Thread: If Jesus Never Called Himself God, How Did He Become One?

Veteran Member

Default If Jesus Never Called Himself God, How Did He Become One?

During his lifetime, Jesus himself didn't call himself God and didn't consider himself God, and ... none of his disciples had any inkling at all that he was God. ...

You do find Jesus calling himself God in the Gospel of John, or the last Gospel. Jesus says things like, "Before Abraham was, I am." And, "I and the Father are one," and, "If you've seen me, you've seen the Father." These are all statements you find only in the Gospel of John, and that's striking because we have earlier gospels and we have the writings of Paul, and in none of them is there any indication that Jesus said such things. ...

Full article: http://www.npr.org/2014/04/07/300246...ntent=04072014

Default Re: If Jesus Never Called Himself God, How Did He Become One?

This is addressed, along with much much more, in Ustadh Ali Ataie course in the Bible on SeekersGuidance: The Bible Through a Muslim Lens.

The course is free and registration is still open!
    "Allah is the point. If it is other-than-Allah, then it is besides the point." - Nuh Ha Mim Keller

The bible clearly states that Jesus is God.

14 And God said to Moses, "I AM WHO I AM." And He said, "Thus you shall say to the children of Israel,`I AM has sent me to you.'" (Exod. 3:14 NKJ)

13 ye call me, The Teacher and The Lord, and ye say well, for I am (Jn. 13:13 YLT)

Joh_8:57 Then said the Jews unto him, Thou art not yet fifty years old, and hast thou seen Abraham?
    Joh_8:58 Jesus said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Before Abraham was, I am.
    Last edited by rusststone1; 31st July 2017 at 13:39.

8 But unto the Son he saith, Thy throne, O God, is for ever and ever: a sceptre of righteousness is the sceptre of thy kingdom.
    9 Thou hast loved righteousness, and hated iniquity; therefore God, even thy God, hath anointed thee with the oil of gladness above thy fellows.
    10 And, Thou, Lord, in the beginning hast laid the foundation of the earth; and the heavens are the works of thine hands:
    11 They shall perish; but thou remainest; and they all shall wax old as doth a garment;
    12 And as a vesture shalt thou fold them up, and they shall be changed: but thou art the same, and thy years shall not fail.
    13 But to which of the angels said he at any time, Sit on my right hand, until I make thine enemies thy footstool?
    14 Are they not all ministering spirits, sent forth to minister for them who shall be heirs of salvation? (Heb. 1:8-14 KJG)

Quote Originally Posted by rusststone1 View Post
    14 And God said to Moses, "I AM WHO I AM." And He said, "Thus you shall say to the children of Israel,`I AM has sent me to you.'" (Exod. 3:14 NKJ)

13 ye call me, The Teacher and The Lord, and ye say well, for I am (Jn. 13:13 YLT)

Joh_8:57 Then said the Jews unto him, Thou art not yet fifty years old, and hast thou seen Abraham?
    Joh_8:58 Jesus said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Before Abraham was, I am.
    Joh_8:59 Then took they up stones to cast at him: but Jesus hid himself, and went out of the temple, going through the midst of them, and so passed by.

Why did the Jews throw stones at Jesus?

Quote Originally Posted by MASRY View Post
    Joh_8:59 Then took they up stones to cast at him: but Jesus hid himself, and went out of the temple, going through the midst of them, and so passed by.

For the claim he made in verse 58 Joh_8:58 Jesus said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Before Abraham was, I am.

Same reason why they tried to stone Him in chapter 10 of John,

Joh 10:30 I and my Father are one.
    Joh 10:31 Then the Jews took up stones again to stone him.
    Joh 10:32 Jesus answered them, Many good works have I shewed you from my Father; for which of those works do ye stone me?
    Joh 10:33 The Jews answered him, saying, For a good work we stone thee not; but for blasphemy; and because that thou, being a man, makest thyself God.
    Joh 10:34 Jesus answered them, Is it not written in your law, I said, Ye are gods?
    Joh 10:35 If he called them gods, unto whom the word of God came, and the scripture cannot be broken;
    Joh 10:36 Say ye of him, whom the Father hath sanctified, and sent into the world, Thou blasphemest; because I said, I am the Son of God?
    Joh 10:37 If I do not the works of my Father, believe me not.
    Joh 10:38 But if I do, though ye believe not me, believe the works: that ye may know, and believe, that the Father is in me, and I in him.
    Joh 10:39 Therefore they sought again to take him: but he escaped out of their hand,

Can we agree that the premise of the question is wrong as I have demonstrated.

So the question should be, Since Jesus is God, how did He Become One?
    Last edited by rusststone1; 2nd August 2017 at 13:26.

Quote Originally Posted by rusststone1 View Post
    Can we agree that the premise of the question is wrong as I have demonstrated.

So the question should be, Since Jesus is God, how did He Become One?
    If I was there when Jesus said, "Before Abraham was, I am and I and father are one". I'll also throw stones at him.

If I was there when Jesus said, "Before Abraham was, I am and I and father are one". I'll also throw stones at him.
    Do you want to have any meaningful discussion on the topic or not? What is your purpose here.

Hey, welcome to the forum, RusstStone1.

I am sure you are aware Muslims view Isa (pbuh) a bit differently from Christians. The Jews view him from a different perspective, as well. From the Islamic perspective, the absolute indivisiveness of God is called tawhid. I am sure you can appreciate how Isa calling himself Allah breaks this indivisive nature, yes?

From that, you can surely deduce the rest.

Regards,
    think