Page 53 of 53 FirstFirst ... 34344454647484950515253

Thread: thought provoking

Default Re: thought provoking

Quote Originally Posted by DocW View Post
    You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself in any direction you choose. You're on your own. And you know what you know. You are the guy who'll decide where to go.
    -- Dr. Seuss
    There is a way that seems right to a man but that way leads to death; lean not to your own understanding but in all your ways acknowledge the Lord and He will direct your path

Teaching is leaving a vestige of one self in the development of another. And surely the student is a bank where you can deposit your most precious treasures.
    -- Eugene P. Bertin
    One man's treasure could be another man's junk. Only a wise man can leave a treasure that is worth keeping. Jesus said, a wise man is the one who hears His word and does it.

Satisfaction of one's curiosity is one of the greatest sources of happiness in life.
    -- Linus Pauling
    Satisfied curiosity without peace and love is not true happiness and curiosity killed the cat.
    Last edited by Burninglight; 29th January 2014 at 23:21.
    Jesus is not valued (at all) unless he is valued above all. Augustine

Five simple rules to achieve happiness:

1. Free you heart from hatred -- forgive.
    2. Free you mind from worries -- most never happen.
    3. Live simply and appreciate what you have.
    4. Give more.
    5. Expect less.

Mrs Iffat Hassan
    Yes, this will work for anyone.

Quote Originally Posted by theman09 View Post
    Socrates, speaking in Plato's Phaedo: "For whence come wars, and fightings, and factions? Whence but from the body and the lusts of the body?"

Paul writes, "For now we see through a glass, darkly; but then face to face: now I know in part; but then shall I know even as also I am known." (1 Cor. 13:12) Socrates, again in Phaedo, takes the other side of the argument: "I am very far from admitting that he who contemplates existence through the medium of ideas, sees them only 'through a glass darkly,' any more than he who sees them in their working and effects."

a protestant christian wrote:
    Without Paul's deliberate development of Christianity, the Church, as known today, would not exist. In my opinion, without the influence of Philo, Paul would not have been able to cross the boundaries between so many cultures and belief systems.
    You are entitled to your opinion. In my opinion, the word of God (Jesus) is what influenced early Christology. I don't believe Philo was a direct influence on Paul (they were contemporaries); both Philo and Early Christianity borrow from a common source.

Veteran Member

I have a dream that one day this nation will rise up and live out the true meaning of its creed: "We hold these truths to be self-evident: that all men are created equal." I have a dream that one day on the red hills of Georgia the sons of former slaves and the sons of former slave-owners will be able to sit down together at a table of brotherhood. I have a dream that one day even the state of Mississippi, a desert state, sweltering with the heat of injustice and oppression, will be transformed into an oasis of freedom and justice. I have a dream that my four children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character. I have a dream today."

Martin Luther King

Veteran Member

Being male is a matter of birth, being a man is matter of age, but being a gentleman is a matter of choice.

Veteran Member

At first as a student, I wanted freedom only for myself, the transitory freedoms of being able to stay out at night, read what I pleased and go where I chose. Later as a young man in Johannesburg, I yearned for the basic and honorable freedoms of achieving my potential, of earning my keep, of marrying and having a family-the freedom not to be obstructed in a lawful life. But I then slowly saw that not only was I not free, but my brothers and sisters were not free.... and that is when the hunger for my own freedom became the greater hunger for the freedom of my people.

It was this desire for the freedom of my people to live their lives with dignity and self -respect that animated my life, that transformed a frightened young man into a bold one, that drove a law-abiding attorney to become a criminal, that turned a family -loving husband into a man without a home... I am no more virtuous or self sacrificing then the next man, but I found that I could not even enjoy the poor and limited freedoms I was allowed when I knew my people were not free

Nelson Mandela

Veteran Member

Deeper the foundations stronger the fortress

Veteran Member

There are only two lasting bequests we give our children- one is roots, the other is wings.

Veteran Member

Treat a man as he is and he will remain as he is. Treat a man as he can be and he will become as he can and should be.

Goethe