Page 1 of 56 123456789101151 ... LastLast

Thread: Does the Quran say the earth is flat?

Banned

Default Does the Quran say the earth is flat?

Does the Quran say the earth is flat? Seems like it is from what I've read. How is this explained?

Default Re: Does the Quran say the earth is flat?

Welcome to the forum .

Can you give any verses from the Quran to support this view? Im pretty sure youll find any view to consider the Quran is saying the world is flat is purely a matter of squeezing the meaning out of the words. (i.e. specifically looking at the text with the intent of finding that meaning in it).

Peace.
    “None of you truly believes until he loves for his brother what he loves for himself.”

Banned

Hi Kabeer. I'd have to find the verses, but I remember reading about this and looking it up and seeing many descriptions of the creation of it being something that Allah laid out, or spread out, or in some instance, flattened out. So I had it explained to me a bunch of verses that meant it was spread out and flattened out, and it seemed like all the verses did say that. I can't see why someone would mention spreading out of flattening out when describing the creation of a sphere. How can this be?

You mean spreading the earth out? Like tectonic plates and how there used to be a single super continent land mass called 'pangea' before it broke up and spread apart?

Peace

"Gentleness does not enter anything except that it beautifies it and harshness does not enter anything except that it disfigures it."

~ Prophet Muhammad.

Banned

Why does it always say earth instead of land? Plus, it even uses the analogy of a carpet, so it's not talking about something fragmenting and spreading out, it appears to be talking about flattening something that was not flat. That's what dahaha means. Plus, it tells us that heaven was raised above the earth. It doesn't seem likely that it's talking about techtonic plates.

Peace Arnold

Just thought I would comment on your carpet query... Y'know the Earth is so large that it isn't hard to put a carpet on all of it . It isn't as small as a ball that it is difficult to conceive a "carpet". Allah talks about the Earth having been spread out for us as a carpet to pray on... what is terribly faulty in that?

Regards

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Haroon View Post
    Peace Arnold

Just thought I would comment on your carpet query... Y'know the Earth is so large that it isn't hard to put a carpet on all of it . It isn't as small as a ball that it is difficult to conceive a "carpet". Allah talks about the Earth having been spread out for us as a carpet to pray on... what is terribly faulty in that?

Regards
    I've just never heard of somebody speaking of something that is round as "spread out". Spread out seems to denote flatness, just like a prayer carpet is flat. You take a round roll, and spread it out and flatten it out. That's what we do with a prayer carpet. So what is Allah trying to tell us? I think he was trying to tells us that perhaps the earth was round, but Allah spread it out and flattened it so that we could live on it. Otherwise, we would fall off a round earth.

Salaam Arnold,

Flat does not mean absence of incline or curve. It means absence of perceived incline or curve. Many of the plane states of the united states reach high elevation while remaining still "flat" because the incline is so small. Think the same way with sphere and flat. The curvature is too little for the person to easily perceive it and that is why it is "flat" and sphere at the same time.

Take care and have a great day.

Hussein
    To consider that our logic is logical all the time is actually illogical. To consider that our understanding of the text is correct all the time is also illogical.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by hlatif View Post
    Salaam Arnold,

Flat does not mean absence of incline or curve. It means absence of perceived incline or curve. Many of the plane states of the united states reach high elevation while remaining still "flat" because the incline is so small. Think the same way with sphere and flat. The curvature is too little for the person to easily perceive it and that is why it is "flat" and sphere at the same time.

Take care and have a great day.

Hussein
    So Allah was telling us what we perceive rather than the real thing? Remember, he's telling us what he did when he created the earth. He's not talking about how we perceive it, he's telling us what he did. It wasn't flat at one point, then Allah flattened it and spread it out to make it habitable for man. So the earth wasn't always flat, according to the Quran. It became flat after Allah spread it out. So this doesn't match your "perception" explanation very well. It matches a flat earth much better. Why would anybody think otherwise? I can't see any good reason to.

Because the word that was used for flatten means "Spread out" which can look flat but is not necessarily so.

Hussein
    To consider that our logic is logical all the time is actually illogical. To consider that our understanding of the text is correct all the time is also illogical.

Banned

Okay, but I've never heard someone say anything about spreading out when they are making a ball. Seems almost like the opposite. When you make a ball, it's more like you are bringing things together rather than spreading them out.

Peace be upon you,

Why does it always say earth instead of land? Plus, it even uses the analogy of a carpet, so it's not talking about something fragmenting and spreading out, it appears to be talking about flattening something that was not flat. That's what dahaha means. Plus, it tells us that heaven was raised above the earth. It doesn't seem likely that it's talking about techtonic plates.
    Actually, you are almost correct. The desert was a familiar enivornment to the Arabs, and in their travels it was the tent that shielded them from the harsh environment.

The Quran is employing imagery OF A TENT in this verse. The earth is described as being spread out like a carpet, i.e. made comfortable for living. Entering into a beduoin tent, one would come across beautiful carpets that covered the ground and made sitting comfortable. The heavens being 'raised above the earth' is another imagery employed, i.e. the heavens are the roof of the tent that provide shade from the harsh environment. The Quran in other verses, also speak about the mountains as pegs providing stability to the arth. The mountains are also playing off the imagery of the pegs of a tent which stabilize the foundation of the tent. The Holy Book is playing off the psychology of the Arabs and their concept of chivalry. Welcoming guests and providing them comfort as well as a place of rest for their journey was something looked highly upon. The tent he is currently staying in, God is the owner of it and God is the best at being chivalrous. Men have been provided, and are being provided with what the best the earth has to offer. God has spread out the carpets for men to rest, and has provided them with delicious fruits to eat. God has provided them shelter from the harsh sun, as well as given them a comfortable place to sleep and regain their energy.

This imagery takes us conceptually to the concept of temporality of the world. Man is on a journey in this life. Just as a tent is one day folded up and men leave their temporary home, the heavens and earth will be folded up and man will proceed on the next journery of their life. The Quran often speaks about the heavens and earth folding up as well.

One of the interesting aspects of these type of verses, as Neal Robinson points out, is the sound of the recitation. The building of this tent sounds like the banging of a hammer when reciting it.

The Quran is NOT a scientific textbook. And interpreting verses in light of science distorts the message, as well as the literary master-piece that is the Quran. Grand literature often eploys styles which are totally in an opposite world from the styles of a technical book.
    Last edited by ihsan; 9th July 2007 at 16:28.

Quote Originally Posted by ihsan View Post

The Quran is NOT a scientific textbook. And interpreting verses in light of science distorts the message, as well as the literary master-piece that is the Quran. Grand literature often eploys styles which are totally in an opposite world from the styles of a technical book.
    You could have fooled me. "The Quran is FULL of Science" ... "The Quran reveals MANY Miracles"......"The Quran is Perfect" ..... "The Quran adds up to 19".....This is clearly a claim perpetuated by many Muslims. Are they ALL correct???? mmmmm

I still refer to Vinod on this matter, acquies to his better judgement.

Ihsan... are you ALWAYS this argumentative? or is it just 'that' time of month?

I was always told my my Muslim friends the Quran says the earth is 'eliptical'.

Administrator

Camden202,

Again, your personal tastless comments are not welcomed. This is your last warning. We have given you a place where you may converse with a variety of people, but especially Muslims about many issues. Either you are going to take this opportunity to learn and teach or add to the waste that the earth is already full of. I urge you to maintain an elevated level of dialog.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Camden202 View Post
    You could have fooled me. "The Quran is FULL of Science" ... "The Quran reveals MANY Miracles"......"The Quran is Perfect" ..... "The Quran adds up to 19".....This is clearly a claim perpetuated by many Muslims. Are they ALL correct???? mmmmm

I still refer to Vinod on this matter, acquies to his better judgement.

Ihsan... are you ALWAYS this argumentative? or is it just 'that' time of month?

I was always told my my Muslim friends the Quran says the earth is 'eliptical'.
    Yes, I was told this by many Muslims as well. Lets look at what Zakir Naik says.

http://www.islamicvoice.com/september.2000/religion.htm

4. Earth is geo-spherical in shape

The Quran mentions the actual shape of the earth in the following verse: “And we have made the earth egg shaped”. [Al-Quran 79:30]

The Arabic word Dahaha means egg shaped. It also means an expanse. Dahaha is derived from Duhiya which specifically refers to the egg of an ostrich which is geo-spherical in shape, exactly like the shape of the earth.

Thus the Quran and modern established science are in perfect harmony.
    But this isn't true. It turns out that dahaha does not mean the shape of an ostrich egg, but rather the action of the ostrich spreading out the ground and flattening it when it hides it's eggs. So this is yet another indication of spreading out and flattening. Naik was BSing people. Most of the things I've read truly seem to point to a non flat earth that Allah spread out and flattened out in order to make it habitable for us. He saw the other planets and the sun and moon as round and probably figured the earth was originally that way too, but that Allah flattened it out so we wouldn't fall off of it. That was the only thing that could make sense to him.