Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: should Muslims celebrate Valentine's day

Veteran Member

Default should Muslims celebrate Valentine's day

I would like to seek the views of participants whetehr Muslims should celebrate Valentine's day.

Lightbulb Re: should Muslims celebrate Valentine's day

How about the view of Islam ??

Ruling on celebrating Valentine’s Day

Default Re: should Muslims celebrate Valentine's day

Considering the kind of woman I'd likely marry one day, we'd probably celebrate it by having a good laugh, and remarking how silly the brainwashed masses are following everything the TV tells them to. If we even remember Valentines day at all.

Having said that, I do like the Japanese version of Valentines day. It's far more sensible.
    The image-obsessed, bloodthirsty, sensationalistic world outside your window is the real madhouse.

www.islamic-relief.com

Veteran Member

Having said that, I do like the Japanese version of Valentines day. It's far more sensible.
    Would you care to share what that is

Quote Originally Posted by DocW View Post
    Would you care to share what that is
    I have googled it for you brother

Quote Originally Posted by Ramsey View Post
    "Obligatory chocolate?"

Nothing brightens my day like a gift that says, 'I got you this because I had to.'
    Knowledge shrinks as wisdom grows.
    ~ Alfred North Whitehead

Veteran Member

Quote Originally Posted by Spiderman View Post
    Many thanks bro very grateful

I like the Japanese Valentine day. Should travel to Japan before the 14th of Feb and return before the 14th of March

Quote Originally Posted by muhtadiyah View Post
    "Obligatory chocolate? "

Nothing brightens my day like a gift that says, 'I got you this because I had to.'
    I wouldn't disregard the Japanese sense of giri out of hand, it's quite fascinating actually.
    The image-obsessed, bloodthirsty, sensationalistic world outside your window is the real madhouse.

www.islamic-relief.com

Quote Originally Posted by Ramsey View Post
    I wouldn't disregard the Japanese sense of giri out of hand, it's quite fascinating actually.
    Interesting, yes; and apparently quite a useful tool for marketers. I'm sure I would flop at being Japanese.

On Valentines Day, my romantic plan is to go buy a waffle iron. I might even get a heart-shaped one, just to make a Jew or a Christian happy.

~ Alfred North Whitehead

Veteran Member

Is it celabrated in Judaism then?
    Islam isnt for studying,its for living

Quote Originally Posted by alan View Post
    Is it celabrated in Judaism then?
    Nope. Valentine's Day, as it's currently celebrated, is neither a Jewish nor a Christian holiday, has nothing to do with pagan Roman festivities, and is more or less due to commercialization and marketing techniques of greeting card companies. That's cause enough to make Prophet Muhammad cry, I suppose, but not for the reasons given by the excitable sheikh. If a muslim man wants to buy his wife flowers or chocolates on Feb. 14th, I can assure you that Jews and Christians don't give a fiddle-dee-dee.
    ~ Alfred North Whitehead

Veteran Member

This was my understanding of the history of Valentine's day

If we look into history we see that the Festival of Love was one of the festivals of the pagan Romans, when paganism was the prevalent religion of the Romans more than seventeen centuries ago. In the pagan Roman concept, it was an expression of "spiritual love".

There were myths associated with this pagan festival of the Romans, which persisted with their Christian heirs. Among the most famous of these myths was the Roman belief that Romulus, the founder of Rome, was suckled one day by a she-wolf, which gave him strength and wisdom.

The Romans used to celebrate this event in mid-February each year with a big festival. One of the rituals of this festival was the sacrifice of a dog and a goat. Two strong and muscular youths would daub the blood of the dog and goat onto their bodies, then they would wash the blood away with milk. After that there would be a great parade, with these two youths at its head, which would go about the streets. The two youths would have pieces of leather with which they would hit everyone who crossed their path. The Roman women would welcome these blows, because they believed that they could prevent or cure infertility.

The connection between Saint Valentine and this festival:

Saint Valentine is a name which is given to two of the ancient "martyrs" of the Christian Church. It was said that there were two of them, or that there was only one, who died in Rome as the result of the persecution of the Gothic leader Claudius, c. 296 CE. In 350 CE, a church was built in Rome on the site of the place where he died, to perpetuate his memory.

When the Romans embraced Christianity, they continued to celebrate the Feast of Love mentioned above, but they changed it from the pagan concept of "spiritual love" to another concept known as the "martyrs of love", represented by Saint Valentine who had advocated love and peace, for which cause he was martyred, according to their claims. It was also called the Feast of Lovers, and Saint Valentine was considered to be the patron saint of lovers.

One of their false beliefs connected with this festival was that the names of girls who had reached marriageable age would be written on small rolls of paper and placed in a dish on a table. Then the young men who wanted to get married would be called, and each of them would pick a piece of paper. He would put himself at the service of the girl whose name he had drawn for one year, so that they could find out about one another. Then they would get married, or they would repeat the same process again on the day of the festival in the following year.

The Christian clergy reacted against this tradition, which they considered to have a corrupting influence on the morals of young men and women. It was abolished in Italy, where it had been well-known, then it was revived in the eighteenth and nineteenth centuries, when in some western countries there appeared shops which sold small books called “Valentine’s books”.

Veteran Member

Quote Originally Posted by muhtadiyah View Post
    Nope. Valentine's Day, as it's currently celebrated, is neither a Jewish nor a Christian holiday, has nothing to do with pagan Roman festivities, and is more or less due to commercialization and marketing techniques of greeting card companies. That's cause enough to make Prophet Muhammad cry, I suppose, but not for the reasons given by the excitable sheikh. If a muslim man wants to buy his wife flowers or chocolates on Feb. 14th, I can assure you that Jews and Christians don't give a fiddle-dee-dee.
    Forgive me for pointing out,this inconsistency in your comment.
    " I might even get a heart-shaped one, just to make a Jew or a Christian happy."
    Islam isnt for studying,its for living

[OFFTOPIC]

Salam,

I'll better do some research; we're in dire need of some new tags, namely [SARCASM]some obvious ones[/SARCASM].

Regards,

[/OFFTOPIC]
    think

Salaam Doc,
    Quote Originally Posted by DocW View Post
    This was my understanding of the history of Valentine's day ...
    The feast to which you're referring was called Lupercalia, and seems to be a celebration connected to the myths about the founding of Rome. As far as I know, the Romans never referred to it as 'The Feast of Love,' neither did it have anything to do with 'spiritual love.' Some of the rituals did include elements of sexuality and fertility, though. Here's a half-way decent article.

As I said, Valentine's Day, as it's currently observed, has nothing to do with Lupercalia. If you don't believe me, you might try sacrificing a dog, flogging bystanders as you run naked through the street in honor of Romulus and Remus, then seeing if anyone understands what you're up to. That is, if you don't get arrested first.

peace,
    mhtdyh
    ~ Alfred North Whitehead