Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
I understand if no one can answer this...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I understand if no one can answer this...

(THOAT-wob-lur MAN-grove)

Default I understand if no one can answer this...

...but does anyone have any idea why most of the people who sign up here never post even once? We can probably only speculate but I'm sure the mods or maybe some other members can make a better guess than I can. It seems that almost every day the little thing at the bottom of the screen on the forum homepage says "welcome our newest member such-and-such" and only rarely does any such-and-such ever rear his/her head and speak to anyone. Are there places you can't read or features other than posting and PM'ing you can't access without signing up? Do people ever sign up only to PM the mods? I'd like for more of them to talk to us. Maybe I should PM them. I just thought someone should finally bring the issue up right out in the open, if only to see if I'm the only person who's noticed this and/or is puzzled by it.

Default Re: I understand if no one can answer this...

Assalamualaikum (I'm still getting used to typing this on a forum...the other forum I go to has about 3 Muslims and i'd get bashed for even typing this :/ I try to avoid fights). I just registered to this site today. Found it through google when I was looking for answers regarding the whole 'touching dogs' issue.

I'm very excited to have found a site like this, and hopefully if my parents don't..take away my laptop ._. (exams) I will try and post more, asking questions and try to keep the forum alive.

As'salamu alaykum,
    Quote Originally Posted by Yahya Sulaiman View Post
    [Why do] most of the people who sign up here never post even once?
    For one thing quite a lot of the people who sign up aren't people. They are only clever scripts running on a server; creating random names, signing up and falling asleep. Do not bother sending them a PM.
    We can probably only speculate but I'm sure the mods or maybe some other members can make a better guess than I can.
    Alrighty, I will do a teeny tiny thing here... hang on...

EDIT: 83 additional "members" (with telltale names such as "cell phone") were found in the roster, corresponding roughly to the amount of sleeping, non-human members we had. They are gone now, naturally. This will give you some form of idea regarding the amount of fake registerings we get.

(As an aside; to give you a rough idea of the amount of spam and hacking that goes on out there, at work we get roughly 3.000.000 spam e-mails a day, plus roughly 200.000 break-in attempts a day (that includes port scanning, firewall attacks, brute-force attacks, et cetera). And we are a teeny, tiny company.)

Regards,
    think

Salaam,

Quote Originally Posted by Ratatosk View Post

(As an aside; to give you a rough idea of the amount of spam and hacking that goes on out there, at work we get roughly 3.000.000 spam e-mails a day, plus roughly 200.000 break-in attempts a day (that includes port scanning, firewall attacks, brute-force attacks, et cetera). And we are a teeny, tiny company.)
    What !! Those statistics are incredible - have people not got better things to do with their time ??
    It would be so nice if something made sense for a change.
    -Alice

So it's spammers? Then why do the spammers pick on this forum so much? Or is this a typical thing?

typical thing

Salam,
    Quote Originally Posted by -Farrah- View Post
    What !!
    Indeed.
    Those statistics are incredible -
    I guess it's the numbers that are confusing at first glance, seeing as the amount of daily spam e-mails planetwide are counted in the billions. It's just a number, though, the trusty machine you're viewing this forum with can count to that number in less than a second.
    have people not got better things to do with their time ??
    Ya, well, it's not actually people that are sending all those spam e-mails. The majority of spam (all of it, really) is sent by using scripts; a long list of commands that tell the computer to send spam to a list of e-mails. No-one is sending those manually. Alright, ultimately there's a human being behind the spam, of course. Computers aren't sentient, yet. But essentially the posting is done by an automatic bot.

Fake members are no real problem. After all, the staff has unrestricted access to the Administrator's Hammer of Ownage.

Now that would be kinda hilarious; aren't you kinda tired of the super-predictable plots in those Terminator™ kinda movies? What with some hyper-complex defence computer network becoming "sentient" and deciding ("in a microsecond") to wipe out all of humanity, cue CGI explosions and end credits. (The only redeeming factor in all of that is the perhaps sobering revelation even Hollywood seems to have realized we're vermin.)

Wouldn't it be funnier if the sentient SkyNet thingymagig would be the most hyper of all spammers?
    "Oh noes! The spam!! We need to shut it down! Now!!!11!1two!"
    "Oh, aren't we lucky we have the super secret chrome-and-noise gun thing!?!11!1!!2"
    Starring mr Generic and the CGI abs.

This thread is now officially off topic.

Regards,
    think

Salaam Ratatosk ,

Ya, well, it's not actually people that are sending all those spam e-mails. The majority of spam (all of it, really) is sent by using scripts; a long list of commands that tell the computer to send spam to a list of e-mails. No-one is sending those manually. Alright, ultimately there's a human being behind the spam, of course. Computers aren't sentient, yet. But essentially the posting is done by an automatic bot.
    Thank you for the explanation – silly me!! I'm so computer literate that I only recently figured out that "spam" was not a reference to canned precooked meat.

Now that would be kinda hilarious; aren't you kinda tired of the super-predictable plots in those Terminator™ kinda movies? What with some hyper-complex defence computer network becoming "sentient" and deciding ("in a microsecond") to wipe out all of humanity, cue CGI explosions and end credits. (The only redeeming factor in all of that is the perhaps sobering revelation even Hollywood seems to have realized we're vermin.)
    wipe out all of humanity.......explosions.......we’re vermin.” Very good fellow psychopath – I like how you think!!!

Wouldn't it be funnier if the sentient SkyNet thingymagig would be the most hyper of all spammers?
    "Oh noes! The spam!! We need to shut it down! Now!!!11!1two!"
    "Oh, aren't we lucky we have the super secret chrome-and-noise gun thing!?!11!1!!2"
    Starring mr Generic and the CGI abs.
    Gosh, your madness surpasses mine - cool ! By the way I do like Terminator 2, its one of my all time favourite films!!
    -Alice

As'salamu alaykum,
    I'm so computer literate that I only recently figured out that "spam" was not a reference to canned precooked meat.
    I see. Was it the headlines; "Cyber terrorist sends out spam in the billions! News at ten!"; that tipped you off ?
    Very good fellow psychopath – I like how you think!!!
    Birds of a feather.
    By the way I do like Terminator 2, its one of my all time favourite films!!
    It's a wonderful love story.

Regards,
    think

Quote Originally Posted by Ratatosk
    "By the way I do like Terminator 2, its one of my all time favourite films!!"

It's a wonderful love story.
    You're thinking of the first Terminator film. Kyle wasn't even in the second one (except in a deleted scene's dream sequence).

Walaykum asalaam Ratatosk,

I see. Was it the headlines; "Cyber terrorist sends out spam in the billions! News at ten!"; that tipped you off ?
    Yes, wow, how did you know? I heard that exact headline on that exact news programme and this caused me to ponder.....how could there be a world food shortage when so much spam was being sent around the world by this very generous, benefactor “Cyber terrorist” (who I saw as the modern day equivalent of Robin Hood) ? Then my friend’s 10 yr old nephew explained what “spam” actually was ! So now you know the whole woeful tale.

I have just read your post on the “Please take my movie survey” thread and your answers there, coupled with your other posts on the forum have got me pondering..... do you know if I didn’t know better, I’d say you were either a computer or a Vulcan..........hmm......I wonder.....
    -Alice

Salam,
    You're thinking of the first Terminator film.
    Ah, you mean Terminator the Musical, right? Ya, I simply luuurved that flick. The dancing, the choreography, the whimsy Doodlebug character (now that was one hiiilarious turtle). Revere it.
    I’d say [you're] Vulcan.........
    Shush. That must never get out in the open. Pipe it down, or I shall be forced to challenge you to a game of kal-toh.

Regards,
    think

Salaam Ratatosk,

Quote Originally Posted by Ratatosk View Post
    Shush. That must never get out in the open. Pipe it down, or I shall be forced to challenge you to a game of kal-toh.

Oh I see.
    -Alice

As long as we're being way off topic and silly here, I may as well say something to Ratatosk that I've been forgetting to say for many days now. I dig the "Captain Obvious" avatar, and want to know: did you get it from Mugglenet? Because that's the only other place I've seen it. Or is it an image tossed around the internet which Emerson at Mugglenet just uses a lot?

Salam,

I have no idea who Emerson or what Mugglenet is. Found the image + downloaded + fixed transparency + resized (I believe 100­²p is the max size) + uploaded.

Regards,
    think