Thread: The Story of Philosophy

Default The Story of Philosophy

Salams,
    The story of Philosophy by Will Durant is an engaging account of the great philosophers of the world.It chronicles the ideas of the great thinkers,the economic and intellectual environments which influenced them,and the personal traits and adventures out of which each philosophy grew.It has also been translated into Urdu.

In the jungles of Maryland being trained as a ninja by Christopher Walken

Salaam Aslam,

do you know, off hand, if this text deals with the Eastern philosophers or just the Western types?

~compassionately~

Salams,
    Just western!
    I have got another book"A history of Philosophy,western and Eastern"It seems to be highly erudite book but i have yet to muster my senses and time enough to read it.
    these days i,m reading "A history of Muslim philosphy"in 2 vols.It,s also available online(www.muslimphilosophy.com).I have yet to come across a more comprehensive book abou muslimphilosophy!

Default Re: The Story of Philosophy

I write blogs every now and then on my philosophies and whatnot.

Default Re: The Story of Philosophy

i have this book but always wonder why he left out the Muslim part - from the Greeks, it suddenly jumps to 1500s and thereabout..
    Nine things the Lord has commanded me: Fear of God in private and in public; Justness, whether in anger or in calmness; Moderation in both poverty and affluence; That I should join hands with those who break away from me; And give to those who deprive me; And forgive those who wrong me; And that my silence should be meditation; And my words remembrance of God; And my vision keen observation.- Prophet Muhammad (pbuh)