Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: Jews vs Muslims: Contributions to the Advancement of Mankind

  1. #1

    Default Jews vs Muslims: Contributions to the Advancement of Mankind

    The Global Islamic population is approximately 1,200,000,000, or approximately 20% of the world population.


    They have received the following Nobel Prizes:


    Peace:

    1978 - Mohamed Anwar El-Sadat
    1994 - Yaser Arafat


    Physics:

    1990 - Elias James Corey
    1999 - Ahmed Zewail


    Medicine:

    1960 - Peter Brian Medawar
    1998 - Ferid Mourad


    ___________________________________

    The Present Global Jewish population is approximately 14,000,000, or about

    0.02% of the world population.



    They have received the following Nobel Prizes:



    Literature:

    1910 - Paul Heyse
    1927 - Henri Bergson
    1958 - Boris Pasternak
    1966 - Shmuel Yosef Agnon
    1966 - Nelly Sachs
    1976 - Saul Bellow
    1978 - Isaac Bashevis Singer
    1981 - Elias Canetti
    1987 - Joseph Brodsky
    1991 - Nadine Gordimer World


    Peace:

    1911 - Alfred Fried
    1911 - Tobias Michael Carel Asser
    1968 - Rene Cassin
    1973 - Henry Kissinger
    1978 - Menachem Begin
    1986 - Elie Wiesel
    1994 - Shimon Peres
    1994 - Yitzhak Rabin


    Physics:

    1905 - Adolph Von Baeyer
    1906 - Henri Moissan
    1907 - Albert Abraham Michelson
    1908 - Gabriel Lippmann
    1910 - Otto Wallach
    1915 - Richard Willstaetter
    1918 - Fritz Haber
    1921 - Albert Einstein
    1922 - Niels Bohr
    1925 - James Franck
    1925 - Gustav Hertz
    1943 - Gustav Stern
    1943 - George Charles de Heve! sy 1944 - Isidor Issac Rabi
    1952 - Felix Bloch
    1954 - Max Born
    1958 - Igor Tamm
    1959 - Emilio Segre
    1960 - Donald A. Glaser
    1961 - Robert Hofstadter
    1961 - Melvin Calvin
    1962 - Lev Davidovich Landau
    1962 - Max Ferdinand Perutz
    1965 - Richard Phillips Feynman
    1965 - Julian Schwinger
    1969 - Murray Gell-Mann
    1971 - Dennis Gabor
    1972 - William Howard Stein
    1973 - Brian David Josephson
    1975 - Benjamin Mottleson
    1976 - Burton Richter
    1977 - Ilya Prigogine
    1978 - Arno Allan Penzias
    1978 - Peter L Kapitza
    1979 - Stephen Weinberg
    1979 - Sheldon Glashow
    1979 - Herbert Charles Brown
    1980 - Paul Berg
    1980 - Walter Gilbert
    1981 - Roald Hoffmann
    1982 - Aaron Klug
    1985 - Albert A. Hauptman
    1985 - Jerome Karle
    1986 - Dudley R. Herschbach
    1988 - Robert Huber
    1988 - Leon Lederman
    1988 - Melvin Schwartz
    1988 - Jack Steinberger
    1989 - Sidney Altman
    1990 - Jerome Friedman
    1992 - Rudolph Marcus
    1995 - Martin Perl
    2000 - Alan J. Heeger


    Economics:

    1970 - Paul Anthony Samuelson
    1971 - Simon Kuznets
    1972 - Kenneth Joseph Arrow
    1975 - Leonid Kantorovich
    1976 - Milton Friedman
    1978 - Herbert A. Simon
    1980 - Lawrence Robert Klein
    1985 - Franco Modigliani
    1987 - Robert M. Solow
    1990 - Harry Markowitz
    1990 - Merton Miller
    1992 - Gary Becker
    1993 - Robert Fogel


    Medicine:

    1908 - Elie Metchnikoff
    1908 - Paul Erlich
    1914 - Robert! Baran y
    1922 - Otto Meyerhof
    1930 - Karl Landsteiner
    1931 - Otto Warburg
    1936 - Otto Loewi
    1944 - Joseph Erlanger
    1944 - Herbert Spencer Gasser
    1945 - Ernst Boris Chain
    1946 - Hermann Joseph Muller
    1950 - Tadeus Reichstein
    1952 - Selman Abraham Waksman
    1953 - Hans Krebs
    1953 - Fritz Albert Lipmann
    1958 - Joshua Lederberg
    1959 - Arthur Kornberg
    1964 - Konrad Bloch
    1965 - Francois Jacob
    1965 - Andre Lwoff
    1967 - George Wald
    1968 - Marshall W. Nirenberg
    1969 - Salvador Luria
    1970 - Julius Axelrod
    1970 - Sir Bernard Katz
    1972 - Gerald Maurice Edelman
    1975 - Howard Martin Temin
    1976 - Baruch S. Blumberg
    1977 - Roselyn Sussman Yalow
    1978 - Daniel Nathans
    1980 - Baruj Benacerraf
    1984 - Cesar Milstein
    1985 - Michael Stuart Brown
    1985 - Joseph L. Goldstein
    1986 - Stanley Cohen [& Rita Levi-Montalcini]
    1988 - Gertrude Elion
    1989 - Harold Varmus
    1991 - Erwin Neher
    1991 - Bert Sakmann
    1993 - Richard J. Roberts
    1993 - Phillip Sharp
    1994 - Alfred Gilman
    1995 - Edward B. Lewis
    Last edited by Ratatosk; 30th August 2006 at 09:10. Reason: thread clarity.

  2. #2
    Administrator
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    4,835

    Default Re: Jews vs Muslims: Contributions to the Advancement of Mankind


  3. #3

    Default Re: Jews vs Muslims: Contributions to the Advancement of Mankind

    eh world started from 1900?



  4. #4

    Default Re: Jews vs Muslims: Contributions to the Advancement of Mankind

    It is interesting that Alfred Nobel made most of his vast fortune in the invention and production of explosives and weaponry. His nitroglycerin factories were unsafe and many of his workers were injured and killed in accidental explosions, or fell ill of heart disease related to inhalation of vapors. In 1888 a French newspaper mistakenly ran an obituary of Nobel with the headline "The Merchant of Death is Dead." It may be safe to assume that he instituted the Peace Prize as a way of disassociating his family name with such carnage.
    **********************************
    Knowledge shrinks as wisdom grows.
    ~ Alfred North Whitehead

  5. #5
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    1,282

    Default Re: Jews vs Muslims: Contributions to the Advancement of Mankind

    I wonder where he'd put Islamic Jews?
    The image-obsessed, bloodthirsty, sensationalistic world outside your window is the real madhouse.

    www.islamic-relief.com

  6. #6
    Veteran Member junaid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    1,154

    Default Re: Jews vs Muslims: Contributions to the Advancement of Mankind

    Quote Originally Posted by lenstern View Post
    They have received the following Nobel Prizes:

    Physics:

    1990 - Elias James Corey

    1999 - Ahmed Zewail

    1979 - Prof. Abdus Salam from Pakistan. To the chagrin of many, I count Ahmadis as Muslims
    There is only one God and He is God to all; therefore it is important that everyone is seen as equal before God. I’ve always said we should help a Hindu become a better Hindu, a Muslim become a better Muslim, a Catholic become a better Catholic ~ Blessed Mother Teresa

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    170

    Default Re: Jews vs Muslims: Contributions to the Advancement of Mankind

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Islamic_Golden_Age

    I'm afraid the world didn't start in 1900. Outside of possibly only the ancient Greeks and Romans, the Muslims have contributed more to math and science than any other group. The reason not many Muslims have won Nobel Prizes is because much of the Muslim world is poor due to how it has been mistreated by the West which includes Jews. Also, the Jews hadn't made many significant scientific or mathematical advances until the modern age. You know why? Because they were poor and mistreated.

    Trolls am cry. ;_;

  8. #8
    Administrator
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    4,835

    Default Re: Jews vs Muslims: Contributions to the Advancement of Mankind

    The reason not many Muslims have won Nobel Prizes is because much of the Muslim world is poor due to how it has been mistreated by the West which includes Jews.
    Surely we own some of the blame, no?

  9. #9
    Guest
    Guest

    Default Re: Jews vs Muslims: Contributions to the Advancement of Mankind

    This thread is the biggest load of nonsense Ive seen in a looooooooooong time.

  10. #10
    Administrator Ratatosk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 1984
    Posts
    4,808

    Default Re: Jews vs Muslims: Contributions to the Advancement of Mankind

    Salam,

    An interesting slant to the issue of the so called Golden Era of the islamic world is the notion of unevitability. To put it simply; certain things just "clicked" in the islamic world in the mentioned golden era. A scholarly climate, social stability and relative peace made the creation of the stupendous wealth of knowledge possible. In another way, this inevitable development happened in spite of Islam, not because of it. By extension, the present shift of balance is thus inevitable, as well.

    As I see it; everything shifts and moves and is in constant motion. Yesterday the kings and queens of the world were somewhere else than they are today, tomorrow they will somewhere else again. In perpetual turmoil she is, the world. Further, isn't it really a question of what one uses as meter to determine who are the "most successful"? According to which standard? By what meter? Says who?

    Regards,
    think

  11. #11
    Administrator Ratatosk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 1984
    Posts
    4,808

    Default Re: Jews vs Muslims: Contributions to the Advancement of Mankind

    Quote Originally Posted by Haroon View Post
    This thread is the biggest load of nonsense Ive seen in a looooooooooong time.
    I know, but humor us, no?
    think

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    170

    Default Re: Jews vs Muslims: Contributions to the Advancement of Mankind

    Quote Originally Posted by Ratatosk View Post
    Salam,

    An interesting slant to the issue of the so called Golden Era of the islamic world is the notion of unevitability. To put it simply; certain things just "clicked" in the islamic world in the mentioned golden era. A scholarly climate, social stability and relative peace made the creation of the stupendous wealth of knowledge possible. In another way, this inevitable development happened in spite of Islam, not because of it. By extension, the present shift of balance is thus inevitable, as well.

    As I see it; everything shifts and moves and is in constant motion. Yesterday the kings and queens of the world were somewhere else than they are today, tomorrow they will somewhere else again. In perpetual turmoil she is, the world. Further, isn't it really a question of what one uses as meter to determine who are the "most successful"? According to which standard? By what meter? Says who?

    Regards,
    You're part right and part wrong. You're part wrong in that Islam preaches the search of knowledge more than any other religion. Remember, the Byzantine Empire was quite powerful for a long period of time and yet their accomplishments don't nearly stack up to the accomplishments of the Muslims. You're part right in that it runs in cycles. I pretty much implied that in my post when I said there was a time when Muslims ruled the scientific world and Jews were insignificant but now the Jews are on top of the scientific world and Muslims are insignificant. Basically, 100 years =/= all of history. You could apply the same logic to say that China has a history of being poor.

  13. #13
    Administrator Ratatosk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 1984
    Posts
    4,808

    Default Re: Jews vs Muslims: Contributions to the Advancement of Mankind

    Salam Mikal,
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikal View Post
    You're part wrong in that Islam preaches the search of knowledge more than any other religion.
    Perhaps I just failed to mention it. Islam does emphasize the rationale of one's beliefs. You're right, Islam is clearly of the more 'cerebral' variety amongst the world religions. Perhaps I should've expressed myself more clearly. I did mention the scholarly climate, didn't I?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikal View Post
    the Byzantine Empire was quite powerful for a long period of time and yet their accomplishments don't nearly stack up to the accomplishments of the Muslims.
    Indeed, the perfect mix of all ingredients didn't happen within the Byzantine Empire. To look for the previous empire that rivalled the intellectual splendour of the universities of Baghdad or Spain one has to go all the way back to the ancient greeks.

    Regards,
    think

  14. #14
    Guest
    Guest

    Default Re: Jews vs Muslims: Contributions to the Advancement of Mankind

    Salaam Ratatosk

    In another way, this inevitable development happened in spite of Islam, not because of it
    I disagree my friend (humbly I hope). The warring tribes of Arabia, the social decadence, the wars between Byzantine and Persia... Islam was the solution. It sorted out the problem, it didnt take advantage of anything. The situation was always in the Muslims disfavour.

    I dont know where you got that idea.

    A scholarly climate, social stability and relative peace
    All of this was AFTER the coming of Islam, not before by any means.

    Regards

  15. #15

    Default Re: Jews vs Muslims: Contributions to the Advancement of Mankind

    Quote Originally Posted by Ratatosk View Post
    Salam,

    An interesting slant to the issue of the so called Golden Era of the islamic world is the notion of unevitability. To put it simply; certain things just "clicked" in the islamic world in the mentioned golden era. A scholarly climate, social stability and relative peace made the creation of the stupendous wealth of knowledge possible. In another way, this inevitable development happened in spite of Islam, not because of it. By extension, the present shift of balance is thus inevitable, as well.

    As I see it; everything shifts and moves and is in constant motion. Yesterday the kings and queens of the world were somewhere else than they are today, tomorrow they will somewhere else again. In perpetual turmoil she is, the world. Further, isn't it really a question of what one uses as meter to determine who are the "most successful"? According to which standard? By what meter? Says who?

    Regards,
    Shift of power would have happened, but I doubt it, 'the perfect mix of all ingredients' had taken place even up to our time. This is something I released after watching this documentary: http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...07897325&hl=en (Orginally posted by Lumumba)



Similar Threads

  1. Jews or Christians
    By hawk in forum Interfaith Dialogue
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 20th February 2005, 16:08
  2. Muslim Women Throughout History
    By Ansar Al-Haq in forum Islamic Discussions
    Replies: 39
    Last Post: 20th February 2005, 00:16
  3. The Jewish-Muslim Connection: Traditional Ways of Life
    By newsX in forum Islamic Discussions
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 27th January 2005, 08:47
  4. Prophet muhammad saws killed innocent jews?
    By Ansar Al-Haq in forum Islamic Discussions
    Replies: 53
    Last Post: 13th January 2005, 13:35
  5. Uncomfortable questions
    By erizito in forum General Conversations
    Replies: 60
    Last Post: 21st December 2004, 11:23

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •