Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Good Book on History of Islam

Question Good Book on History of Islam

Hello everyone,

It has been a really long time since I have posted here. More than two years I believe. Hope evryone's well with the grace of Allah.

I recently read Martin Lings Biography of Prophet Muhammed (pbuh). However, since then I am unable to find a good and concise book which will present the History of Islam after the passing away of our dear Prophet. What I am looking for is perhaps a book which details the events during the reign of the Khalifas and the expansion of Islam beyond arabia uptill the present situation.

Hope someone here can recommend a good book which is unbiased.

Salaam and Peace
    [Offtopic] I spend my time on my Oracle Forums and my General Forums [/Offtopic]

[Ontopic] To compare translations of the Quran and read Tafsir Jalalayn, refer Quran.com [/Ontopic]

Veteran Member

Default Re: Good Book on History of Islam

I read two recently, easy to read books.
    1,No God but God - Reza Aslan

2,Islam a short history,Karen Armstrong.

Thanks Alan for your suggestions, I researched on both books and generally found from the reviews that Reza Aslan's book concentrates more on his philosophies and opinions than actual history. While Karen Armstrong's book seems more focused on history but it has it's share of criticism.

Also I found this:

A Brief History of Islam by Tamara Sonn

Now the thing is that I am in India, where generally these volumes are expensive and not easily available. I am looking to find a book that presents Historical facts and not merely opinions. So which one do you suggest I should buy?

Peace
    [Offtopic] I spend my time on my Oracle Forums and my General Forums [/Offtopic]

[Ontopic] To compare translations of the Quran and read Tafsir Jalalayn, refer Quran.com [/Ontopic]

Salaam... suggestions please.. anyoone?

Veteran Member

Erm,a surprising lack of responses?
    How much is expensive,Amazon have some very cheap used books,the postage can cost more than the book.

hmmm... surprising lack of responses indeed.. perhaps UI members are busy...

Actually, more than expensive perhaps I am unwilling to pick up a book that presents distorted facts. For example, I have read and heard such conflicting viewpoints on the stories of Hadhrat Ali (RA) and Hadhrat Husein (RA) that it's difficult to know what to believe...

Salaam and Eid Mubarak to everyone... I am extremely disappointed that UI members did not find time to share some suggestions. Perhaps my quest of seeking knowledge on History of Islam wasn't as interesting as some other topics like sexual harasments and sex with non-muslims.

Peace...

Veteran Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sadiq_b View Post
    Salaam and Eid Mubarak to everyone... I am extremely disappointed that UI members did not find time to share some suggestions. Perhaps my quest of seeking knowledge on History of Islam wasn't as interesting as some other topics like sexual harasments and sex with non-muslims.

Peace...
    Eid Mubarak,Sadiq,
    Id like to read another good history,havnt spotted one that appeals yet.

Administrator

Salam Sadiq_b,

I apologize for your disappointment. The history of Islam is quite a large topic and it might be better if you ask for a more specific subject. Hopefully, this will help with your quest.

Regards

Veteran Member

Salams,
    isnt a simple book recommendation specific enough?

Administrator

Salam Alan,

Maybe it's not simple for me, I might be a little slow There is a general book about Islam called, appropriately, Islam by Caesar Farah. Not all that is written in it is accurate, some are blatantly erroneous but for an overall view of Islam from the beginning to pretty much now it's a pretty decent book.

Regards

Salaam Ron and Alan.. and once again Eid Mubarak

Apologies for my frustration... Doesn't Alla say "Surely Allah is with the Patient"

I found a few of books, however I feel this one seems to be most worthy of mention. I am planning on buying this one, it comes in three volumes. Would appreciate comments if anyone has read this one.

History of Islam by Akbar Shah Khan Najeebabadi

Peace...

I have a feeling that's going to be one lousy book. I have come across a book with the same title but I do not recollect the author. The book was about how the muslims have done a great favour to the world with their empire-building and how benevolent and just the muslims have been. It was all about showering praises on the muslim conquests and rulers. It took great pride in the bringing down the "kuffar" to their knees in front of the mighty muslim empire that carried the flag of tawaheed...blah blah blah. I got sick of the book by the end of two chapters. Lousiest history book ever written.

But on the other hand, if you like to take false pride by reading false history then that is the best book written. It'll puff you all up.

I would generally be very sceptical of history books that uncritically took from muslim historians who tended to glorify muslim rule/rulers and muslim conquests.
    1.4 billion people live under the poverty line - 1.25 USD per day. 20000 Africans die needlessly everyday due to AIDS, malaria and TB. 1.02 billion people do not have enough to eat. 3/4s of this are rural poor farmers who will also bear the brunt of global warming.

This is the Publisher's Note:

Publishers Note
    We are presenting before you the third volume of the book History of Islam. This book was originally written in the Urdu language in 1922 (1343 AH) by Akbar Shah Khan Najeebabadi. This was the time about 25 years before the partition of Indian Subcontinent into Pakistan and India. For the purpose of brevity, the compiler has presented the authentic events in concise form from the famous histories of Islam written in the Arabic and Persian languages by the great Muslim historians like Tabari, Ibn Athir, Mas'udi, Abul-Fida', Ibn Khaldun and Suyuti, apart from getting benefited from the authentic books of Ahadith for the compilation of the part about the biography of the Prophet Muhammad . So, this compilation is actually the extract of the works of the famous Muslim historians.
    from http://islamicbookstore.com/b6673.html

Also, I have found these 3 volumes as reference in various other History Books. I feel this won't be as lousy as that. However, if it does turn out as what Vinod says, well at least the effort was worth it.

Also read this review

Veteran Member

I have come across a book with the same title but I do not recollect the author.

Thanks,that made me laugh,you mean you came across a book called The History of Islam?Really
    Puffed up muslims that the world should be greatful for,sounds like the honour the world should pay the British,really