Thread: Rules of Conduct

In the jungles of Maryland being trained as a ninja by Christopher Walken

Default Rules of Conduct

Salaam all,

in my tradition there are two sets of conduct, one for the laiety and one for the monks and nuns. that of the monks and nuns contains and surpasses that of the laiety which observe 5 precepts, monks and nuns on the other hand observe 227 precepts.

i'm curious, is there a division such as this within Islam with regards to laiety and "clergy"?

~compassionately~

namaste vajradhara

as usual, your questions so interesting and thought provoking.

so often i question how can we fit our conduct with religion.

in my humble opionion islam does not impose such restrictions.

Namaste sadlyyours,

thank you for the post.

i agree with you completely. in Buddhism, for instance, there is the original tradition called Theraveda (Teachings of the Elders) however they insist on a monastic code, making Buddhism very difficult for the average person. later, a school called Mahayana (The Great Vehicle) arose. it was called the Great Vehicle becuase it included rules for the laiety, i.e. the 5 precepts (no killing, no stealing, no bad speach [slander, lies and so forth], sexual misconduct and taking intoxicants) so that every person could practice and also included the established Vinya (Rules of Conduct for the Monastic Order).

even those 5 precepts can be hard to uphold.. at least in my case.

do i understand correctly, then, that in Islam the code of conduct for a beginning Muslim is the same of that of an Imam and vice versa?

~compassionately~

Assalam

do i understand correctly, then, that in Islam the code of conduct for a beginning Muslim is the same of that of an Imam and vice versa?

Yes, I think that's principally right. However as a general rule new or young Muslims should make little steps and continual progress towards a personality with higher morals and a perfect islamic conduct. Islam doesn't expect anything from a person which he is not capable of or yet not well trained in. Allah never makes a person accountable for his wrongs when he was forced by external factors or when he sinned in ignorance. But ignorance doesn't always protect you from punishment, because every Muslim is obliged to learn about his religion and acquire knowledge about different things.

May Peace be with you.

Salaam Azad,

thank you for the post.

it is very helpful

continuing with that theme... is there an equilivent to a "monk" and "nun" within Islam?

~compassionately~

Assalam Vajradhara (do you mind me asking for your real name?)

is there an equilivent to a "monk" and "nun" within Islam?

Actually there is not...
    I believe there is no concept of a monk, saints or similar in Islam.
    In some islamic cultures certain individuals are regarded as holy persons and are given great esteem and respect in their society. In my opinion this has no basis in Islam and unfortunately some people in those positions are using there power in a negative way.

May Peace be with you.

Namaste Azad,

thank you for the response...

so, there is no monastic order... i find that to be extremely interesting.

is it something that simply never developed or was it something that was purposefully not developed?

as for a "real" name..... what's wrong with Vajradhara? just kidding i've had several names thoughout my lifetime and i suppose it would depend on whom you ask.. however, those that know me well call me "clay".

~compassionately~