Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Video Vault

Default Jihad Sheilas

The series Jihad Sheilas in seven parts.

It deals with two Australian Women who converted to Islam. You will not find this comforting as it clearly illuminates the way weak personalities are drawn into the world of Islam and ultimately Jihad.

A journey behind closed doors into the world of radical Islam and what the women claim is the true Islam.

Jihad Sheila's Part 1

Jihad Sheila's Part 2

Jihad Sheila's Part 3

Jihad Sheila's Part 4

Jihad Sheila's Part 5

Jihad Sheila's Part 6

Jihad Sheila's Part 7
    Last edited by haulpak; 18th February 2008 at 10:59.

Default Re: Video Vault

Black Gold

If you're a coffee fiend like me, you should see this movie. It documents the plight of subsistence Ethiopian coffee farmers who've formed a cooperative in the struggle to get a fair price in an unregulated international commodity market.

Part 1

Part 2

Part 3

Part 4

Part 5

Part 6

Part 7

Part 8

More info about the fair trade movement here.
    Knowledge shrinks as wisdom grows.
    ~ Alfred North Whitehead

Default Obsession: Radical Islam's War against the West

Obsession is a film about the threat of Radical Islam to Western civilization. Using unique footage from Arab television, it reveals an 'insiders view' of the hatred the Radicals are teaching, their incitement of global jihad, and their goal of world domination.

Part 1

Part 2

Part 3

Part 4

Part 5

Part 6

Part 7

Part 8

Part 9

Part 10

Thanks for the links, haulpak. Your other post was moved to a separate thread, any you can continue the conversation there. This thread is just for videos.
    ~ Alfred North Whitehead

Born into Brothels

This is the story of a group of children, born into prostitution, living in Calcutta's red light district. The film maker provides them with cameras and teaches them photography, and helps some of them get into schools. I thought this would be terribly depressing, but actually it's has a hopeful silver lining.

Born into Brothels
    ~ Alfred North Whitehead

Born into Brothels
    It was painful to see the number of obstacles in the life of these kids to get a regular education. No school wants to take them if they are HIV positive, they can't get a passport if an opportunity shows up outside India, they can't study at home with all the abuses, filth and activities that go on in the brothels, no boarding school is willing to take children of prostitutes, their parents are clueless on what is good for them and most of them are utterly disinterested in their future, the children are well aware of the dark future that awaits them if they don't get an education and despite that they try to live everyday like as if they are normal kids in a a normal neighbourhood.

It was painful to watch this video. I compare my life with that of these kids and there are no words; only an unbridgable chasm. My worries and anxieties seem so petty and crappy. I used to come home and find the warm, embracing arms of my mother with some delicious food. When I didn't feel like going to school my father would gently encourage me. And what do these kids have? Clueless and abusive parents and neighbours, the awareness of a dark future, an antipathic society, slaving for others to get a few rupees upto late in the night. Why does one start to hate that the privilege around oneself that has made us who we are? At these moments, it feels as if I am personally guilty for the state of affairs of these kids. I know the feeling is bound to wear off. But the impact of the video is such as to hate one's existence for its vanity.
    1.4 billion people live under the poverty line - 1.25 USD per day. 20000 Africans die needlessly everyday due to AIDS, malaria and TB. 1.02 billion people do not have enough to eat. 3/4s of this are rural poor farmers who will also bear the brunt of global warming.

Yes, I especially felt sorry for the oldest girl, the quiet one, whose aunt wouldn't let her attend school.

The thing that struck me was how happy, normal, and childish they could still be, in spite of bleak surroundings. And I was glad the chubby boy went to school in the end.

I don't know what language they were speaking. Could you understand it without subtitles?

Well, vinoky, maybe that's something you can do with that law degree someday, eh?
    ~ Alfred North Whitehead

Reel Bad Arabs: How Hollywood Vilifies a People

Dr. Jack Shaheen examines nearly a century of Hollywood's portrayal of Arabs, revealing a consistently degrading parade of stereotypes, comparable to Europe's pre-WWII imagery of Jews.

Part 1

Part 2

Part 3

Part 4

Part 5
    ~ Alfred North Whitehead

Judgment Day: Intelligent Design on Trial

This engrossing PBS Nova special documents the landmark court battle in Dover, Pennsylvania over teaching intelligent design in public schools. Includes interviews and court testimony from Ken Miller, Michael Behe and others. Very good.

Judgment Day: Intelligent Design on Trial
    ~ Alfred North Whitehead

Quote Originally Posted by Muhtadiyah
    I don't know what language they were speaking. Could you understand it without subtitles?
    Bengali. I don't know that language. People in the state of West Bengal in India (Calcutta is the state capital of West Bengal) would know that and so would all Bangladeshis (Bangladesh was East Bengal before partition).

Regards
    1.4 billion people live under the poverty line - 1.25 USD per day. 20000 Africans die needlessly everyday due to AIDS, malaria and TB. 1.02 billion people do not have enough to eat. 3/4s of this are rural poor farmers who will also bear the brunt of global warming.

A History of God

Taken from Karen Armstrong's book of the same title, this film attempts to recount the history of monotheism. Beginning with Abraham and monotheism's emergence from ancient paganism, it traces the evolving concepts of God within Judaism, Christianity and finally Islam. This is told from a completely secular perspective, so I'm sure there's enough here to incense faithful adherents of all three traditions. Never the less, I found it quite fascinating. I was somewhat disappointed, though, that Hinduism was only briefly mentioned - but that's outside the scope of the book.

A History of God
    ~ Alfred North Whitehead

Thanks for the links, haulpak. I moved them to their own thread because they're not documentaries.
    ~ Alfred North Whitehead

Earthlings

A documentary about the atrocities meted out to those species upon which we depend for food, clothing, companionship, entertainment and research. Filled with graphic imagery from all over the world (including surreptitious footage of violations in the U.S.'s largest 'kosher' slaughterhouse), this is utterly heartbreaking. If you've been looking for a reason to go vegetarian, here it is.

Earthlings
    ~ Alfred North Whitehead

The Root of All Evil?

Here's Richard Dawkins in all his polemic glory, making his case against religion. While many of his apprehensions are legitimate concerns which I would share, I think he'd be more effective if he wasn't given to hyperbole. In the opening scene, overlooking a candlelight vigil at Lourdes, he asks, "Isn't this the beginning of that slippery slope that leads to young men with rucksack bombs on the tube?" I had to crack up; it so directly reminded me of a fire-and-brimstone sermon to which I was subjected years ago, in which the preacher tried to persuade us that dancing would inevitably lead to rampant fornication and the disintegration of society.

Part I - The God Delusion

Part II - The Virus of Faith
    ~ Alfred North Whitehead

Quote Originally Posted by mhtdyh
    that dancing would inevitably lead to rampant fornication and the disintegration of society.
    lol. This reminded me of the scholar on memri (video link in another thread) who said that allowing women to drive in Saudi will lead to westernization and immorality of the society. They sure come in all brands of faith, don't they?