Thread: Difference between Sunni and Shia

Default Difference between Sunni and Shia

ASSALAAM O ALAIKUM friends !!

i just want to no that what is the difference between sunni and shia muslims - i'll be really thankful if someone provides a detailed information regarding this ..

salam...well i dont have detailed information but i do know sumthings..shia muslims belong to the ppl who killed imam hassan and imam hussain, sons of HAzrat Ali...so they think wat they did waz wrong...so they beat themselves in rememberance of what they did with Imam Hassan And Imam hussain...and sunni's dont beleive in this..make correction if i am wrong...
    regards

Seeker of Truth

Salaam all,

Shias do not accept the 3 Khalifas before Ali(ra) and argue that Ali(ra) should have been the first Khalifa or Imam as they call them.
    They believe that Ali(ra) was appointed by divine command and that the Holy Prophet(saaws) nominated him(ra) as his(saaws) immediate successor at Gaider Khum in front of thousands of people.
    They believe that the first 3 Khalifas were apostates and usurpers who forced Ali(ra) to accept them at swordpoint!
    This is the main difference among many others.

They believe that only the Prophet's(saaws) family can be Imams(Khalifas)of whom there are 12 till judgement day.
    They also believe that the Prophet(saaws),his family and descendents(ra)and all other prophets(as) are infallible,meaning they are perfect AND incapable of sin,mistake or error.
    They do not accept the sunni hadiths but have their own.The most well known are Usul al-Kafi and Najhul Balagha. I hope I have shedded some light on the topic for you.

"And say that the Truth has come and falsehood vanished,for falsehood is ever bound to vanish."
    Holy Qur'an.

Salam...

let me add to the differences.

Another fundamental difference is that the shia have accused most of the sahaba of being hypocrites because of not taking Ali (ra) as the first Khalifa. In addition, they look at sunna as supporting the killing of Hussain (ra) because we do not consider the same thing about the sahaba.

We as sunna believe that the sahaba were the best muslims because they are said to be so by the prophet... but as usual... when a sect wants to make itself credible it attacks thise that carried the message in order to make up its own stories or interpretations..

By the way, I have not even got to what they say about the prophet's wives. the reason is simply that I do not want this forum to become a ground for useless arguments with shia... and my advice is that these kinds of topics are banned here because I am sure it will distort the focus od the forum.

asalam

discussions lead to learning...i might learn something and maybe u will also!
    so lets find out the truth from the Quran, see omar thread..

malcolmx

Dear omiii,I sadly have to state that your biased views have no grounds to stand on.People like yourselves are the illiterate offsprings of mauwiah,abu sufyan and yazeed.Please go out and read factual information about the shia faith before you go making false accusations.We the shias believe in the prophet more than the so called sunni brothers and sisters.Imam Ali was at the prophets funeral. where was abu bakr,ummer and usman at that time.If they were as you so call them the prophets best sahaba why were they caught up in their own worldly affairs when the prophet passed on? Did they not even have enough time to read the prophets funeral.Not mentioning the famous trio were also famous for doing runners on the battlefield.Short on time gotta go,any more questions?

salam...well saqeb, i dont appreciate ur remarks abt my posts neither wat u said abt sahaba...i didnt like your degrading remarks abt sunni's....well if i was wrong abt shia's, ppl must have posted that i was wrong...they must have pointed out if i have said sum things abt shia's which r not true...and this is not my view...this is ppl's view and secondly, they r not biased...u being a shia must know better than sunni's wat u ppl really are...so i may bleive in wat u r sayin but those remarks abt sahabi r not apreciatable...May God Bless You!

High(est) time we stop arguing about this. The enemy is vying to make a bar b que of all of us irrrespective of our differences, major or minor.

Here is a lovely Article for all my Sunni Brothers and Sisters. Do read and try to find common grounds with them (shias) and the same holds good for Shia bros/sis:

http://www.islamicity.com/articles/A...ef=IC0402-2224

May Allah(swt) bring in the much neede wisdom in our actions and emotions.