Thread: calculation of zakah

Veteran Member

Default calculation of zakah

Can I ask for the views of my learned friends. There is a nisab for zakah on wealth, produce and animals. When we go beyond the nisab, is zakah applicable on the amount above nisab only or the entire amount.

Default Re: calculation of zakah

Salam,

Afaik it is applicable on the entire amount. Else it would be this: someone is 1 $ above nisab, so zakah for him becomes 2.5 cents, which brings into question the purpose of nisab itself.. ?
    Nine things the Lord has commanded me: Fear of God in private and in public; Justness, whether in anger or in calmness; Moderation in both poverty and affluence; That I should join hands with those who break away from me; And give to those who deprive me; And forgive those who wrong me; And that my silence should be meditation; And my words remembrance of God; And my vision keen observation.- Prophet Muhammad (pbuh)

Veteran Member

There is a difference of opinion among Al Mawrid scholars on this issue. Moiz Amjad's view is that nisab is exempt from zakah. Ghamidi believes that once amount crosses nisab, zakah is calculated from the entire amount. In fact this question was asked by Ronnie. I would be grateful for reasons for and against regarding both opinions.

http://www.understanding-islam.com/q...for-zakat-9457

Zakaah is due one whatever wealth you have not touched for one year. And wealth includes, gold, silver, harvest, business institutes etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Just a Muslim View Post
    Zakaah is due one whatever wealth you have not touched for one year. And wealth includes, gold, silver, harvest, business institutes etc.
    how does that answer what Doc asked ?
    Nine things the Lord has commanded me: Fear of God in private and in public; Justness, whether in anger or in calmness; Moderation in both poverty and affluence; That I should join hands with those who break away from me; And give to those who deprive me; And forgive those who wrong me; And that my silence should be meditation; And my words remembrance of God; And my vision keen observation.- Prophet Muhammad (pbuh)

Nisab is has to do with time and not the amount of wealth one accumulated.

Quote Originally Posted by shaad_lko View Post
    how does that answer what Doc asked ?
    welcome to dhaahirism 101
    Islamic Thought In the Modern Era of the Islamic Awakening: Dissemination of Islamic research and studies
    al-Mustaqeem Publications
    “The bonds of Islam will be broken one by one. Every time a bond is undone, the people will cling to the bond that follows. The first of these bonds is rulership (khilaafa) and the last is the prayer (salah).” Reported by Ahmad and Tabarani. Al-Hakim stated that the chain is authentic.

Quote Originally Posted by Just a Muslim View Post
    Nisab is has to do with time and not the amount of wealth one accumulated.
    nisaab has to do with both time AND amount of wealth, not just time.There has to be a certain amount. If there was no issue of "amount", then this completely extinguishes the purpose of zakah and it cripples the criterion of "WHO" becomes a recipient and who it is taken from.
    Islamic Thought In the Modern Era of the Islamic Awakening: Dissemination of Islamic research and studies
    al-Mustaqeem Publications
    “The bonds of Islam will be broken one by one. Every time a bond is undone, the people will cling to the bond that follows. The first of these bonds is rulership (khilaafa) and the last is the prayer (salah).” Reported by Ahmad and Tabarani. Al-Hakim stated that the chain is authentic.

Assalam O Allikum
    Zakat is compulsory for every Muslim and for every person who has a specific amount of money throughout the year. Zakat is applicable on 7-1/2 weight of gold and 52-1/2 on silver and amount equal to this nisaab. Zakat is applicable on only your saving throughout the year.

The literal meaning of Zakat is ‘to cleanse’ or ‘purification’. In the Islamic faith, Zakat means purifying your wealth for the will of Allah to acknowledge that everything we own belongs to Allah SWT and to work towards the improvement of the Muslim Ummah. According to Islamic rules, Zakat is 2.5% of one year’s total cumulative wealth. This amount is then distributed to the poor. Prophet Mohammad (PBUH) has said “Whoever pays the zakat on his wealth will have its evil removed from him”