Page 1 of 16 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Sunni or Shia..Who's right?

3 years in the deen Sameer Abdul Hadi's Avatar

Default Sunni or Shia..Who's right?

Salaams,

I already know i am opening up a can of worms by asking this question but I wanna understand what makes this segregation click. Everyone says i'm wrong for not understanding it. So I want some enlightenment. The rest of the net sucks at describing it so someone lay it down for me.

NO DEBATES
    Stick close to the true path.

Default Re: Sunni or Shia..Who's right?

All

Pls do not answer this question.

Sameer

There are tons of threads related to this subject in the 'Islamic Sectarian issues forum'. Pls go there and take the time to read through the stuff. When multiple pointed threads have not made the matter clear, then one other thread is not going to either.

Salam
    1.4 billion people live under the poverty line - 1.25 USD per day. 20000 Africans die needlessly everyday due to AIDS, malaria and TB. 1.02 billion people do not have enough to eat. 3/4s of this are rural poor farmers who will also bear the brunt of global warming.

Quote Originally Posted by Sameer Abdul Hadi View Post
    Everyone says i'm wrong for not understanding it
    Shalom,

What exactly is the wrongness?

The Sunni world is multi-faceted enough to provide you with decades of fun...

The Amman Message
    reclaim your religion from extremists

3 years in the deen Sameer Abdul Hadi's Avatar

@ Vinod...I cannot seem to get a straight up explanation from anyone. Everyone on here argues so much it makes me sick.

@ Newx...

I hate the whole segregation thing in islam...that makes me sick too. And when i say i dont believe in sunni/shiaism..people say im WRONG.

So now i want a study guide explanation.
    Stick close to the true path.

Quote Originally Posted by Sameer Abdul Hadi View Post
    @ Newx...

I hate the whole segregation thing in islam...that makes me sick too. And when i say i dont believe in sunni/shiaism..people say im WRONG.

So now i want a study guide explanation.
    Shalom,

Not believing in the schism doesn't make it go away. Just accept that there are differences and move on.

I don't want to prolong this conversation because it is my experience that these types of threads attract the worst sort of characters. Just take note of the names that are soon going to appear after mine and you'll get a fair idea of what I'm talking about.

The Amman Message

Sameer, I have left a post for you in the thread opened by Pipman. Pls take a look.
    1.4 billion people live under the poverty line - 1.25 USD per day. 20000 Africans die needlessly everyday due to AIDS, malaria and TB. 1.02 billion people do not have enough to eat. 3/4s of this are rural poor farmers who will also bear the brunt of global warming.

Veteran Member

bro Sameer has raised a very valid issue.

My humble take is to ask every person who claims to be a muslim one question, Was prophet pbuh shia or sunni?

In my opinion he was a Muslim full stop. so shia and sunni are man made and post prophet pbuh.

I consider myself to be a Muslim. I have no other identity.

We must define the criteria for being a muslim and that may entail belief in kalimah, salat, zakat,fasting and performing Hajj if financially possible. belief in Quran and sunnah of prophet pbuh. Beyond that is all history. The sectarianism in every religion is historical not mentioned in their texts or made by their respective prophets.

If someone says salat with hands open or closed, is not an issue for me.If someone opens fasts 5 minutes later is not an issue for me. Let us concentrate on essential beliefs that make us muslims and not ahadith that are khabr i wahid and not a source of religion.Islamic sectarianism has its basis in ahadith.

What I find difficult to accept is and I state that with utmost respect, the hate campaign encouraged about leading sahabha. This is history and not religion.What is the ethos of Islam. worship and humility, not political hatred. We must try to bring the Muslim Ummah together and unite them and not look for reasons to find differences among us. We must not confuse history with essential religion. For me , what has happened among individuals, Allah will be the judge on the Day of Judgement. Should we continue to debate issues between Aishay pbuh and Ali pbuh. on the basis of hearsay.What good would it do and how does it strenghthen our iman. Does it make us better muslims. We must use our energies in bringing Muslims together. We have a lot more in common then what we differ in. The essentials of religion as I understand are the same. Time to ponder

Quote Originally Posted by DocW View Post
    We must define the criteria for being a muslim and that may entail belief in kalimah, salat, zakat,fasting and performing Hajj if financially possible. belief in Quran and sunnah of prophet pbuh. Beyond that is all history. The sectarianism in every religion is historical not mentioned in their texts or made by their respective prophets.
    Shalom,

Your generous spirit reminds me of a beautiful but apocryphal tradition that Imam Abu Hasan al-Ashari had, on his deathbed, uttered these words:

"I bear witness that I regard no one among the ahl al-qibla as a disbeliever, for they all direct their hearts to the same object of worship."

The Amman Message

Quote Originally Posted by DocW View Post
    My humble take is to ask every person who claims to be a muslim one question, Was prophet pbuh shia or sunni?

In my opinion he was a Muslim full stop. so shia and sunni are man made and post prophet pbuh.
    I consider this more then opinion, I consider this fact. After all the whole sect question began as a political matter (a petty matter reserved for Creation and not Creator (swt)), who was to be caliph and such. This of course took place after the prophet (pbuh) died. Therefore logically he cannot have been either.

Hmm, that is something interesting to ponder about:

Dead men know no sect, only consequences.
    The image-obsessed, bloodthirsty, sensationalistic world outside your window is the real madhouse.

www.islamic-relief.com

Quote Originally Posted by DocW
    Was prophet pbuh shia or sunni?
    I think for the sectarian minded, this question is a no-brainer. Nothing profound in it for them. Though the Prophet did not call himself either and though the labels were made later, what is being done through the labels is to describe in one word the essence of the doctrine/beliefs that the Prophet brought.

Salam

I am all for unity, but I do not think that there will be a united stand between these two groups. Their ideologies, and even theologies are not the same. When we look at similarities like salaah, zakaah, hajj e.t.c, we think that there is a lot that unites us, and that is true. However, it seems that the doctrine of imaamat that is held by the Shi'ah, is such a big difference, that, to the eyes on both sides, it makes the similarities look small. The Shi'ah are perturbed because the Sunnis reject this doctrine, and the Sunnis are perturbed because the Shi'ahs ascribe to it and the emphasis they put on it. That is the main issue between the two groups, with other issues having slowly been introduced over the centuries, from ideologies like the Mu'tazali e.t.c. I am sure that when the Sunni-Shi'ah thing started, the ideologies of all the 2 sides were very similar, except for that political thing. However, now one can see how different the beliefs have become, and how the two groups are orientated are different things.

Personally, I am not a man of politics, so I do not like a huge amount of politics in my deen. That is why I steer clear of groups who worship less and shout political slogans more ~ whether it be along London's main road, or whether it be through the books of history.

all lies and rubbish

When you cool off, alinsan, care to elaborate.

Salam,
    Quote Originally Posted by vinod View Post
    Pls do not answer this question.

Salam
    Aye, aye, sir.

Regards,
    think

guys listen to work on a simple logic here is what i think.
    One thing muslims all know that they should obey the prophet. so when the prophet chose hazrat ali as his successor the we should follow him. I know this is a very debatable statement so lets look at this way. Hazrat Ali and his sons were no doubt the prophets blood now . What do you think ? u should believe muawiyah who killed the prophets grandson . actaully prophets blood .And on the other hand muawiyah did all those things which were prohibited in islam . Now its upto u guys to see what is wright and what is wrong but i can gurantee u that if a nuetral person who is not a muslim even could simply identify who is right and who is wrong . The truth is in frront of us now its upto us to believe in it or not