heaven on Earth. This statement is especially noteworthy in the context of Jesus' mission, because this Noble Soul did not obtain much success during his own lifetime, in that his own people rejected him and tried to crucify him.
    "Those who deny the strength of truth,
    God does not give them courage." - Bulleh Shah

So,this is not something like "A highest place in heaven" or "The most noble person near Allah swt in resurrection day" This is to console him at the time he was leaving Makkah.Allah swt was assuring him that he will be the conqueror and will become the most noble person on earth.Then why we still reciting this duaa when he has been awarded of what was promised?
    Last edited by Endymion; 5th October 2009 at 18:02.

So,this is not something like "A highest place in heaven" or "The most noble person near Allah swt in resurrection day" This is to console him at the time he was leaving Makkah.Allah swt was assuring him that he will be the conqueror and will become the most noble person on earth.Then why we still reciting this duaa when he has been awarded of what was promised?
    The assurance is that his mission will be successful and, while he may be rejected by his people now, it surely won't last long, for everybody will be reciting his praises. The promise is still being fulfilled today, because all Muslims pray for him as well as praise him and will continue to until the Day of Judgement.

It doesn't necessarily mean he will be the most noble person ever on earth or that he will intercede for the Muslims on the Day of Judgement. There are some hadeeth that say it pertains to the Day of Judgement, but those are sources extraneous to the context of the Quran.

Quote Originally Posted by ihsan View Post

It doesn't necessarily mean he will be the most noble person ever on earth .

I read it in lots of books that he SAW is the most noble person on earth and he is superior than other Prophets AS.Some where in Quraan i read Allah swt told him SAW that you are just a prophet like we sent before(Im sorry i missed the reference but surely you are aware of it) but here Allah swt said some are superior.

Surah Al-Baqarah.
    " Those apostles We endowed with gifts, some above others: to one of them God spoke; others He raised to degrees (of honour); to Jesus the son of Mary We gave clear (Signs), and strengthened him with the Holy Spirit. If God had so willed, succeeding generations would not have fought among each other, after Clear (Signs) had come to them, but they (chose) to wrangle, some believing and others rejecting. If God had so willed, they would not have fought each other; but God Fulfilleth His plan".

And i can see that he is superior in some points like
    The Deen has been completed on him.
    The book sent on him SAW can not be changed.
    His Ummah will spread Allah swt word till resurrection day.
    And on many other things i read that he SAW is superior than all Prophets AS.So,the question is whether he SAW is superior on other Prophets or all the Prophets are same in rank near Allah swt??

Surah Al-Baqarah.
    " Those apostles We endowed with gifts, some above others: to one of them God spoke; others He raised to degrees (of honour); to Jesus the son of Mary We gave clear (Signs), and strengthened him with the Holy Spirit. If God had so willed, succeeding generations would not have fought among each other, after Clear (Signs) had come to them, but they (chose) to wrangle, some believing and others rejecting. If God had so willed, they would not have fought each other; but God Fulfilleth His plan".
    In this particular verse, two Prophets are mentioned which represent the founders of the for-runners to the Muslim community. It is obvious that the Jews and Christians were presenting what was clearly a selective superiority of their Prophets to reject the prophethood of Muhammad (S). Moses (AS) was favored with speaking to God directly and Jesus (AS) was granted manifest miracles, such as raising the dead to life and Muhammad (S) did not manifest these types of miracles, though he did manifest miracles, such as the Quran. The fact is, we have no idea whom Allah holds as superior. Allah states in this verse that these distinctions being presented were made out of jealousy among the various followers of these faiths and instead of taking them as clear signs of God that these Prophets were all supported by the Almighty they used them to wrangle in order not the follow the truth, but to continue to follow their desires.

Prophets have some exclusive privilege they were granted, but these privileges are not meant to be taken as an absolute ranking. These signs granted to various Prophets were contigent to the presentation of their message, i.e. they were meant to corraborate the truth of the Prophet so that he be followed. For example, Moses was granted miracles that challenged the expertise of the day, i.e. sorcery. Jesus came at a time when medicine and healing was being performed. Muhammad (S) came during a period where eloquence and speech was the expertise of a people.

The fact is, we have no idea whom Allah holds as superior.
    Salam Bro Ihsan

Is that mean we cant say that finally if any Prophet is superior or not,may be one is superior?Moses AS speak to allah swt so as Muhammad saw did when he went on Mairaj,he talk to Allah swt and he swt reward him with Salat.And one more thing is Darood.Allah swt himself sent Darood on Muhammad saw and no other Prophet awarded with this.I have this in my heart that Muhammad saw is superior than all human beings of the world,and in some points i can see that he is,but i am unable to make any conclusion

Salam Bro Ihsan

Is that mean we cant say that finally if any Prophet is superior or not,may be one is superior?Moses AS speak to allah swt so as Muhammad saw did when he went on Mairaj,he talk to Allah swt and he swt reward him with Salat.And one more thing is Darood.Allah swt himself sent Darood on Muhammad saw and no other Prophet awarded with this.I have this in my heart that Muhammad saw is superior than all human beings of the world,and in some points i can see that he is,but i am unable to make any conclusion

According to some, Muhammad (S) saw Allah on miraj. Aisha (R), the wife of the Prophet is reported to have rejected it. Further, the Quran states that He (S) saw some of the greates signs of the Lord, not the Lord himself. If Muhammad (S) claimed to have seen the Lord, then the very objection of the disbelievers would not hold ground.

Allah sent his blessings and prayers on not only the Prophets, but the believers themselves. It isn't just confined to our Prophet (S).

The reason you have it in your heart is because of the orthodox position of Muslims. Whether or not you hold it, is irrelevant to your salvation, for the Prophets are all the best of men and we are bound to the revelation given to Muhammad (S). As long as you follow this revelation, you are ensured Paradise.

According to some, Muhammad (S) saw Allah on miraj. Aisha (R), the wife of the Prophet is reported to have rejected it. Further, the Quran states that He (S) saw some of the greates signs of the Lord, not the Lord himself. If Muhammad (S) claimed to have seen the Lord, then the very objection of the disbelievers would not hold ground.

Allah sent his blessings and prayers on not only the Prophets, but the believers themselves. It isn't just confined to our Prophet (S).

The reason you have it in your heart is because of the orthodox position of Muslims. Whether or not you hold it, is irrelevant to your salvation, for the Prophets are all the best of men and we are bound to the revelation given to Muhammad (S). As long as you follow this revelation, you are ensured Paradise.
    This contains every thing.Thank you so much for your kind replies Bro.I am truly grateful.Jazakallah.