Thread: Online petition asks Wikipedia to remove pictures of Muhammad(pbuh)

Default Online petition asks Wikipedia to remove pictures of Muhammad(pbuh)

An article about the Prophet Muhammad in the English-language Wikipedia has become the subject of an online protest in the last few weeks because of its representations of Muhammad, taken from medieval manuscripts.
    In addition to numerous e-mail messages sent to Wikipedia.org, an online petition cites a prohibition in Islam on images of people. The petition has more than 80,000 (now its 131,906 so far) "signatures," though many who submitted them to ThePetitionSite.com remained anonymous.

"We have been noticing a lot more similar sounding, similar looking e-mails beginning mid-January," said Jay Walsh, a spokesman for the Wikimedia Foundation in San Francisco.

A Frequently Asked Questions page explains the site's polite but firm refusal to remove the images: "Since Wikipedia is an encyclopedia with the goal of representing all topics from a neutral point of view, Wikipedia is not censored for the benefit of any particular group."
    The notes left on the petition site come from all over the world.

"It's totally unacceptable to print the prophet's picture," Saadia Bukhari from Pakistan wrote in a message. "It shows insensitivity towards Muslim feelings and should be removed immediately."

Paul Cobb, who teaches Islamic history at the University of Notre Dame in Indian, said, "Islamic teaching has traditionally discouraged representation of humans, particularly Muhammad, but that doesn't mean it's nonexistent." He added, "Some of the most beautiful images in Islamic art are manuscript images of Muhammad."

The idea of imposing a ban on all depictions of people, particularly Muhammad, dates to the 20th century, he said. With the Wikipedia entry, he added, "what you are dealing with is not medieval illustrations, you are dealing with modern media and getting a modern response."

Source: http://www.iht.com/articles/2008/02/...ology/wiki.php

This is the link to online petition and this is the original link to wiki article. In my humble opinion, as long as the pictures were made to document history, everyone should have the right to know. Wikipeida was created to document knowledge. But if its there to create controversy then may be they should do something. Nevertheless, I just don't understand why Muslims can't shut their mouths on useless issues! But I'm happy! They are doing it peacefully this time.
    Last edited by Roswell; 11th February 2008 at 13:53.
    Google is my survival.

Default Re: Online petition asks Wikipedia to remove pictures of Muhammad(pbuh)

Whats the problem????

So you have a few zealous Muslim types out of 5 billion people who want to remove illustrations of Muhammed from wikipedia? WOW!!!!

Maybe it does not occur to these 'zealous' types, that there are multiple methods of 'learning'..... one of which is visual, or visualisation.

Do they really want to deprive people of this? or is this yet another extreamist Muslim position in an effort to de-sensitise, de-humanise and censor the "life of Muhammed" or Muhammed in general??

Seriously, this is a non-issue and there are far more important things to be dealt with than this, which is nothing but a ridiculous distraction!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Roswell

Nevertheless, I just don't understand why Muslims can't shut their mouths on useless issues!
    Some people just can't help themselves!!!!
    Last edited by Targlish; 11th February 2008 at 14:03.

Google is my survival.

Roswell, did I read that right?? there are only 889 people who have 'signed' the Petition???

Correct, but this virtual-idiotic-egoistic-fun-war will go on I believe.

Hey just compare the information on english wiki and muslim wiki on the same topic.
    Google is my survival.

Quote Originally Posted by Roswell
    Nevertheless, I just don't understand why Muslims can't shut their mouths on useless issues!
    I'll second that.
    1.4 billion people live under the poverty line - 1.25 USD per day. 20000 Africans die needlessly everyday due to AIDS, malaria and TB. 1.02 billion people do not have enough to eat. 3/4s of this are rural poor farmers who will also bear the brunt of global warming.

Quote Originally Posted by Roswell View Post
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Depictions_of_Muhammad

Other Muslims have taken a more relaxed view. Some, particularly Iranian Shi'a scholars, accept respectful depictions, and use illustrations of Muhammad in books and architectural decoration, as have Sunnis at various points in the past.

A fatwa given by Ali al-Sistani, the Shi'a marja of Iraq, states that it is permissible to depict Muhammad, even in television or movies, if done with respect

If Muslims are serious about banning all depiction of Mohammed, they will first have to burn down their own museums. Some contemporary Shiites permit depicting Mohammed: "Shiite Muslims do not impose a blanket ban on representations of the prophet and some in Iran's provincial towns and villages even carry drawings said to be of Mohammed." (Iran: U.S., Europe Should Pay for Drawings, by NASSER KARIMI, Associated Press Writer, February 11, 2006).

Ayatollah al-Sistani's website, www.sistani.org, addresses the permissibility of drawing in general:

"§ Question : Is it permissible to draw or produce a scene which shows the Prophet Muhammad (s.a.w.), one of the past prophets or the infallible Imams (a.s.), or other luminaries and show it in cinema, on television or theatre?

§ Answer : If due deference and respect is observed, and the scene does not contain anything that would detract from their holy pictures in the minds [of the viewers], there is no problem." (www.sistani.org.)

http://www2.let.uu.nl/Solis/anpt/ejos/pdf4/07Ali.pdf

Ali, Wijdan. "From the Literal to the Spiritual: The Development of Prophet Muhammad's Portrayal from 13th Century Ilkhanid Miniatures to 17th Century Ottoman Art".

In Proceedings of the 11th International Congress of Turkish Art, eds. M. Kiel, N. Landman, and H. Theunissen. No. 7, 1–24. Utrecht, The Netherlands, August 23-28, 1999, p. 7
    There is only one God and He is God to all; therefore it is important that everyone is seen as equal before God. I’ve always said we should help a Hindu become a better Hindu, a Muslim become a better Muslim, a Catholic become a better Catholic ~ Blessed Mother Teresa

Administrator

Don't the "protestors" know those drawings were made by Muslims? It's not like the Wiki-Artists sat and made them...

Salam,

My prediction: pretty soon we'll see a Petition Against The Petition Against The Petition Against The Petition Against The Petition Against The Petition to stop the Petition Agai[#¤%&&/_NO_CARRIER]
    think

Veteran Member

Out of interest,I was told that the Vatican has an ancient picture of Mohammad,pbuh.

I finally saw the Wiki article. I can't wait to get my hands on the muslims who started that petition and box their ears. They really need a life.
    1.4 billion people live under the poverty line - 1.25 USD per day. 20000 Africans die needlessly everyday due to AIDS, malaria and TB. 1.02 billion people do not have enough to eat. 3/4s of this are rural poor farmers who will also bear the brunt of global warming.

The irony in all of this is that those pictures were more than likely drawn by Muslims and similar examples can be found throughout Persian and Ottoman religious literature.
    "Allah is the point. If it is other-than-Allah, then it is besides the point." - Nuh Ha Mim Keller

If Muhammad were alive today I wouldn't be surprised if he were wired like everybody else and using Wikipedia because it's a fountain of knowledge. I've seen those pictures; they're medieval Persian art. I was surprised recently because I looked in Yahoo images hoping find more Persian art depicting Muhammad and the first thing that appeared was the notorious bomb head created by the Danish cartoonist.

Hmmm I wonder how many Muslims also wrote in and complained about the pictures is Jesus and Moses on their respective articles?
    “None of you truly believes until he loves for his brother what he loves for himself.”

Mr Roswell, i can understand why you do not give importance to these things reson is simple

If any one abuses our parents then can we bear or if anyone makes funny pictures of them , can we tolertae

answer is No if we love them, because we can never think that anyone make fun of our leaders, either Prophets, Parents, or Teachers,... So similarly we cannot think of doing such bloody things which people think freedom.

We love our beloved Prophet PBUH because these are His teachings that we respect All Prophets even yours..

So if you have parents( i wish you have any idea about them)then so must know if anyone else make fun of them then how it hurts.