Page 48 of 53 FirstFirst ... 38394041424344454647484950515253 LastLast

Thread: thought provoking

Veteran Member

Default Re: thought provoking

If someone wants to know what position he enjoys in the eyes of God, he has only to look at what place he gives to God in his heart and life. [Hakim]

Guidance of the day:
    As for enjoining good and forbidding evil, they are among the greatest of religious activities, the strongest of Islam's foundations, and the most important function of Muslims. By them affairs are straightened and everything runs in a goodly manner. By neglecting them people's rights are lost, boundaries transgressed, truth disappears, and falsehood appears.

Good in this context is everything God has enjoined upon His servants and likes them to do, while evil is everything that God dislikes them to do and likes them to avoid. Enjoining good and forbidding evil is an obligation and there can be no excuse for abandoning it. [Counsels of Religion by Imam al-Haddad]

Food for thought:
    Affliction, like the iron-smith, shapes as it smites. The gem cannot be polished without friction, nor man perfected without trials. Strength is born in the deep silence of long-suffering hearts; not amid joy. Afflictions come to us, not to make us sad but sober; not to make us sorry but wise. Though all afflictions are evils in themselves, yet they are good for us, because they discover to us our disease and tend to cure. By afflictions God is spoiling us of what otherwise might have spoiled us.

Mrs Iffat Hassan

Quote Originally Posted by DocW View Post
    Guidance of the Day:
    What, then, is marriage all about? What makes some marriages successful, and others fail? How do we know if our intended marriage will work? How can we save a marriage that is not working? Why is the divorce rate so high? These are questions that many of us have wrestled with, questions which have too often been answered through pain and hardship.

We might say that our motivation for entering into marriage or a relationship can be distilled to two basic dynamic attitudes: "I am going to get something from this person," or "I am going to share with this person." The first attitude leads only to pain; the second, to joy. The first is seeking to get; the second, to expand. Sharing works, taking doesn't. A house built upon sand cannot stand. The divorce rate affirms this parable. If the relationship is inaugurated on the foundation of celebration and overflow, we will receive many of the things that others marry in order to get, but they come as gifts, and joys, and not as a payoff. [Cohen, The Dragon Doesn't Live Here Anymore]

Food for Thought:
    If the individual is to be happy, healthy, and prosperous, he must change from the Laws of the Mind (negative) to the Laws of the Soul (positive).
    Laws of the Mind are: fear, worry, selfishness, vanity, anger, criticism, envy, greed, hypocrisy, prejudice, jealousy, and hate.
    Laws of the Soul are: faith, hope, generosity, aspiration, patience, sympathy, goodness, kindness, courage, duty, and love.

by

Mrs Iffat hHasan
    very interesting post.. thanx for sharing.

Veteran Member

The price of greatness is responsibility.
    -- Sir Winston Leonard Spenser Churchill

Noah was a brave man to sail in a wooden boat with two termites.
    -- Source Unknown

Veteran Member

Guidance of the day:
    To love, for God's sake, those who obey Him, and to detest, for God's sake, those who disobey Him, are two of the strongest knots of faith. He who is satisfied with God as Lord should of necessity be satisfied with His management of his affairs and the choices He makes for him, including the bitter things He may ordain. He should be content with whatever provision He allots him, remain obedient to Him, careful to perform what He made obligatory upon him and avoid what He forbade him.

He should be patient when enduring His tests, thankful for His favors, desirous to meet Him, satisfied with Him as Patron, Ally, and Guardian, sincere in His worship, relying on Him in both that which he can observe and that which is hidden from his view. He should seek no other help but His in times of difficulty and rely on none other than Him for the fulfillment of his needs. [Counsels of Religion by Imam al-Haddah]

Food for thought:
    Aim at the sun, and you may not reach it; but your arrow will fly far higher than if aimed at an object on a level with yourself. In great attempts it is glorious even to fail. Not failure, but low aim, is crime. High aims form high characters, and great objects bring out great minds.

Mrs Iffat Hassan

Veteran Member

JUST FOR TODAY

Just for today Iwill hold my head high,
    and forget my problems,
    Ican smile and make everyone else's day better,
    even if behind that smile I cry.

Just for today Iwill walk away from a fight,
    though I may feel hurt inside.
    Iwill ignore what is said,
    and continue on peacefully.

Just for today I will set an example,
    when I feel the need to hurt.
    I will laugh and walk away,
    people will admire me more.

Veteran Member

I believe that you create your own destiny. You choose it every day.For me, one of the most important ideas is that you can begin again.The ability to begin again is enshrined in any worthy philosophy.Putting the past behind you doesn't always mean ignoring the past, but learning from it and moving on.

BONO.

Veteran Member

When the One Great Scorer comes to write against your name, He marks, not that you have won or lost, but how you played the game.
    Grantland Rice.

I am only one; but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but still I can do something; I will not refuse to do the something I can do.
    Hellen Keller.

Veteran Member

What happened to 8 wealthiest people in the world?

“In 1923, eight of the wealthiest people in the world met. Their combined wealth, estimated, exceeded the wealth of the government of the United States. These men knew how to make a living and accumulate wealth. 25 years later.

1. President of the largest steel company, Charles Schwab, died bankrupt.

2. President of the largest gas company, Howard Hubson, went insane.

3. One of the greatest commodity traders, Arthur Cutton, died insolvent.

4. President of the New York Stock Exchange, Richard Whitney, was sent to jail.

5. A member of the President’s Cabinet, Albert Fall, was pardoned from jail.

6. The greatest “bear” on Wall Street, Jessie Livermore, committed suicide.

7. President of the world’s greatest monopoly, Ivar Krueger, committed suicide.

8. President, Bank of International Settlement, Leon Fraser, committed suicide.

They forgot to make a life! Just made Money!

Money provides food for the hungry, medicine for the sick, clothes for the needy, but is only a medium of exchange.

We need two kinds of education.

One that teaches us how to make a living and one that teaches us how to live.
    People are engrossed in their professional life and neglect their family, health and social responsibilities.
    Our kids are sleeping when we leave home.
    They are sleeping when we come home.
    Twenty years later, we’ll turn back, and they’ll all be gone !!!!!.

Without water, a ship cannot move.
    The ship needs water, but if the water gets into the ship, the ship will face problems and sink.
    Similarly we live in a time where earning is a necessity but let not the earning enter our hearts, for what was once a means of living will be become a means of destruction.
    So take a moment and ask yourself….has the water entered my ship?”

Veteran Member

LESSON OF TIME

"When a bird is alive...It eats Ants,
    When the bird is dead… Ants eat the bird!
    Time & Circumstances can change at any time……..
    Don’t devalue or hurt anyone in life.

You may be powerful today… But Remember,
    Time is more powerful than you!!!

One tree makes a million match sticks…
    But when the time comes…
    Only one match stick is needed
    to burn a million trees...
    So be good and do good."
    Have a wonderful day ahead

Smile Rebounding

"A smile costs nothing
    A smile is something
    you can't give away;
    it always comes back
    to you."

ALWAYS REMEMBER:

"IT'S EASY TO LAUGH AT OTHERS BUT NOT
    THAT EASY TO MAKE OTHERS LAUGH."

~Authors Unknown

Veteran Member

The good that I have done comes back to give me happiness and the evil that I have done comes back to give me pain.

You are what you do.
    Jack Nicholson.

Fate plays a role, certainly, but there are people who against insurmountable odds, in the face of unspeakable conditions, find a measure of serenity in their lives. Then there are people who have everything and are just blindly miserable.If material good fortune made people happy,there would be nothing but happy people living in Bel Air and unhappy people living in the bush, and that's hardly the case.
    Ed Begley Jr.

Veteran Member

We do not see things as they are.We see things as we are.

Veteran Member

'Ego' is the only requirement to destroy any relationship,
    So be the bigger person skip the 'e' and let go

Veteran Member

All women are created equal,

Then some become marines

Part of me

Veteran Member

Build bridges instead of walls and you will have a friend.
    -- Source Unknown

A young person, to achieve, must first get out of his mind any notion either of the ease or rapidity of success. Nothing ever just happens in this world.
    -- Edward William Bok

One-tenth of the folks run the world. One-tenth watch them run it, and the other eighty percent don't know what the hell's going on.
    -- Jake Simmons

Veteran Member

He who helps in the saving of others, Saves himself as well.
    -- Hartmann Von Aue

When you get right down to the root of the meaning of the word ''succeed,'' you find that it simply means to follow through.
    -- F. W. Nichol