Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Prophet pbuh's marriage to Hazrat Khadijah rta

Veteran Member

Default Prophet pbuh's marriage to Hazrat Khadijah rta

I will be grateful for the views of my learned friends on the reasons behind the marriage of prophet pbuh to Hazrat Khadijah rta. As I understand, Hazrat Khadijah was 40 years old and a widow, prophet pbuh was 25 an unmarried till then. We are talking about a male dominated-suppressed women rights syndrome. Wives were won and lost in gambling. Some say girls were killed when they were born. Polygamy was socially acceptable. Why did prophet pbuh chose to accept such a match. Even today such an age difference would be unusual. The only historical fact we know is that Hazrat Khadijah rta was a rich lady.

Default Re: Prophet pbuh's marriage to Hazrat Khadijah rta

Quote Originally Posted by DocW View Post
    I will be grateful for the views of my learned friends on the reasons behind the marriage of prophet pbuh to Hazrat Khadijah rta. As I understand, Hazrat Khadijah was 40 years old and a widow, prophet pbuh was 25 an unmarried till then. We are talking about a male dominated-suppressed women rights syndrome. Wives were won and lost in gambling. Some say girls were killed when they were born. Polygamy was socially acceptable. Why did prophet pbuh chose to accept such a match. Even today such an age difference would be unusual. The only historical fact we know is that Hazrat Khadijah rta was a rich lady.

Salaam DocW,

Add to the fact that he was married to her for 27 years until her death, when rasool Allah was 52 years old. Rasool Allah lived for 10 more years and died at the age of 62. I beleive it was Khadija who purposed the marriage to him and rasool Allah accepted her offer.

The same year rasool Allah's uncle died too, who used to protect rasool Allah from the Quresh tribe for his preaching of Islam.

The grief on rasool Allah was too much, having lost two loved ones in the same year. No longer protected, rasool Allah had to fled to Yatrib, now Medina, thus leaving the house of his beloved wife Khadija, who was the first person to convert to Islam.

The last 10 years were the most difficult for the rasool Allah, but in these last 10 years he brought all the tribes under the unification of Islam, the ummah.

Wa' Salaam

Mohamed

Why did prophet pbuh chose to accept such a match?
    He may have personally been attracted to her character having worked for her and known her as an employer.

We are talking about a male dominated-suppressed women rights syndrome. Wives were won and lost in gambling. Some say girls were killed when they were born. Polygamy was socially acceptable.
    I don't see any of the above influencing the Prophet's decision.

Was-salam

I have always assumed that the Prophet (pbuh) was an excellent judge of character. There are far more alluring things about women then breasts and the vigour of youth for those perceptive enough to see.
    The image-obsessed, bloodthirsty, sensationalistic world outside your window is the real madhouse.

www.islamic-relief.com

Quote Originally Posted by DocW View Post
    Hazrat Khadijah was 40 years old and a widow, prophet pbuh was 25 an unmarried till then. We are talking about a male dominated-suppressed women rights syndrome. Wives were won and lost in gambling. Some say girls were killed when they were born. Polygamy was socially acceptable.
    In the age of polygamy he chose monogamy from his own choice for a huge portion of his life.

In the age of a male dominated society he chose to work for a woman.

In the age of men marrying virgins he chose to marry a widow in the prime of his youth.

In the age of girls being buried alive, he raised four.

Speaking purely in non-religious, non-prophetic terms, He rose above the rigid social confines of the society.
    There is only one God and He is God to all; therefore it is important that everyone is seen as equal before God. I’ve always said we should help a Hindu become a better Hindu, a Muslim become a better Muslim, a Catholic become a better Catholic ~ Blessed Mother Teresa

Veteran Member

answer given by my friend AR

firstly the male dominated supressed women thing was not a univeral rule in Arabia of the time. If gilrs were killed when they were born then how did Arab survived? Not all tribes and groups were the same and even not all individuals and families were the same.
    All the evidences that we have from history point to the fact that they felt in love with each other. After passing away of Khadija the Prophet never failed to mentioned her as her best wife, not even in front of Ayesha. Yes, today this age difference is unusual but even today we can think of similar cases. Those days it was not unusual at all. The age gap between the two people were never an issue.
    (you might be interested to explore according to some Christians what was the age gap between Marry and Joseph).

I didn't know he had four daughters. Is that true? His own blood?

I thought he only had Ibrahim (pbuh) who died in his infancy and Fatima (pbuh) who died three months after he did at the ripe age of 19.

The prophet (pbuh) had four daughters and two sons from Khadijah. The two sons died young. Ibrahim was the son of Maria the Egyptian.

All the prophet's daughters died before his death except for Fatima (R) who died six months later. One of them, Zainab, had a wonderful love story with her husband.

Take care sister.

Hussein
    To consider that our logic is logical all the time is actually illogical. To consider that our understanding of the text is correct all the time is also illogical.

South Carolina, USA Favourite Place: My Childhood Looking Forward to Tomorrow

Smile Re: the Prophet marriages

This is a very interesting thread and I hope that you all and others will continue to contribute to it. I have long found Khadija al-Kubra and Muhammed's relationship of interest.
    In another thread, which I care not to mention by name, somebody has implied really dreadful things about the holy Muhammed's marriage to a girl who had not yet reached maturity. I took and take extreme exception to such base insinuations, and would like to point out that marriages even a hundred years ago were often arranged for the protection of individuals and understood as contracts, or alliances between families —and not as legal arrangements sanctioning sexual misadventures.
    Sri Ramakrishna, considered an Avatar of God by many modern people, was "married" to a five-year-old girl, Sarada Devi, when he was 23. For an Indian today to accuse him of any "weirdness" or "immorality" on that account would be absurd. I could say more, that they did not "live together" til she was 16; but that might give rise to the idea in certain unquestioning people that they shared intimate physical or sexual contact, which was definitely not the case. "Holy Mother," as Sri Sarada Devi came to be known, simply lived a life of service, preparing Sri Ramakrishna's meals and the like. And he imparted special blessings to her. It's more the case that Sarada Devi was "chosen out and honored" to be Sri Ramakrishna's wife, than that anyone would judge harsh judgment on her or on Sri Ramakrishna, the "Saint-Maker."

Likewise, I should think, with Muhammed and the "girl."

But back to Khadija al-Kubra. Some sources I've seen show her much closer in age to Muhammed than other sources. The maximum difference I've seen is 15 years, and the minimum 4. Please, can anyone say more on this. My mind is open (therefore curious). I'll bet she was a beautiful woman, and it is clear that Muhammed truly loved her.

Peace
    All which isn't singing is mere talking,
    and all talking's talking to oneself.
    —e e cummings

Sri Ramakrishna
    Are you talking about Sri Ramakrishna Paramahamsa?

South Carolina, USA Favourite Place: My Childhood Looking Forward to Tomorrow

Thumbs up Re: Prophet pbuh's marriage to Hazrat Khadijah rta

Quote Originally Posted by vinod
    Are you talking about Sri Ramakrishna Paramahamsa?
    Yes, Sri Ramakrishna Paramahamsa, who lived from 1836 to 1886. He was born in Kamarpukur, West Bengal.

"Paramahamsa" means "Supreme Swan," a name for God.
    All which isn't singing is mere talking,
    and all talking's talking to oneself.
    —e e cummings

Thanks. Just satisfying my curiosity.

Regards

Veteran Member

Salam brother

My understanding is that Prophet Mohammad pbuh was 25 at the time of his marrige and Hazrat Khadijahwas 40 years old.

Nirvana, you may be confusing the marriage of the Prophet with Khadija with the controversy that surrounds his marriage with Ayesha.

Regards

Quote Originally Posted by Nirvana
    "Supreme Swan," a name for God.
    Could you explain the relationship between a swan and God?

Regards