Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Al Azhar's Fatwa regarding Shias

Banned

Default Al Azhar's Fatwa regarding Shias

I got this fatwa from a forum, it is regarding shias, i am surprised that its not getting coverage.

Fatwa (ruling) of Shaikh Mahmood Shaltoot
    Head Office of al-Azhar University:
    IN THE NAME OF ALLAH, THE BENEFICENT, THE MERCIFUL Text of the Verdict (Fatwa) Issued by His Excellency Shaikh al-Akbar Mahmood Shaltoot, Head of the al-Azhar University, on Permissibility of Following "al-Shia al-Imamiyyah" School of Thought
    His Excellency was asked:
    Some believe that, for a Muslim to have religiously correct worship and dealing, it is necessary to follow one of the four known schools of thought, whereas, "al-Shia al-Imamiyyah" school of thought is not one of them nor "al-Shia al-Zaidiyyah." Does your Excellency agree with this opinion, and prohibit following "al-Shia al-Imamiyyah al-Ithna Ashariyyah" school of thought, for example?
    His Excellency replied:
    1) Islam does not require a Muslim to follow a particular Madh'hab (school of thought). Rather, we say: every Muslim has the right to follow one of the schools of thought which has been correctly narrated and its verdicts have been compiled in its books. And, everyone who is following such Madhahib [schools of thought] can transfer to another school, and there shall be no crime on him for doing so.
    2) The Ja'fari school of thought, which is also known as "al-Shia al- Imamiyyah al-Ithna Ashariyyah" (i.e., The Twelver Imami Shi'ites) is a school of thought that is religiously correct to follow in worship as are other Sunni schools of thought. Muslims must know this, and ought to refrain from unjust prejudice to any particular school of thought, since the religion Allah and His Divine Law (Shari'ah) was never restricted to a particular school of thought. Their jurists (Mujtahidoon) are accepted by Almighty Allah, and it is permissible to the "non-Mujtahid" to follow them and to accord with their teaching whether in worship (Ibadaat) or transactions (Mu'amilaat).
    Signed, Mahmood Shaltoot.
    The above Fatwa was announced on July 6, 1959 from the Head of al-Azhar University, and was subsequently published in many publications in the Middle East which include, but are not limited to:
    al-Sha'ab newspaper (Egypt), issue of July 7, 1959. al-Kifah newspaper (Lebanon), issue of July 8, 1959.

Default Re: Al Azhar's Fatwa regarding Shias

Quote Originally Posted by mohamed
    I got this fatwa from a forum, it is regarding shias, i am surprised that its not getting coverage.

Fatwa (ruling) of Shaikh Mahmood Shaltoot
    Head Office of al-Azhar University:
    IN THE NAME OF ALLAH, THE BENEFICENT, THE MERCIFUL Text of the Verdict (Fatwa) Issued by His Excellency Shaikh al-Akbar Mahmood Shaltoot, Head of the al-Azhar University, on Permissibility of Following "al-Shia al-Imamiyyah" School of Thought
    His Excellency was asked:
    Some believe that, for a Muslim to have religiously correct worship and dealing, it is necessary to follow one of the four known schools of thought, whereas, "al-Shia al-Imamiyyah" school of thought is not one of them nor "al-Shia al-Zaidiyyah." Does your Excellency agree with this opinion, and prohibit following "al-Shia al-Imamiyyah al-Ithna Ashariyyah" school of thought, for example?
    His Excellency replied:
    1) Islam does not require a Muslim to follow a particular Madh'hab (school of thought). Rather, we say: every Muslim has the right to follow one of the schools of thought which has been correctly narrated and its verdicts have been compiled in its books. And, everyone who is following such Madhahib [schools of thought] can transfer to another school, and there shall be no crime on him for doing so.
    2) The Ja'fari school of thought, which is also known as "al-Shia al- Imamiyyah al-Ithna Ashariyyah" (i.e., The Twelver Imami Shi'ites) is a school of thought that is religiously correct to follow in worship as are other Sunni schools of thought. Muslims must know this, and ought to refrain from unjust prejudice to any particular school of thought, since the religion Allah and His Divine Law (Shari'ah) was never restricted to a particular school of thought. Their jurists (Mujtahidoon) are accepted by Almighty Allah, and it is permissible to the "non-Mujtahid" to follow them and to accord with their teaching whether in worship (Ibadaat) or transactions (Mu'amilaat).
    Signed, Mahmood Shaltoot.
    The above Fatwa was announced on July 6, 1959 from the Head of al-Azhar University, and was subsequently published in many publications in the Middle East which include, but are not limited to:
    al-Sha'ab newspaper (Egypt), issue of July 7, 1959. al-Kifah newspaper (Lebanon), issue of July 8, 1959.

al azhar isn't a salafist stronghold.

But ikhwan's growing influence (more a direct result of mubarek's dictatorial style of govt) might change all that.

"ikhwan is the mother of all problems in the Islamic world."
    ----Prince Nayef, Saudi Interior Minister

[http://middleeastinfo.net/article4735.html]
    [http://www.9-11commission.gov/hearin...ess_fandy.htm]

Banned

I don't know, but the ikhwan strike me as relatively moderate. They are struggling with the issue of democracy because of the issue of secularism. But some of their members are looking into the turkish example. The problem is the azhar clerics are not too excited about democracy because of the freedom it contains.

Sheikh Qaradawi is a staunch enemy of secularism. He talks about an islamic democracy.

Salaam

I have to unfortunately declare that the person giving this fatwa was not too knowledgeable of Shias or their ideology. This is so because he says that the Jaafari madhab is a madhab that can be followed like the other Sunni madhabs, and people can change their Madhabs, etc.

It is known that among the 4 Sunni madhabs, transfering to another madhab is acceptable and tolerated. However, according to Shia Aalims, it is absolutely heretical for a Shia person to switch to one of the four Sunni madhabs. I am not sure whether the Sunni Sheikh of Al-Azhar was aware of this issue when he pronounced this, or what his veredict would be if he had known of this Shia position...
    Purchase the book "Imaamah and Quran:An Objective perspective" from

http://www.lulu.com/content/213359

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by jello
    Salaam

I have to unfortunately declare that the person giving this fatwa was not too knowledgeable of Shias or their ideology. This is so because he says that the Jaafari madhab is a madhab that can be followed like the other Sunni madhabs, and people can change their Madhabs, etc.

It is known that among the 4 Sunni madhabs, transfering to another madhab is acceptable and tolerated. However, according to Shia Aalims, it is absolutely heretical for a Shia person to switch to one of the four Sunni madhabs. I am not sure whether the Sunni Sheikh of Al-Azhar was aware of this issue when he pronounced this, or what his veredict would be if he had known of this Shia position...

This does not mean anything, if some shias think that way it has nothing to do with how we should think.

But the part you said that the fatwa issuer does not know about shias was interesting. What makes you think that a man of his position will not know about the shias. Anyways, the azhar's official position has not changed untill today. Another interesting point he said is that madhabs are ijtihadat. And shiasm is one of them. I am trying to find more fatwas from azhar, but i did find this from sheikh Qaradawi:

Shaikh Yusuf al-Qaradawi's attitude towards Shias is particularly remarkable. Two fatwas recently issued by him relating to the Shias (accessible on the website www.islam-online.net ) suggest his serious willingness to engage in genuine dialogue with Shias and to tolerate differences, within broad limits, among Muslims. The first of these fatwas deals with the issue of inter-marriage between Shias and Sunnis. The Shaikh responds to the question by explaining the conditions for an ideal marriage. 'Matrimonial life', he says, 'should be based on mutual understanding between the spouses'. 'Heated arguments and continuous debates', he says, would threaten to ruin the marriage, leading to 'battle between the spouses'. One possible cause of serious conflict between spouses could be, the Shaikh says, if one of the partners, being a Sunni (here the Shaikh does not identify the person as such) supports 'Abu Bakr' and the other (presumably a Shia) 'defends Ali'. The Shaikh clearly says that he does not regard such a marriage as forbidden (haram) but, yet, he states, 'I don't prefer it'. This is because it would inevitably lead to conflict and eventual marital breakdown. He says that just as a Muslim man is allowed to marry a Christian woman, he could also marry a Shia woman. Yet, although he considers it legally permissible for a Sunni man to marry a Shia woman, he argues that such a marriage is 'not the ideal one'. However, he further qualifies his statement by stressing that if the Shia woman is a 'moderate Shi'ite', prays in the mosque along with Sunnis and 'does not support conflict with the Sunnis', a Sunni man can marry her if he 'really wants to'.

Interestingly, he adds in conclusion, 'It goes without saying that the above fatwa is also applicable in case the man is a Shi'ite and the woman is a Sunni'.

The Shaikh's second fatwa deals in greater detail with Shia-Sunni relations, particularly addressing the question of dialogue between the two groups. The fatwa, issued in March 2004 in reply to a question put to the Shaikh by a certain Husain from Iraq, bears the revealing title, 'Overlooking Differences Between Sunni and Shi'ite Muslims'. In reply to the question, the Shaikh begins by highlighting the importance that Islam places on Muslim brotherhood. This, he suggests, points to the urgent need for Shia-Sunni dialogue. He then lays down certain broad rules for Sunnis to follow in dialoguing with Shias. The most important rule, he says, is to 'concentrate on the points of agreement', not on areas of difference. Of the former, the most salient are those that deal with 'the fundamental issues of religion'. On the other hand, he suggests, most of the points of difference between Shias and Sunni have to do with 'minor' issues, and hence must not be allowed to become an obstacle in the process of dialogue.

He argues that both Shias as well as Sunnis share many fundamental beliefs, such as faith in one God, in Prophet Muhammad (Pbuh) as the 'Seal of the Prophets', in all the heavenly scriptures and prophets, and in the Quran as God's word. Shias as well as Sunnis agree in the matter of the 'five pillars' of Islam-the testimony to the oneness of God and to Prophet Muhammad as being God's messenger, the specified prayers, zakat, haj and fasting in the month of Ramadan. He goes so far as to argue that the differences between Shias and Sunnis in the ways in which the 'five pillars' are understood are 'like the scholarly difference in opinion among the Sunni schools themselves, such as the Hanbali, Hanafi and Maliki schools'.

In his effort to bring Shias and Sunnis closer, the Shaikh approvingly refers to the well-known Sunni scholar Imam Ash-Shawakani, who, he writes, 'referred to eminent scholars of jurisprudence among the Sunnis and Shi'ites on equal footing'. The Shaikh maintains that in matters of jurisprudence, on issues concerning both 'worship' and 'transactions', there is probably no 'crucial difference' between Shias and Sunnis. The Shaikh is not unmindful of the differences, on certain issues, between the Sunnis and most Shias, although he considers them relatively insignificant, at least compared to what they share in common. In highlighting the commonalities between the two, he also argues against a widely held view in some Sunni circles, of all Shias as believing in certain doctrines that are not accepted by the Sunnis. END

Maybe the azhar should be the spokes person for the muslims.

Salaam

Let me be clear: I am not against unity of Muslims. However, we should now what our Shia friends truly think about us before we jump the wagon and declare everything as correct and acceptable.

For example, now brother muhammad brought the view of Qaradawi. I respect him, but I have to say that the pillars of Imaan and Islam as viewed by the Shia are different that those of the Sunnis. Yes, some similarity, but in totality we do not agree on the Arkan of Islam and the Arkan of Iman. Just to show this, what are the Arkan of Iman as viewed by the Imami Shia ?
    Purchase the book "Imaamah and Quran:An Objective perspective" from

http://www.lulu.com/content/213359

Banned

The pillars for shias i think is the same as sunnis except they have the imamate also, the imamate that is of the 12 imams.

Look, the question from me is how important is the koran, because we both follow the same koran. What happened is we had to rely on historical realities where we have different hadiths. These hadiths have evolved as a major part of our religious heritage, it has caused various division. The shias say our hadith are false, and we say theres are false. The got the imamate from hadith, we got the companions and their followers from hadith. The koran does not mention(except Zaid) any companion or Ahl ul bait. So this is what we have, we can't go back to history to get the truth, lets look at our similarities and not differences.

If we invoke kufr relying on our hadith sources, then we are marginalising the koran, don't you think?

mohammad
    The pillars for shias i think is the same as sunnis except they have the imamate also, the imamate that is of the 12 imams.
    Of all that you have been through I dont see how could you make such a comment.

Islam= there is no God save Allah
    Shi'ism= There is no God and Ali is that god

Islam=no one can see the unseen
    Shi'ism= their Imaams can see the unseen

Islam=The quraan is pure of any adulteration, unchanged, perfect
    SHi'ism= our quraan is not perfect, it has been tampered with and they have the real one

Islam= Aisha is a beleiver (a tenent of faith as disbeleif in this entails disbeleif in what Allah has said)
    Shi'ism= Aisha is a kaafir whore (authubillah)

Islam=no one is better than the prophets
    Shi'ism= their Imaams are better than ALL the prophets and messengers and angels

In the above Islam I am referring to is what the prophet brought to us and the companions stood for.Also what was stated regarding the Islamic position is in fact the positions of the legal schools of fiqh.

SHi'ism is what Islam warned against and fought against.
    You say in your signature that 'If they beleive in the quraan, then they are our brothers in faith" so by this statement of yuors then according to two of the above pouints, you agree that theyare not yuor brothers in faith as
    1. they do nto beleive that your quraan that you read at home akheee is the quraan and
    2. they disbeleive in the ayaah that goes against their desire. Disbeleiving a single letter consitutes kufr al-akbaar that which excommunicates from the religion

So if you were sincere in this signature of yours, you would not hold them to be muslim as their own creed denies Islam.

asalamu alaikum
    Islamic Thought In the Modern Era of the Islamic Awakening: Dissemination of Islamic research and studies
    al-Mustaqeem Publications
    “The bonds of Islam will be broken one by one. Every time a bond is undone, the people will cling to the bond that follows. The first of these bonds is rulership (khilaafa) and the last is the prayer (salah).” Reported by Ahmad and Tabarani. Al-Hakim stated that the chain is authentic.

Salaam brother Izarree,

What you post are generalizations. Are you certain that all the Shi'a believe in what you claim they believe? If not then it is haram to accuse people with what they have not said.

Hussein

qwhat I stated about them derived tfrom their own statements. Not mine

I refuse to make allegations on people as my way. No, rrather I only say in regards to relating what people think or beleive, exactly what they say.

So I dont say this, rather these beleifs comes from them.

many of them in their own books

asalamu alaikum
    Islamic Thought In the Modern Era of the Islamic Awakening: Dissemination of Islamic research and studies
    “The bonds of Islam will be broken one by one. Every time a bond is undone, the people will cling to the bond that follows. The first of these bonds is rulership (khilaafa) and the last is the prayer (salah).” Reported by Ahmad and Tabarani. Al-Hakim stated that the chain is authentic.

Then please post referrences brother so that we can look it up

Hussein

inshallah in due time.

aslaamu alaikum

Quote Originally Posted by hlatif
    Salaam brother Izarree,

What you post are generalizations. Are you certain that all the Shi'a believe in what you claim they believe? If not then it is haram to accuse people with what they have not said.

Hussein
    what the shia says about sunnis:
    http://www.islamawareness.net/Devian...hia-sunni.html

verdict on shiah
    http://www.islamawareness.net/Devian...g_on_shia.html

truth about shiism
    http://www.islamawareness.net/Devian...ut_shiism.html

There will be more references in due time inshaAllah
    :bounce: