Page 1 of 10 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Video Vault

Default Video Vault

Salaam everyone,

Lately, I've had plenty of spare time to stuff my head with information, so I thought I'd share some of the more interesting videos I've come across.

Anyone who wants to contribute a link is welcome to do so, keeping in mind that this thread is intended for documentaries, commentaries, and other informative and educational presentations. The field is open to any topic under the sun, as long as you think it's interesting and beneficial.

If a particular video happens to spark a conversation, I'll spin it off into it's own thread, so as to preserve the integrity of the video vault.

peace,
    mhtdyh
    Knowledge shrinks as wisdom grows.
    ~ Alfred North Whitehead

Default Re: Video Vault

Atheism - A Rough History of Disbelief

This is an investigation into the historical roots of what we now call atheism, from the beginnings of materialism in ancient Greece, through the Reformation and the Age of Reason to the present day. Jonathan Miller, an atheist himself, unapologetically presents religion in a most unflattering light, though he does admit that the atheistic ideology of Soviet Russia incurred more slaughter than the Church at it's most excessive.

Part I - Shadows of Doubt

Part II - Noughts and Crosses

Part III - The Final Hour
    ~ Alfred North Whitehead

The Century of the Self

An Adam Curtis documentary about how Sigmund Freud's psychoanalytical theories became the basis of the new public relations and marketing industries in the U.S., how those industries transformed Americans from active citizens to passive consumers, and the subsequent effect on politics in the U.S. and U.K. Very Good!

Part 1 - Happiness Machines

Part 2 - The Engineering of Consent

Part 3 - There is a Policeman Inside All Our Heads. He Must be Destroyed.

Part 4 - Eight People Sipping Wine in Kettering
    ~ Alfred North Whitehead

The Corporation

I've posted this twice before in other threads, and I'm adding it here for completeness. This is an excellent presentation documenting the legal foundation of the corporation, the psychological characteristics of the coporate 'person', and the immense influence of multinational corporations on politics, society and the environment in an increasingly globalized economy. Must See!

The Corporation: Part I

The Corporation: Part II
    ~ Alfred North Whitehead

Palestine is Still the Issue

The Palestinian/Israeli conflict is an extremely polarizing issue, and finding an even-handed account that doesn't pander to emotionalism and sensationalism is nearly impossible. John Pilger produces one of the better reports I've seen.

Palestine is Still the Issue
    ~ Alfred North Whitehead

Deliver Us from Evil

A film about Father Oliver O'Grady and his 20 year career of child molestation, enabled by the Catholic Church's policy of willful ignorance and cover-up. The subject matter is painful, and the interviews with Father O'Grady, who appears to be a genuine sociopath, are especially difficult to watch. I included this program because I think it's a sobering reminder of the quiet devastation wrought when our religious institutions value reputation over honesty.

The audio lags behind the video, which becomes progressively more annoying, but I couldn't find a better version.

Part 1

Part 2

Part 3

Part 4

Part 5

Part 6

Part 7

Part 8

Part 9

Part 10

Part 11
    ~ Alfred North Whitehead

The Future of Food

Genetic engineering and the patenting of life, contamination of wild and domestic crops by GMO's, the campaign against small farmers by giant agri-business, consolidation of our food production at supply and distribution levels, government corruption, the introduction of terminator technology and the encroachment of agri-business into developing countries with the help of the WB and WTO (especially India, where it has led to an increase in suicides among poor farmers). It's all here. This is a well-made documentary and not as paranoid as my summary may sound, but it will make you think.

The Future of Food
    ~ Alfred North Whitehead

'Palestine is still the issue' was an eye opener for me. People should see it. Targlish should see this video between the 35th min and the 45th min. It is all about the definition of terrorism.
    1.4 billion people live under the poverty line - 1.25 USD per day. 20000 Africans die needlessly everyday due to AIDS, malaria and TB. 1.02 billion people do not have enough to eat. 3/4s of this are rural poor farmers who will also bear the brunt of global warming.

Quote Originally Posted by vinod View Post
    'Palestine is still the issue' was an eye opener for me.
    How so? I would've thought you've seen it all by now, vinod.
    ~ Alfred North Whitehead

When I read about Palestine through the reports by Muslims, I always took it with scepticism, given the particular hate that muslims have for the jews. There is very little I can accept from muslim sources because of their kafir-muslim mentality. Such a mentality is as bad as that of the people behind Fox news. You can trust muslim sources as much as you can trust Fox news.

This video was not from a muslim or a jew and I can give it a lot more credibility.

Regards
    1.4 billion people live under the poverty line - 1.25 USD per day. 20000 Africans die needlessly everyday due to AIDS, malaria and TB. 1.02 billion people do not have enough to eat. 3/4s of this are rural poor farmers who will also bear the brunt of global warming.

An Inconvenient Truth

For those who haven't heard of this yet, it's the documentary film compilation of Al Gore's mission to sound the alarm against global warming, for which he won the Nobel Peace Prize. If you haven't seen it, I highly recommend it.

An Inconvenient Truth
    ~ Alfred North Whitehead

The Power of Nightmares: The Rise of the Politics of Fear

Another series by Adam Curtis, that correlates the rise of American neo-conservatism and Islamist movements in the east. It begins with the political philosophies of Leo Strauss in the U.S. and Sayyid Qutb in Egypt, and tracks the respective ideological threads through the liberation of Afghanistan from the Soviets, the end of the Cold War, the first Gulf War, and 9/11 to the present. Mr. Curtis' contention is that the neo-conservatives have grossly exaggerated and distorted the threat of Islamic terrorism, effectively creating the myth of Al-Qaida, in order to further their own agenda.

Part I - Baby, It's Cold Outside

Part II - The Phantom Victory

Part III - The Shadows in the Cave

If you have any difficulty getting certain portions to download, you can find an alternate version with a little searching, as each episode has been posted several times.
    ~ Alfred North Whitehead

Fahrenheit 9/11

Michael Moore's critique of the Bush administration, the 'war on terrorism', and network media, done in his signature style. If I recall correctly, this was the first documentary film to open in the top ten at the U.S. box office. I attended when it premiered at my local cinema, shortly before the 2004 election. People were lined up around the block waiting to get in, and there were volunteers patrolling the queues, registering everyone to vote. The theatre was packed to overcapacity, with folks standing in the aisles. Seeing Bush get reelected after that was quite a surprise.

Part 1

Part 2

Part 3

Part 4

Part 5

Part 6

Part 7

Part 8

Part 9

Part 10

Part 11

Part 12
    ~ Alfred North Whitehead

Part I - Shadows of Doubt

Part II - Noughts and Crosses

Part III - The Final Hour
    I got to respect and like Miller a lot since the first video of his; it was an interview of some famous atheists he conducted. He is very honest and has good clarity of thought. His videos are very enlightening.

Jesus Camp

I tried watching this when it was first released a couple years ago, and quit in disgust before it was half over; I just recently made myself see it through. The politicised brand of christianity being taught to the children here is deeply antithetical to the pacifistic christianity that forms my background, so I'm posting it with some strange, residual embarassment. It does raise questions about the difference between normal, healthy parental guidance in matters of religious belief, and manipulation or brainwashing.

Part 1

Part 2

Part 3

Part 4

Part 5

Part 6

Part 7

Part 8

Part 9
    ~ Alfred North Whitehead