Page 2 of 53 FirstFirst 12345678910111252 ... LastLast

Thread: thought provoking

I am good masha'Allah.

Default Re: thought provoking

Good stuff DocW, I found them to be very thought provoking indeed. Thanks for sharing them with us.

Here is another thought provoking quote that I like very much:

"When you meet a man, you judge him by his clothes. When you leave a man, you judge him by his heart." - Russian Proverb.

Veteran Member

Recently I overheard a Father and daughter in their last moments together at the airport. They had announced the departure.

Standing near the security gate, they hugged and the Father said, 'I love you, and I wish you enough.'

The daughter replied, 'Dad, our life together has been more than enough. Your love is all I ever needed. I wish you enough, too, Dad.'

They kissed and the daughter left. The Father walked over to the window where I was seated. Standing there I could see he wanted and needed to cry. I tried not to intrude on his privacy, but he welcomed me in by asking, 'Did you ever say good-bye to someone knowing it would be forever?'

'Yes, I have,' I replied. 'Forgive me for asking, but why is this a for ever good-bye?'.

'I am old, and she lives so far away. I have challenges ahead and the reality is - the next trip back will be for my funeral,' he said.

'When you were saying good-bye, I heard you say, 'I wish you enough.' May I ask what that means?'

He began to smile. 'That's a wish that has been handed down from other generations. My parents used to say it to everyone..' He paused a moment and looked up as if trying to remember it in detail, and he smiled even more. 'When we said, 'I wish you enough,' we were wanting the other person to have a life filled with just enough good things to sustain them.' Then turning toward me, he shared the following as if he were reciting it from memory.

I wish you enough sun to keep your attitude bright no matter how gray the day may appear.

I wish you enough rain to appreciate the sun even more.

I wish you enough happiness to keep your spirit alive and everlasting.

I wish you enough pain so that even the smallest of joys in life may appear bigger.

I wish you enough gain to satisfy your wanting.
    I wish you enough loss to appreciate all that you possess.

I wish you enough hellos to get you through the final good- bye.

He then began to cry and walked away.

They say it takes a minute to find a special person, an hour to appreciate them, a day to love them; but then an entire life to forget them.

Veteran Member

The best thing to give your enemy is forgiveness, to an opponent tolerance, to a friend your heart, to your child good example, to your father deference, to your mother a conduct that will make her proud of you, to yourself respect and to all men charity.

Wisdom and power follow endurance and patience

Veteran Member

There are two ways of spreading light; to be the candle, or mirror that reflects it.

Edith Warton

Veteran Member

How My Father Taught Me Non-Violence
    --posted by Arun Gandhi

I was 16 years old and living with my parents at the institute my grandfather had founded 18 miles outside of Durban, South Africa, in the middle of the sugar plantations. We were deep in the country and had no neighbors, so my two sisters and I would always look forward to going to town to visit friends or go to the movies.

One day, my father asked me to drive him to town for an all-day conference, and I jumped at the chance. Since I was going to town, my mother gave me a list of groceries she needed and, since I had all day in town, my father asked me to take care of several pending chores, such as getting the car serviced. When I dropped my father off that morning, he said, 'I will meet you here at 5:00 p.m., and we will go home together.'

After hurriedly completing my chores, I went straight to the nearest movie theatre. I got so engrossed in a John Wayne double-feature that I forgot the time. It was 5:30 before I remembered. By the time I ran to the garage and got the car and hurried to where my father was waiting for me, it was almost 6:00. He anxiously asked me, 'Why were you late?' I was so ashamed of telling him I was watching a John Wayne western movie that I said, 'The car wasn't ready, so I had to wait,' not realizing that he had already called the garage. When he caught me in the lie, he said: 'There's something wrong in the way I brought you up that didn't give you the confidence to tell me the truth. In order to figure out where I went wrong with you, I'm going to walk home 18 miles and think about it.'

So, dressed in his suit and dress shoes, he began to walk home in the dark on mostly unpaved, unlit roads. I couldn't leave him, so for five-and-a-half hours I drove behind him, watching my father go through this agony for a stupid lie that I uttered.

I decided then and there that I was never going to lie again. I often think about that episode and wonder, if he had punished me the way we punish our children, whether I would have learned a lesson at all. I don't think so. I would have suffered the punishment and gone on doing the same thing. But this single non-violent action was so powerful that it is still as if it happened yesterday. That is the power of non-violence.

*** Arun Manilal Gandhi (born April 14, 1934, Durban, South Africa) is the fifth grandson of Mohandas Gandhi through his second son Manilal.

Veteran Member

Amin Ahsen Islahi writes in Tadabbur ul Quran

"Faiz (awareness) is always given according to potential and ability. Allah pours rains everywhere on earth but the outcome is not the same everywhere. The earth that has potential; it grows lush greenary whilst waste land remains barren. Likewise knowledge of Quran is compared to rain of awareness and different people achive different outcomes from it. Those who keep their inborn abilities alive and read it open mindedly ; it opens their hearts to awareness, in contrast those who have closed their hearts and destroyed their in born abilities ;they will not be able to get any benefit from it. These people will loose the way not in darkness but in full daylight."

Veteran Member

What makes me weak? My fears.
    What makes me whole? My God.
    What keeps me standing? My beliefs.
    What makes me compassionate? My selflessness.
    What makes me honest? My integrity.
    What sustains my mind? My quest for knowledge.
    What teaches me all lessons? My mistakes.
    What lift's my head high? My pride, not arrogance.
    What if I can't go on? Not an option.
    What makes me victorious? My courage to climb.
    What makes me competent? My confidence.
    What makes me sensual? My insatiable essence.
    What makes me beautiful? My everything.
    What makes me a woman? My heart.
    Who says I need love? I do.
    What empowers me? Me.

Salam DocW,

All your above thoughts are beautiful, they brought me close to Your father seems like a wonderful man

Quote Originally Posted by DocW View Post
    What makes me weak? My fears.
    What makes me whole? My God.
    What keeps me standing? My beliefs.
    What makes me compassionate? My selflessness.
    What makes me honest? My integrity.
    What sustains my mind? My quest for knowledge.
    What teaches me all lessons? My mistakes.
    What lift's my head high? My pride, not arrogance.
    What if I can't go on? Not an option.
    What makes me victorious? My courage to climb.
    What makes me competent? My confidence.
    What makes me sensual? My insatiable essence.
    What makes me beautiful? My everything.
    What makes me a woman? My heart.
    Who says I need love? I do.
    What empowers me? Me.
    But this had the opposite affect on me You are a woman! I was sure you were a man!! No offence intended but the John Wayne comments clenched the diagnosis for me! How wrong I am!

I will add one more:

What makes me blind? My assumptions.

Salam

Veteran Member

Daily Hindu Wisdom

They are forever free who renounce all selfish desires and break away from the ego-cage of "I," "me," and "mine" to be united with the Lord. This is the supreme state. Attain to this, and pass from death to immortality.

- Bhagavad Gita 2:71-72

Veteran Member

Salaam Sheemae

Always trust your instincts

I belong to the male gender

This was a quote from a female friend and not my own words

I am very grateful to Allah for my father and mother ( may Allah grant both of them Paradise)

I am grateful to you for taking the time to read my very humble thoughts

Veteran Member

Tazkiya- purification by Amin Ahsen Islahi

Allah has created the soul of human beings in such a manner that He has endowed us with both; inclination as well as potential towards good and evil, in addition, he has also given us the intellect to distinguish between these two. He has then elucidated that the road to success entails us in choosing the path of good when we reach the cross roads of good and evil.

091.007-10
    By the soul and Him who perfected it. And inspired it ( with conscience of ) what is wrong for it and ( what is ) right for it. He will indeed be successful who purifies it. And he will indeed fail who corrupts it.

According to Qur'an; The effort and strife to enhance goodness and to suppress evil with true intention is in essence the meaning as well as purpose of tazkiya or purification.

In Arabic language the meaning of Tazkiya not only entails cleansing something but in addition it entails growth and positive progression.

As such , purification of soul entails that we remove the negative beliefs and intentions from our inner selves, correct our incorrect morals and habits, remove the insensitivity and stagnation produced by the following of blind and old traditions and customs, cleanse the weakness and coward ness created by worldly desires and needs.

Thus our eyes can open , our minds can think, our strength can evolve and our habits could positively improve. With our in born potential corrected to follow the right path ; we could attain the heights of intellectual, moral and spiritual excellance, the potential for which is in born among us.

Veteran Member

“Forgiveness is the economy of the heart ... forgiveness saves the expense of anger, the cost of hatred, the waste of spirits.”........Hannah Moore

Veteran Member

Wisdom is knowing what to do next, skill is knowing how to do it, and virtue is doing it.
    -- David Starr Jordan

Veteran Member

A day will never be any more than what you make of it. Practice being a "doer." Take the time to practice the skills and abilities you want to attain. You must be the change you wish to see in the world. You are all creators. Be an artist and create something today. Whether it is physical or spiritual matters little, but the process of creating matters a lot.

Veteran Member

Old age is like everything else. To make a success of it, you've got to start
    young.
    -- Fred Astaire