Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 93

Thread: God is Love?? please help

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    South Carolina, USA
    Posts
    64

    Default God is Love?? please help

    Salam all,

    I am learning a lot from reading all of the threads...and more confused at times too, but i trust Allah to show me Truth so I continue to try and learn.

    However, I am having a problem that maybe someone can help me with, as perhaps it is one of my own fault.

    I have accepted Islam because i believe it. I was told "islam is easy", but i don't really think so. I do wish born muslims would stop saying that though, because the complexity of conversion is not easy. you have to start rethinking everything you do...from personal hygiene, eating, who you talk to, where you can work, as the quran gives us guidance for every detail, every detail of life takes on a "right or wrong, haram or halaal" question. for a sincere person trying simply to be a good muslim and do the right thing, it is overwhelming.

    my sweet husband tells me to go slower and that i can't learn everything in one night, one hour, but he too is a born muslim and as loving and patient as he is he still says "islam is easy".

    and though islam is a simple and beautiful concept, conversion isn't.

    i love it though and as i am sometimes bewildered, i cling to it. Every time i say the shahada in prayer, i am soooooooo comforted because i know that is hte core and i believe it. There is only one God and Muhammed was his Messenger. alhamdulillah.

    But, it seems like most of the debate, discussion and topics and emphasis is on haram or halaal. I know the Quran says Allah is oft forgiving and the Most Merciful, but i find I miss the Comfort of God.

    Before converting my soul would seek God as a place of solace and rest, but with all the focus on being careful not to displease God, i have lost that image. I really think it's my fault that i am focusing too much on one part....because i know that islam is truth and that some might use this tendency to focus so much on law to persuade others that it's not. I know God is love in Islam too, but could you brothers and sisters please give me your support and guide me to some helpful ways to balance myself?

    i hope i've made sense and do not in any way make it seem negative towards my beloved religion...

    blessings and peace
    hanaa

  2. #2
    Ponderer ovr msgs v Quran
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    21

    Default Re: God is Love?? please help

    hanaa, sorry my reply is not going to be as long as i want it to be (im busy), but to put it simple, I know exactly how you feel. The solution is not aviod doing haram because you're ordered not to indulge in haram acts, but to keep away from haraam because you know you'd be disobeying God, (and so your relationship with God will be affected). And then you know Allah will be angry with you. So do it out of the LOVE of Allah. Its just like not upsetting your best friend. You do it out of the 'love' for her or him, and not just because you know its something she doesnt like. And the same applies to the halal.
    God be with you.
    Allaah (Alone) is Sufficient for us, and He is the Best Disposer of Affairs [Aal ‘Imraan 3:171]

    And walk not on the earth with conceit and arrogance [al-Isra’ 17:37]


    And be moderate (show no arrogance) in your walking, and lower your voice [Luqmaan 31:19]

  3. #3

    Default Re: God is Love?? please help

    Salaam Hanaa,

    I think the problem is, you are quite bewildered while reading the threads by our seemingly prejudiced thoughts. I know you are quite keen to know every single detail of Islam, its natural though. However, your hubby is right in saying go easy and slow. To understand this, lets assume that you pick and understand something from one thread or any source and you start believing it. But after few days/months, you happen to read some more comments regarding that particular matter and it makes you think. Assuredly you will get perplexed as to what is actually right or wrong or you may think are you going correct or even trembling by information loaded.

    Whenver you happen to feel like that, ask questions, as many as you can. Ask basic ideological questions that is the root of things. For example, I'm under impression that you are confused as to what is Haram or Halal for the matter. Technical defination is, Something explicitly approved by God is Halal and something explicitly disapproved by God is Haram. Even a prophet can not term anything haram and halal by himself without the approval of God. Now you can find a list of Halal and Haram if you read the Qur'an. After knowing this basic knowledge, you would say yes Islam is easy. As God himself said that "There is no compulsion in religion". Ain't it ?

    Pardon me if I mistakenly misundertood your query.

    Regards,
    Google is my survival.

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    South Carolina, USA
    Posts
    64

    Default Re: God is Love?? please help

    SALAM AND Thank you Mutadabirah,

    Yes, that is what i try to do...for my incentive...to please allah because i love Him, i know He knows best and try out of love...but with all the talk and focus of details--it's like almost everything is wrong--i've lost sight of how to feel allah's love towards me, not mine towards Him. i just find myself always afraid of displeasing him.

    i used to not like the idea of "fear of God" because i felt it was SOOOOOOO important to obey out of love...but i've learned lately what fear of God means...and i think in the right way...but that maybe i've gone overboard and am too afraid.

    i mean when something that was once so simple as wishing someone a happy birthday gets debated about whether its right or wrong one becomes almost paranoid that there is little room to please god. i've become extremely (overly) self-conscious and analytical of my own actions. things that were normal are now wrong. i'm a southerner, we smile at everyone so a casual hello to my neighbor or stopping to talk about the weahter becomes analyzed.
    what is idle talk? boy i bet i do it...i talk too much. i read somewhere there was a list of more than 70 major sins.....i feel like i'll have OCD if i don't find some balance!!!

    i think i need to separate opinoin from religion, but in the meantime i really just want to feel God's love rather than fear of being wrong--i mean not to stop trying to please God, i just want to feel the comfort and peace and rest i used to....i know the exaggeration is on me but my muslim community is small and i rarely see any other muslims (my husband is away for a while)...i think i'm distorting what i'm learning.

    sorry to ramble or whatever, just a little tired

    thank you so much for you response and understanding

    peace
    Last edited by hanaa-e; 29th July 2005 at 11:52.

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    391

    Default Re: God is Love?? please help

    Quote Originally Posted by hanaa-e
    i mean when something that was once so simple as wishing someone a happy birthday gets debated about whether its right or wrong one becomes almost paranoid that there is little room to please god.
    i've become extremely (overly) self-conscious and analytical of my own actions. things that were normal are now wrong. i'm a southerner, we smile at everyone so a casual hello to my neighbor or stopping to talk about the weahter becomes analyzed.
    what is idle talk? boy i bet i do it...i talk too much. i read somewhere there was a list of more than 70 major sins.....i feel like i'll have OCD if i don't find some balance!!!



    peace
    Salam,

    Yes, it's not a case of haram=bad halaal=good, it's the Music is haram/halaal.
    Good to this group if...., Bad to this group always, Of no particular concern to this group
    and the evidence used just seems to be counter intuitive.

    I don't have a memorize sort of mind, couldn't do periodic table, verb endings, latin tenses etc etc.
    My best hope is to find the consistant patern in Gods instruction and the Prophets(p) transmission, I hope and believe it is there.
    There are obvious patterns about scapegoating, the inhumanity of Christain majority governments, the suicide bombers, tyrants of any religion, etc.

    Idle talk is a good point, are all 560 of us here damned for it, or is this better than idle talk.?
    I used to like the better meaning of God fearing, the one where fearing is the same origin as Sea Fearing, that is going by sea, rather than being afraid.


    Peace

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    South Carolina, USA
    Posts
    64

    Default Re: God is Love?? please help

    Quote Originally Posted by Roswell
    Salaam Hanaa,

    I think the problem is, you are quite bewildered while reading the threads by our seemingly prejudiced thoughts. I know you are quite keen to know every single detail of Islam, its natural though. However, your hubby is right in saying go easy and slow. To understand this, lets assume that you pick and understand something from one thread or any source and you start believing it. But after few days/months, you happen to read some more comments regarding that particular matter and it makes you think. Assuredly you will get perplexed as to what is actually right or wrong or you may think are you going correct or even trembling by information loaded.

    Whenver you happen to feel like that, ask questions, as many as you can. Ask basic ideological questions that is the root of things. For example, I'm under impression that you are confused as to what is Haram or Halal for the matter. Technical defination is, Something explicitly approved by God is Halal and something explicitly disapproved by God is Haram. Even a prophet can not term anything haram and halal by himself without the approval of God. Now you can find a list of Halal and Haram if you read the Qur'an. After knowing this basic knowledge, you would say yes Islam is easy. As God himself said that "There is no compulsion in religion". Ain't it ?

    Pardon me if I mistakenly misundertood your query.

    Regards,
    thank you roswell,

    i guess i'm going too fast, but i just want to be a good muslim and find the balance.

    i think i understood the definition of haram and halal but got confused as to what actions fall under those catagories. and, yes, i htink other's opinions cause confusion...

    for example, one woman told me music wiht certain instruments is all-out wong...and i've read that whole strign (that was how i found the site to research that) because it just didn't make sense to me. If intentions are what matters, that there are natural intersests, desires, impulses as humans, and god sets boundaries to satisfy those things, how can you say that an inanimate object retains evil or good? to me it seems superstitious.

    so i was told my husband had to wear a beard and to be honest i don't want him to, but then i thought 'oh my, am i a bad muslim wife because i don't want him to wear a beard???).

    things like that. i know i shoudl get all of my info from the quran and then work from tehre to other reliable sources but i am in fear of displeasing God and not knowing it...i know i am forgiven but my whole aim is not about reward or punishment...but i love Allah and am so happy to finally find what i believe is His will for us and me and don't wnat to waste anohter day in ignorance.

    alas, i know my desire is impossible, so i am trying to balance it.

    thanks for helping

    blessings, have a great friday
    hanaa

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    South Carolina, USA
    Posts
    64

    Default Re: God is Love?? please help

    Quote Originally Posted by K-one
    Salam,

    Yes, it's not a case of haram=bad halaal=good, it's the Music is haram/halaal.
    Good to this group if...., Bad to this group always, Of no particular concern to this group
    and the evidence used just seems to be counter intuitive.

    I don't have a memorize sort of mind, couldn't do periodic table, verb endings, latin tenses etc etc.
    My best hope is to find the consistant patern in Gods instruction and the Prophets(p) transmission, I hope and believe it is there.
    There are obvious patterns about scapegoating, the inhumanity of Christain majority governments, the suicide bombers, tyrants of any religion, etc.

    Idle talk is a good point, are all 560 of us here damned for it, or is this better than idle talk.?
    I used to like the better meaning of God fearing, the one where fearing is the same origin as Sea Fearing, that is going by sea, rather than being afraid.


    Peace
    salam, k-one and all, thank you so much for helping me...i feel like part of the family now

    your idea of finding the pattern seems good.

    i was talking wiht my husband and for me, tell me if i'm wrong, its like this. we are born with desires and interests, love of art, beauty, music, physical and sensory pleasures/displeasures....it seems with everything there are limits and boundaries. our creator has outlined for us the best and proper ways to enjoy our humanity....what is acceptable is good for us and what is not is bad. not always will we understand why but that is where obedience for our own good comes in...

    i believe that part of our test, as islam teaches that life is a test, is that we fiigure out how to enjoy our humanity within those boundaries...so to say, just avoidign something altogehter isn't what its about, i theorize. take the natural physical needs of man and woman....the catholics made it wrogn for a priest to marry and now look what has happened...but what is natural and good but ONLY within limits....

    i think its the same with art and music and things like that.

    doesn't that make more sense than all music with flutes and pianos and guitars is evil///?/ what did a string ever do to anyone?

    ughhhhh

    wow. thanks for all the feedback

    more if anyone wants

    alone wiht my thoughts isn't good

    peace and thanks
    hanaa

  8. #8
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Lahore, Pakistan
    Posts
    28

    Default Re: God is Love?? please help

    Hi Hannaa
    first of all many many congrats on ur reversion and im so so glad that ur trying hard to realy live Islam.
    But but but!!! in my humble opinion, living Islam fully does not revolve around Halaal and Haraam..its much more than that.its having a relationship with Allah such that u can feel His presence with every breath and this feeling only should be enough to begin with..Beards and Hijabs come later in the picture, once u have established that special bond. Most ppl may not agree with my opinion but i honestly believe that the first step is to be close to Allah...He should be your bestest friend. The rest will come naturally to u i promise.
    Good luck
    Bushra

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    284

    Default Re: God is Love?? please help

    selam to all
    I love to read these type of thread , I would love to convert , I am a new muslim ....BUT

    Quote Originally Posted by hanaa-e
    Salam all,

    I am learning a lot from reading all of the threads...However, I am having a problem
    there are at least 20 threads like this on our so called understanding islam forum
    I want to convert ..... but Islam is so violent
    I want to be muyslims but muslims hate non muslims

    Quote Originally Posted by hanaa-e
    I have accepted Islam because i believe it. I was told "islam is easy", but i don't really think so.
    Honestly dear Hanaa , If I were you I would think twice before I make this very hard decision
    If I were you I would maybe keep my own religion

    now these are "forum stories" lets talk about real life stories
    if Islam is so hard and so violent, how would Hanaa explain these facts:

    1.in 1920s in the USA there was only one mosque today there are at least 5000
    in Canada in 20s there was non now there are at least 4000 mosque

    2.in 60s in the USA there was a collective convert to Islam , you`ve maybe heard of "the nation of Islam" movement ?

    how these people did not find Islam so bad ?
    you`ve probably heard of Malcom x , a civile rigght leader in USA , when he visited Mekka and saw all nations , people of all color , white black yellow red all worshipping same God same way , he was amazed
    now if Islam so hard how do exaplain these large number of Christian men and women who converted to Islam in late 80s and 90s (next time I will give some famous names to refresh your memory)

    let me tell you my experience?
    I live in OHio state , in my life I have witnessed 5 converts , and each time the same way
    on friday pray (Jumma`a) , after pray Imam annonce that a new convert is in our mosque and he want to declare his shahada , and after takbir and welcoming , this convert is so thirsty for Islam and knowledge , he or she wants to know everything , to do everything , and our Imam say (always) , for now you don`t have to do anything , just learn
    nobody told these new converts: you have to pray 120 times, you cannot eat pork , sihish Kabab , no make ups , no this no that
    Islam is easy and simple
    everyone who declare his shahada (convert) is a muslim , no matter what he does
    and believe me I know a woman who converted to Islam few years ago, this woman today teachs me Islam, sometimes I feel so ashamed when I see her faith and my faith
    so these are some real life stories
    YES my dear Islam is easy and simple, Islam is logic and any convert is so amased witnessing the love of Allah in Islam
    peace may be upon you
    :guilty:

  10. #10

    Default Re: God is Love?? please help

    Assallaam o alaikum

    First of all I want to request all my friends if you think over that don’t use the word God for Almighty Allah because this word has “plural” as well as “feminine”, so it is not the right and good word for Allah.

    Hanaa, you want to know Allah loves you or not, your conversion from other religion to Islam is not the evidence that Allah love you? Indeed yes because He give you an opportunity to go through the truth. He loves every one who wants to spend one’s life according to what He revealed.

    You want to know how you could please Allah, simple thing is obey Him. He has told every thing in Quran that how we could please Him, do what He want to do and stop what for He stopped you. Quran is very simple to understand if you fulfill a condition

    “This is the book, no doubt in it, but the Guidance for those who keep themselves away from bad deeds and want to go on the right path with inner heart” (Al Quran, 2/2)

    Read Quran, it will tell you how you could please Almighty Allah. You could not know every thing in one day or in one month, so don’t worries about any thing “slow and steady win the race”. Allah will open the ways for you if you proved yourself able to.

    Congratulation to be a muslim but one thing should always be in front of you that becoming a muslim is not enough, successful is who manage his life according to laws created by Allah.

    Allah hafiz

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    391

    Default Re: God is Love?? please help

    Quote Originally Posted by khalid zaheer
    Assallaam o alaikum

    First of all I want to request all my friends if you think over that don’t use the word God for Almighty Allah because this word has “plural” as well as “feminine”, so it is not the right and good word for Allah.


    Allah hafiz
    Hi,
    the Al Haramain Islamic Foundation hands out a nice booklet on Islam, it claims that God can not be limited in his/her names and attributes, that Allah is only used as it is the translation (and vice versa) of God. That all Semite/English languages have the ability to be plural (add an s on the end for english) and pro-nouns have gender.
    i.e. a sentence taking about Allah would need to say he or she to refer back to the Allah previously mentioned, and that a feminine IS just as correct for Allah in this case.

    Peace

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    223

    Default Re: God is Love?? please help

    sister,
    as salamalykum
    May Allah makeit easy for you and give you peace in your heart ...
    I have accepted Islam because i believe it. I was told "islam is easy", but i don't really think so. I do wish born muslims would stop saying that though, because the complexity of conversion is not easy.
    I can see your eagerness to understand and Allah will reward you for that but donot be hard on yourself those who convert sometimes have to deal with tough issues in life , some have to face anger of parents , pressure of the culture u live in , broken friendships but this should make you even more stonger in your commitment towards god.. what you are feeling you are not the only one ...
    what you are going through can be just adjustment period


    may ALLAH give you strength
    take care

  13. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    223

    Default Re: God is Love?? please help

    Hanaa,

    salam

    you said "our creator has outlined for us the best and proper ways to enjoy our humanity....what is acceptable is good for us and what is not is bad. not always will we understand why but that is where obedience for our own good comes in

    May be it is easy to undersatand that when we buy a machine from store it comes with the instruction sheet (do and donot) if we dothis machine will run smoothly if we mis use it and not follow direction carefully it can ruin the machine ......
    As for us humans Allah has given us instruction sheet in form of quran DO & DON'T since he is our creator he knows best what can bring peace and happiness in our life and what things should we avoid or it will cause damage to our soul and life (we see that in language of quran as haram and halal )



    i think its the same with art and music and things like that.

    doesn't that make more sense than all music with flutes and pianos and guitars is evil///?/ what did a string ever do to anyone?
    coming to another subject of music & art when ever you discuss this topic with islamic group it cause great division ..(due to thediffernceinunderstanding)if i discuss that here i find my self standing on the other side ...very few join me on this suject and in my views .

    My understanding is Allah loves beauty .Art ,music, beautiful voice is talent given to us from god and a blessing ( to be greatful for)..It was given to david (pbuh)and he use to sing songs and write poems .. i questioned once if it was so wrong WHY did Allah give this talent to us in first place ........?

    After doing research few years back and analyzing the verses in quran where Allah talks about talents given to past generation . i reach to.this conclusion
    music it self is not evil ..it is very powerful tool .. RESPONSIBILITY lies on us how we use this god given talents ?
    music can be used to mislead new generation & install in them wrong values ,it has power that if used wrongly can corrupt your soul .
    some singers use swear words & cursing in their songs .....gives wrong message to furure generation ,as if it isok tosay suchthings on daily basis ........

    if we use music to convey god message to future generation and bring them closer to god or like David (pbuh) use it for the praises of GOD ..there are many mulim artist who use music to inspire love of god
    Muslims once were wonderful in artistic work ....be greatful to the talents god has given us and use it wisely for the benifit of mankind....
    Islam makes us responsible in our actions and thoughts .Mayallah use us to spread the message of goodness & truth to all either through songs, music, art , computer or any modern tool. what we should becareful about is keeping good intentions that Allah is aware of ...always


    DONOT want to confuse you , i can even give you reference of it , you can buy vidio from islamic site from muslims artist s

  14. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    447

    Default Re: God is Love?? please help

    Salaam Hanaa,

    I dont have much to say because most of it is already said but i would say one thing which is to read the qur'an because it affects the heart and draws you closer to Allah azzawajjal.

    regards

  15. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    607

    Default Re: God is Love?? please help

    May Peace and Truth be with us always !!


    I am not muslim, but would offer these thoughts to you...

    Fearing the Lord is the beginning of wisdom, but loving the Lord is the end of that particualr wisdom to my understanding.

    1 John 4:18
    There is no fear in love. But perfect love drives out fear, because fear has to do with punishment. The one who fears is not made perfect in love.

    I hope this helps you somehow.

    May the Glory of God fill your heart and mind forever !

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •