Thread: The Koran and the Psalms

(THOAT-wob-lur MAN-grove)

Default The Koran and the Psalms

Because People of the Bible are often confused about the Koran's parallel nature with the Davidic Psalms, I am here going to post an edited version of an article from my site for their education.

...Many of the Psalms are not attributed to the blessed David. Well, that’s the thing: the Koran speaks of God giving the Psalms to the blessed David, and no one else, so that means that, from an Islamic point of view, the psalms by the other people were not inspired. The real psalms, the inspired ones, were given to the blessed David, not Asaph or any of those other guys....

In this document I am going to show you many the key points in the Davidic psalms, ones not bound by their immediate historical context and thus irrelevant to the seventh century Arabs, are contained in the Koran, and also the key passage from the famous “imprecatory psalm” which is not to be found in the Koran (nor any other command to kill an infant or infants; see also 1 Samuel 15:3). In other words, this article is going to offer yet another example on this page of how the Koran offers a perfected, polished version of the earlier teachings and scriptures, free from corruptions both textual and moral. Christians and Judaists alike should take note, as this article will provide another example of how the Koran offers a distilled, succint and purified version of their scriptures....

--------------------------------------------------

Psalmic Laws Contained in the Koran

He who walks blamelessly, and does what is right, and speaks truth from his heart; who...does not put out his money at interest, and does not take a bribe against the innocent. (Psalms 15:2-5)

Consume not your goods between you to vanity; neither proffer it to the judges, that you may sinfully consume a portion of other men’s goods, and that wittingly. (Koran 2:188)

[i]God blots out usury, but freewill offerings He augments with interest. God loves not any guilty ingrate. (Koran 2:276)

For my brethren and companions’ sake I will say, "Peace be within you!” (Psalms 122:8)

And when those who believe in Our signs come to thee, say, “Peace be upon you.” (Koran 6:54)

Who shall ascend the hill of the LORD? And who shall stand in his holy place? He who has clean hands and a pure heart, who does not lift up his soul to what is false, and does not swear deceitfully. (Psalms 24:3-4)

But if it be discovered that both of them have merited the accusation of any sin, then two others shall stand in their place, these being the nearest of those most concerned, and they shall swear by God, “Our testimony is truer than their testimony, and we have not transgressed, for then we would assuredly be among the evildoers.” (Koran 5:107)

I do not sit with false men, nor do I consort with dissemblers; I hate the company of evildoers, and I will not sit with the wicked. (Psalms 26:4-5)

Let not the believers take the unbelievers [note: this term is also translatable as "evildoers"] for friends, rather than the believers--for whoso does that belongs not to God in anything--unless you have a fear of them. (Koran 3:28)

Other Instructions and Good Examples Set Forth by the Psalms and Contained in the Koran

Blessed is every one who fears the LORD, who walks in his ways! (Psalms 128:1)

Thou only warnest him who follows the Remembrance and who fears the All-merciful in the Unseen. (Koran 36:11)

My soul is feasted as with marrow and fat, and my mouth praises thee with joyful lips. When I think of thee upon my bed, and meditate on thee in the watches of the night. (Psalms 63:5-6)

The servants if the All-merciful are those who...pass the night prostrate to their Lord and standing. (Koran 25:63-64)

Psalmic Information About Us and Our Future Contained in the Koran

If thou, O LORD, shouldst mark iniquities, Lord, who could stand? But here is forgiveness with thee, that thou mayest be feared. (Psalms 130:3-4)

If God should take men to task for their evildoing, He would not leave on the earth one creature that crawls; but He is deferring them to a term stated; and when their term is come they shall not put it back by a single hour nor put it forward. (Koran 16:61)

The righteous shall possess the land, and dwell upon it for ever. (Psalms 37:29)

For We have written in the Psalms, after the Remembrance, “The earth shall be the inheritance of My righteous servants.” Surely in this is a Message delivered unto a people who serve. (Koran 21:105)

Psalmic Information About God Contained in the Koran

The LORD is gracious and merciful.... (Psalms 145:8)

In the name of Allah, Most Gracious, Most Merciful. (Koran 1:1, Abdullah Yusuf Ali’s translation)

Thy eyes beheld my unformed substance; in thy book were written, every one of them, the days that were formed for me, when as yet there was none of them. (Psalms 139:16)

Thou hast kept count of my tossings; put thou my tears in thy bottle! Are they not in thy book? (Psalms 56:8)

With Him are the keys of the Unseen; none knows them but He. He knows what is in land and sea; not a leaf falls, but He knows it. Not a grain in the earth’s shadows, not a thing, fresh or withered, but it is in a Book Manifest. (Koran 6:59)

Let the floods clap their hands; let the hills sing for joy together before the LORD, for he comes to judge the earth. He will judge the world with righteousness, and the peoples with equity. (Psalms 98:8-9)

To every people (was sent) an apostle: when their apostle comes (before them), the matter will be judged between them with justice, and they will not be wronged. (Koran 10:47)

Evil from the Psalms Which Is Left Out of the Koran

O daughter of Babylon, you devastator! Happy shall he be who requites you with what you have done to us! Happy shall he be who takes your little ones and dashes them against the rock! (Psalms 137:8-9)

Conclusion

The Koran is, as I keep demonstrating with my articles on this site, a polished, perfected version of many parts of the Bible. It can be thought of as a final draft of the Bible which cleans up the corruptions (such as textual variants), evil or unrealistic passages, and blasphemous depictions of God, and gives you a wonderfully polished, perfected text with an unparalleled sense of devotion to monotheistic doctrine and worship. In this article I have demonstrated how the Koran contains a beautifully concise yet full distillation of the laws, facts and sunnah of the Davidic Psalms, the context of which can apply to all people at all times, not just Jews oppressed by Babylonians or seventh century Arabs, and leaves out the infamous blemish in Psalm 137, nor has any equivalent to any passage like that or 1 Samuel 15:3. The Koran and the Bible will never compare, since the Koran is so unmistakably superior to the other even as it contains the best of it.

Default Re: The Koran and the Psalms

subhanallah, ahsanta akhee
    Islamic Thought In the Modern Era of the Islamic Awakening: Dissemination of Islamic research and studies
    al-Mustaqeem Publications
    “The bonds of Islam will be broken one by one. Every time a bond is undone, the people will cling to the bond that follows. The first of these bonds is rulership (khilaafa) and the last is the prayer (salah).” Reported by Ahmad and Tabarani. Al-Hakim stated that the chain is authentic.

(THOAT-wob-lur MAN-grove)

Default Re: The Koran and the Psalms

I don't know what that means. I haven't yet learned to speak Arabic.