Thread: Vit D,Sunshine Hormone.

Veteran Member

Default Vit D,Sunshine Hormone.

Why is this knowledge not widely spread?Such a simple way of avoiding so many serious illnesses!

http://youtu.be/TQ-qekFoi-o
    Islam isnt for studying,its for living

Veteran Member

Default Re: Vit D,Sunshine Hormone.

Vitamin D is a vitamin and not a hormone. Hormone by definition is something produced inside the body by an endocrine gland, the product is carried via blood and works away from its origin. i.e insulin or thyroxine produced by pancreas and thyroid hormone respectively.

Veteran Member

Quote Originally Posted by DocW View Post
    Vitamin D is a vitamin and not a hormone. Hormone by definition is something produced inside the body by an endocrine gland, the product is carried via blood and works away from its origin. i.e insulin or thyroxine produced by pancreas and thyroid hormone respectively.
    Doc w- It is produced by the largest organ,the skin.....you should know this.
    A vitamin is something that cannot be manufactured by the body.

Not pretending to be an expert,Iam told by the "experts" that it is not a Vitamin,but a precurser to a true hormone,hence more like a hormone.

Donald W. Miller, Jr., MD states-

"Vitamin D is unique . It is the only vitamin that is a hormone, a type of steroid hormone known as a secosteroid, with three carbon rings.

Steroid hormones such as cortisone, estrogen, and testosterone have four carbon rings. Ultraviolet B radiation in sunlight breaks open one of the rings in a steroid alcohol present in the skin, 7-dehydrocholesterol, to form vitamin D (cholecalciferol). The liver changes this molecule into its circulating form, 25-hydroxyvitamin D (calcidiol, 25[OH]D), the "vitamin D" blood tests measure. Cells throughout the body absorb 25-hydroxyvitamin D and change it into 1,25-dihydroxyvitamin D (calcitriol), the active form of vitamin D that attaches directly to receptors on the DNA of genes in the cell’s nucleus. "

http://youtu.be/NuERBbJAT5M

It seems that most "Drs" are not that educated on the subject,this is why the general population are suffering because of lack of knowledge by the people we expect to know these things.
    Last edited by alan; 19th May 2012 at 09:04.

Veteran Member

It seems that most "Drs" are not that educated on the subject,this is why the general population are suffering because of lack of knowledge by the people we expect to know these things.

I have no issue if you are referring to my knowledge and ability, but please do not hold the entire medical profession at fault.

Let me ask you one thing the vitamin D that is produced from skin , is it effective to circulate in blood stream and produce the desired effect like all other hormones e.g insulin, thyroxine, growth hormone, oestrogen, progesterone?

No

Vitamin D is converted to calcidiol in the liver. Part of the calcidiol is converted by the kidneys to calcitriol, the biologically active form of vitamin D. This circulates as a hormone in the blood, regulating the concentration of calcium and phosphate in the bloodstream and promoting the healthy growth and remodeling of bone.

Veteran Member

Quote Originally Posted by DocW View Post

I have no issue if you are referring to my knowledge and ability, but please do not hold the entire medical profession at fault.

Let me ask you one thing the vitamin D that is produced from skin , is it effective to circulate in blood stream and produce the desired effect like all other hormones e.g insulin, thyroxine, growth hormone, oestrogen, progesterone?

No

Vitamin D is converted to calcidiol in the liver. Part of the calcidiol is converted by the kidneys to calcitriol, the biologically active form of vitamin D. This circulates as a hormone in the blood, regulating the concentration of calcium and phosphate in the bloodstream and promoting the healthy growth and remodeling of bone.
    Not being an expert,unlike those who suggest it is more of a hormone than a vitamin,I have weighed up the evidence and lean towards its hormonal quality.
    However,this is diverting the whole arguement away from the important health message,something,some "Dr,s",appear to do.
    I clearly dont hold the "entire medical proffession"at fault,or I wouldnt be promoting the views of these Doctors....
    Vit D is realatively simple and cheap potential solution to a number of serious conditions,it may do away,for example,the use of statins in the long run.Statins,which are now being strongly promoted "even for those at low risk"(BBC).this smacks of pharmacutical marketing.
    Last edited by alan; 20th May 2012 at 08:40.