Thread: Islam

Default Islam

Assalamu Alaikum

I am studying Islam, and have been for a while yet.

My only problem, is I know there is a part of the Qur'an that speaks of "no compulsion". Yet I see so much to the contrary "There is only this or that way, all else are false". This seems to negate the no compulsion facet.

Secondly, if Islam claims to be the only way, what of all my very good friends who are very honorable and good people. Doing many selfless deeds in helping others. What happens to these people? I can not see a just and merciful God sending them to a punishment.

Though too, I am keeping an open mind, and hope to see others give their take on this.

Wassalam

Wassalam,

There is no compulsion in religion. This means that everyone is free to make their choice. What would be the point in testing us if we were not give a choice to choose? It is obvious that we are meant to choose freely. However, this does not mean that we will not pay the consequences if we make the wrong choice intentionally.

You stated:

"I can not see a just and merciful God sending them to a punishment."

My friend if you think that it would be unjust to punish them with Hell because they were really good people and did not reject Islam intentionally but only tried to follow the truth don't you think that the Most Merciful and Most Just will overlook their shortcomings and reward them? We are assured that God is Most Merciful and Just and thus we can be at ease in that matter. However, I would like to add that God knows best who made the most of what they were given and truly tried their best. Nowadays it's very hard to say which person is a kaafir. Every non-Muslim is not a kaafir, a Kafir is only a person that rejects the truth intentionally. Those that rejected the Messengers were indeed Kaafirs because they would have known that the Messenger was speaking the truth. This is because God would have made them (the Messengers) present the Message in such a way that no doubt could possibly have remained.

I hope this helps. Please come forward with any other problems you may be having, that way we will hopefully be able to learn from each other. I too like hearing other peoples views in such things.

Walaikum Sallam

Peace,

2:62 - Those who believe (in the Qur'an), and those who follow the Jewish (scriptures), and the Christians and the Sabians,- any who believe in Allah and the Last Day, and work righteousness, shall have their reward with their Lord; on them shall be no fear, nor shall they grieve

2:177 - Those who believe (in the Qur'an), and those who follow the Jewish (scriptures), and the Christians and the Sabians,- any who believe in Allah and the Last Day, and work righteousness, shall have their reward with their Lord; on them shall be no fear, nor shall they grieve

2:277 - Those who believe, and do deeds of righteousness, and establish regular prayers and regular charity, will have their reward with their Lord: on them shall be no fear, nor shall they grieve.

3:113-114 - Not all of them are alike: Of the People of the Book are a portion that stand (For the right): They rehearse the Signs of Allah all night long, and they prostrate themselves in adoration. They believe in Allah and the Last Day; they enjoin what is right, and forbid what is wrong; and they hasten (in emulation) in (all) good works: They are in the ranks of the righteous

3:199 - And there are, certainly, among the People of the Book, those who believe in Allah, in the revelation to you, and in the revelation to them, bowing in humility to Allah: They will not sell the Signs of Allah for a miserable gain! For them is a reward with their Lord, and Allah is swift in account.

4:136 - O ye who believe! Believe in Allah and His Messenger, and the scripture which He hath sent to His Messenger and the scripture which He sent to those before (him). Any who denieth Allah, His angels, His Books, His Messengers, and the Day of Judgment, hath gone far, far astray.

5:69 - Those who believe (in the Qur'an), those who follow the Jewish (scriptures), and the Sabians and the Christians,- any who believe in Allah and the Last Day, and work righteousness,- on them shall be no fear, nor shall they grieve.

the quran teaches us that mercy from god isn't limited to the label in which you have...it is limited to the contents of your intentions and what your heart accepts and believes in. good people are good people and their actions will be remembered on judgement...god never forgets.

peace.

Edited by - lucas on 04/07/2004 18:32:43

Wa Alaikum Assalaam Wa Rahnatullahi Wa Barakatu,

Ibc_,
    I think you are getting the concept of no compulsion in religion mixed up with the concept of Islam being true path of God. When the Qu'ran says there shall be no Compulsion in religion, it means that no one should be forced to accept Islam against their will, either by the state or by an individual. This does not negate the fact that Islam is the only true path of God. Islam is the true path, but it is up to each individual to either choose or deny this path. To be Muslim one must believe with his heart, it is more than just saying the shahada(testimony of faith) in public, for this means nothing if one does not truly beleive what he is saying. Furthermore, forcing people to accpet Islam is just not effective, for people are not likely to truly embrace Islam if it is associated with unwarranted violence and oppression. This was indeed not the way Islam was spread, for if it had been spread this way the the colonists' effort to convert Muslims to Christianity (by bribing people and offering more power and better jobs to Christians) would have been effective. But as they saw the Muslims' faith went deeper than that, and Alhamdulillah Islam is still strong!!!

Salaam,
    Sharaa

Salam,

I had a discussion with a friend not so long ago on this and I think it might be relevant to the topic so I'll paste what I wrote below:

---------------------------------------------------------------------

I believe that what Allah (S) wants us to do is search for the truth and when we find it submit to it wholeheartedly. One should remain open minded however. Remember that the reason why we are being tested as you stated is because of our mental capability. We have the ability to reason and therefore it is necessary for us to use it. It is only logical for God to ask this of us after bestowing us with it. The animals do not have this, neither do children (in its full developed form) nor those who are mental and therefore they are not being tested. Thus, the test is actually whether we will use our God given intellect in the way that God wants – to find the truth. If we on our honest and unbiased search for the truth happen to fault unintentionally then I do not think that God (the Just) will punish us for it. Allah (SWT) says regarding deeds:

<font color="#00FF00"> “And there is no sin for you in the mistakes that you make unintentionally, but what your hearts purpose (that will be a sin for you). Allah is Forgiving, Merciful.” </font>33:5

<font color="#00FF00"> “Allah will not call you to account for thoughtlessness in your oaths, but for the intention in your hearts; and He is oft-Forgiving, Most Forbearing.” </font>2:225

<font color="#00FF00"> “Allah does not impose upon any soul a duty but to the extent of its ability;”</font> 2:286

<font color="#00FF00"> “Allah puts no burden on any person beyond what He has given him.” </font> 65:7

<font color="#00FF00"> “No burden do We place on any soul, but that which it can bear” </font>6:152

Keeping the foregoing in mind, it is my believe that anyone who really searches for the truth with an unbiased mind and after finding it (regardless of whether or not it is correct) will enter Paradise. You see, the thing is not whether or not they followed the truth but rather whether or not they made use of what Allah (SWT) gave them to their utmost ability. Surely, Allah (SWT) will not ask more of us than what we are capable of. Indeed, the above quoted verses assure us that He will not. Having said that, it should be kept in mind that no matter what creed, if any, we belong to, if we reject the truth by showing lack of importance to it or by being arrogant towards it (rather than simply being mistaken), then we would certainly risk facing the punishment of Hell.

In regards to what you said about Allah (SWT) only accepting Islam, I think that you were referring to the following verse of the Holy Qur’an:

<font color="#00FF00"> “Do they prefer a religion other than the one ordained by God, while to Him submits all that is in the heavens and the earth -- whether willingly or unwillingly -- and to Him shall all be returned. Say: 'We believe in God and in that which has been revealed upon us and in that which was revealed upon Abraham, Ishmael, Isaac, Jacob and the groups, and in that which was given to Moses and Jesus and the prophets from their Lord. We do not differentiate between these prophets [believing in some and rejecting others] and we stand submitted to Him'. And whoever prefers any religion other than that of submission to God, it shall not be accepted from him and on the Day of Judgment, he shall be among the losers.” </font>3: 83-85

As can be seen from the verse, the word ‘Islam’ is here used in its literal sense. Meaning that anyone that submits to God by making use of what He is given without bias will be submitting to Him. It happens to be the case that the religion of Islam is indeed one of Submission to Him. The above means that the only religion acceptable to God is the one of submission to Him. The Qur’an also says:

<font color="#00FF00"> “Those who believe, and those who are Jews and Christians and Sabians; whoever [truly] believes in God and the hereafter and does what is right; on them shall be no fear, neither shall they grieve.”</font> Qur’an 2:62

Thus, those who believe in God and the Hereafter and do righteous deeds (all of which should be ingrained in us naturally) will enter Paradise. What religion they ascribe to is then irrelevant. Their religion is then that of submission to God. This verse was actually addressed to the Jews who believed that only the Israelis would enter Paradise. Thus God corrects this false notion by explaining that Paradise does not belong to any particular creed or denomination (whether Jewish, Christian, Muslim or whatever else) but rather; it is depended on the individuals effort. Of course it does remain that according to the Qur’an, the right creed is that of Islam, however, paradise is based on ones effort.

Assalam-U-Alaikum,

Edited by - Hischam Khan on 04/07/2004 19:06:44

I understand that a Jew, Bhuddist or a Christian can be muslim because they submit to God. But what is the creed of Islam? I have never heard of that? Is it the shahada?

What I meant by creed was not ‘statement of beliefs’ but rather faith. I was referring to the religion of Islam and its teachings etc.

Peace.

Default Re: Islam

Islam is a natural way of life that encourages one to give due attention to their relationship with God and His creation. Islam teaches that it is through the doing of good deeds and seeking the pleasure of God that souls find true happiness and peace. It is in this context that the word Islam derives from the root word “salam,” or peace.

Default Re: Islam

Asalamoalaikum,

For more details or Islamic Fatwa's, endowments and Islamic affairs please visit https://www.awqaf.gov.ae/en/Pages/default.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by lbc_ View Post
    Assalamu Alaikum

I am studying Islam, and have been for a while yet.

My only problem, is I know there is a part of the Qur'an that speaks of "no compulsion". Yet I see so much to the contrary "There is only this or that way, all else are false". This seems to negate the no compulsion facet.

Secondly, if Islam claims to be the only way, what of all my very good friends who are very honorable and good people. Doing many selfless deeds in helping others. What happens to these people? I can not see a just and merciful God sending them to a punishment.

Though too, I am keeping an open mind, and hope to see others give their take on this.

Wassalam