Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Let re-starting a riddle thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 55

Thread: Let re-starting a riddle thread

  1. #1
    (THOAT-wob-lur MAN-grove)
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Hell on the Border
    Posts
    5,002

    Default Let re-starting a riddle thread

    We were having fun with riddles here a while ago, but everyone but myself seemed to lose interest. Maybe with some new members and with the passage of time we can get this thing restarted. Here's the last riddle I posed before. (I hope I didn't post the answer. Just in case I did, don't search for it.) It's another one of my own devising, but I posed it when everyone was losing interest, and I'd like to try it out and see if it's any good, and the only way to do that is to ask people the riddle and roll with it. So let's see if this one of mine is a good one. Here it is again:

    Earth surrounds earth
    And without feeding, feeds it
    Within it gives birth
    And mere mist impedes it


    And here's one not of my own devising, but which is still a good one. I hope you haven't heard it before:

    What is it no one wants to have but no one wants to lose?

  2. #2
    Veteran Member Osman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    England
    Posts
    2,607

    Default Re: Let re-starting a riddle thread

    As-salaamu 'Alaykum Yahya,

    I'll give it a go to get the ball rolling though I expect my answers will be wrong.

    Quote Originally Posted by Yahya Sulaiman View Post
    Earth surrounds earth
    And without feeding, feeds it
    Within it gives birth
    And mere mist impedes it


    Like...a mountain?

    Quote Originally Posted by Yahya Sulaiman View Post
    What is it no one wants to have but no one wants to lose?
    Life?
    "I spent thirty years learning manners, and I spent twenty years learning knowledge."

    ~ 'Abdullāh bin al-Mubārak (rahimahullah)

  3. #3
    (THOAT-wob-lur MAN-grove)
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Hell on the Border
    Posts
    5,002

    Default Re: Let re-starting a riddle thread

    Sorry, but those are indeed wrong. A mountain may have misty tops but nothing about it is impeded by the mist, and it doesn't feed what's within. And lots of people wish they had a life (take me, for instance ).

  4. #4
    (THOAT-wob-lur MAN-grove)
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Hell on the Border
    Posts
    5,002

    Default Re: Let re-starting a riddle thread

    Any more takers?

  5. #5
    Mr Electron Kabeer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Harmonious Orbit
    Posts
    1,173

    Default Re: Let re-starting a riddle thread

    Light?
    “None of you truly believes until he loves for his brother what he loves for himself.”

  6. #6

    Default Re: Let re-starting a riddle thread

    What is it no one wants to have but no one wants to lose?
    a job?



  7. #7
    (THOAT-wob-lur MAN-grove)
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Hell on the Border
    Posts
    5,002

    Default Re: Let re-starting a riddle thread

    Kabeer: I don't know which of the two riddles "light" was supposed to be an answer for, but it isn't the answer to either. Sorry.

    Chuck: Lots of people want to have a job, especially among the homeless.

    Ramsey has answered the second riddle above correctly but for some reason insisted on giving the answer to me secretly in a private message. He wants to see if anyone else can do it.

    I'm more concerned personally with how the first riddle fares, since as I've said that riddle is one of those of my own devising and I'm testing it because I'm still not sure if it's a good one.

  8. #8
    Administrator Ratatosk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 1984
    Posts
    4,827

    Default Re: Let re-starting a riddle thread

    Handses?
    think

  9. #9
    Mr Electron Kabeer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Harmonious Orbit
    Posts
    1,173

    Default Re: Let re-starting a riddle thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Yahya Sulaiman View Post
    Kabeer: I don't know which of the two riddles "light" was supposed to be an answer for, but it isn't the answer to either. Sorry..
    It was meant to be for the first one. The first ones first line confuses me lol.

    So ill move onto the second one....
    Their wife ? lol joke.

    errr...cant think of anything great so Ill say...responsibility?
    “None of you truly believes until he loves for his brother what he loves for himself.”

  10. #10
    (THOAT-wob-lur MAN-grove)
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Hell on the Border
    Posts
    5,002

    Default Re: Let re-starting a riddle thread

    Ratatosk: Funny, precious--nasty little thing these jokses are.

    Kabeer: Responsibility is a fairly good guess, but don't you think that people who don't want it would want to lose it if they got it?

  11. #11
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    1,282

    Default Re: Let re-starting a riddle thread

    The first one is hard, especially because the first sentence doesn't seem to make any sense at all. Perhaps it would make more sense once we know the answer.

    I would have thought soil (it fits the first three) but soil isn't really impeded by mist.

    Are the three "it's" in the sentence referring to the same subject?
    The image-obsessed, bloodthirsty, sensationalistic world outside your window is the real madhouse.

    www.islamic-relief.com

  12. #12

    Default Re: Let re-starting a riddle thread

    I know the answer of the second, I've seen this riddle before. First one sound like wind.



  13. #13
    (THOAT-wob-lur MAN-grove)
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Hell on the Border
    Posts
    5,002

    Default Re: Let re-starting a riddle thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Ramsey View Post
    The first one is hard, especially because the first sentence doesn't seem to make any sense at all. Perhaps it would make more sense once we know the answer.
    I hope so. That's part of what I'm testing by trying out this riddle, whether it makes as much sense as I think. Don't worry, I'll explain the answer fully when I post it.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ramsey
    Are the three "it's" in the sentence referring to the same subject?
    "Earth surrounds earth, and without feeding feeds it," clearly enough (I think; I hope) by the syntax indicates that the latter "earth" is the subject of the feeding. The following two instances of "it" refer to the former "earth" of the first line. However, there is more to it than that, but again only the answer can clarify the whole thing. Perhaps it is an error in the riddle.

    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck
    First one sound like wind.
    That's not it, but I'd like to hear your rationale, because I don't understand it.

  14. #14

    Default Re: Let re-starting a riddle thread

    Well, wind comes to my mind because wind is part of Earth, and carries earth (dust), it is part of earth feeding process dust, clouds, rain, etc.., it gives to birth within in a way currents develop causes more winds, and it is very slow during mist.



  15. #15
    (THOAT-wob-lur MAN-grove)
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Hell on the Border
    Posts
    5,002

    Default Re: Let re-starting a riddle thread

    You came very close to finding an accurate alternate answer, Chuck, but I disagree that it works.

    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck View Post
    Well, wind comes to my mind because wind is part of Earth.
    In the sense of "Earth" you used one could call anything part of Earth that isn't in outer space. There is a reason why wind was counted as a completely separate element from earth even in the Dark Ages, when only four or five elements were said to exist. Also, I said "earth" and not "Earth".

    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck View Post
    It is very slow during mist.
    Wind is not slowed by mist to any degree or in any capacity that I have ever observed or even heard of.

    Any more takers?

Similar Threads

  1. Opinion: Evolution Vs. Intelligent Design
    By Bubba in forum Science and Religion
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 6th May 2006, 02:13
  2. What's up with Homesexual thread?
    By syedhs in forum Technical Support
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 4th October 2005, 13:54
  3. Riddle me this, riddle me that!
    By Yahya Sulaiman in forum General Conversations
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 23rd April 2005, 04:10
  4. Delete "stop the evil" thread
    By Halima in forum Islamic Discussions
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 22nd February 2005, 17:15
  5. An old thread
    By Hashim in forum Islamic Discussions
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 3rd December 2004, 01:18

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •