Thread: Is the Tree of life pagan?

Default Is the Tree of life pagan?

The tree of life seems to be*universal through out history, so is it pagan and what are the Muslim view of it?*

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tree_of_life*

Default Re: Is the Tree of life pagan?

The origin of it is not pagan but it is used by pagans just as Iblees (Satan) is used by pagans, but he himself knows that there is only One God.

In Islam, There is nothing significant of the tree. The significance of it is linked to Allah's command to Adam to NOT eat from it. Now, the devil who already understood the implication of disobeying a direct order from God in which he himself did when Allah commanded him to bow down to Adam, decided to transport this same experience to Adam and have God cast Adam out of paradise just as he was for disobeying a direct order.

The way Iblees seduced Adam to disobey a direct order was to appeal to Adams inner desires and inclinations. He did that with two routes
    1. the concept of granting him ever lasting life
    2. the concept of granting him power and knowledge

The conversation is as follows (and there are multiple modes of this conversation depicting another aspect of the entire scenario of what happened in the Qur'an. Thisis the version presented in chapter seven, versus 12-25.

11 And surely, We created you (your father Adam) and then gave you shape (the noble shape of a human being); then We told the angels, "Prostrate yourselves to Adam", and they prostrated themselves, except Iblis (Satan), he refused to be of those who prostrated themselves.

12 (Allah) said: "What prevented you (O Iblis) that you did not prostrate yourself, when I commanded you?" Iblis said: "I am better than him (Adam), You created me from fire, and him You created from clay."

13 (Allah) said: "(O Iblis) get down from this (Paradise), it is not for you to be arrogant here. Get out, for you are of those humiliated and disgraced."

14 (Iblis) said: "Allow me respite till the Day they are raised up (i.e. the Day of Resurrection)."

15 (Allah) said: "You are of those respited."

16 (Iblis) said: "Because You have sent me astray, surely I will sit in wait against them (human beings) on Your Straight Path.

17 "Then I will come to them from before them and behind them, from their right and from their left, and You will not find most of them as thankful ones (i.e. they will not be dutiful to You)."

18 (Allah) said (to Iblis): "Get out from this (Paradise), disgraced and expelled. Whoever of them (mankind) will follow you, then surely I will fill Hell with you all."

19 "And O Adam! Dwell you and your wife in Paradise, and eat thereof as you both wish, but approach not this tree otherwise you both will be of the Zalimun (unjust and wrong-doers)."

20 Then Shaitan (Satan) whispered suggestions to them both in order to uncover that which was hidden from them of their private parts (before); he said: "Your Lord did not forbid you this tree save that you should become angels or become of the immortals."

21 And he [Shaitan (Satan)] swore by Allah to them both (saying): "Verily, I am one of the sincere well-wishers for you both."

22 So he misled them with deception. Then when they tasted of the tree, that which was hidden from them of their shame (private parts) became manifest to them and they began to cover themselves with the leaves of Paradise (in order to cover their shame). And their Lord called out to them (saying): "Did I not forbid you that tree and tell you: Verily, Shaitan (Satan) is an open enemy unto you?"

23 They said: "Our Lord! We have wronged ourselves. If You forgive us not, and bestow not upon us Your Mercy, we shall certainly be of the losers."

24 (Allah) said: "Get down, one of you is an enemy to the other [i.e. Adam, Hawwa' (Eve), and Shaitan (Satan)]. On earth will be a dwelling-place for you and an enjoyment for a time."

25 He said: "Therein you shall live, and therein you shall die, and from it you shall be brought out (i.e. resurrected)."
    Thus in Islamic doctrine, the tree was nothing more than
    1. the criterion for Allah's obedience from disobedience
    2. was utilized by Iblees as a tool to ensnare him with the deception of granting Adam a "kingdom that never perishes (which is recorded in another version elsewhere in the Qur'an)" and immortality.

From this basic incident, Ibless continued to use the tree to indoctrinate his followers among the jinn, who pressumably had contact with the humans who accepted themselves to the occult, to explain to them that the tree was a sign of knowledge. Thus it was used in occult traditions of the pagans ever since. Most of the people who continue to use it in their doctrines are the occult societies like modern and premodern masonry and other secret societies.

I hope that clarifies it
    Islamic Thought In the Modern Era of the Islamic Awakening: Dissemination of Islamic research and studies
    al-Mustaqeem Publications
    “The bonds of Islam will be broken one by one. Every time a bond is undone, the people will cling to the bond that follows. The first of these bonds is rulership (khilaafa) and the last is the prayer (salah).” Reported by Ahmad and Tabarani. Al-Hakim stated that the chain is authentic.

Yes that helped greatly ^^ thank you for the intresting info. When I was in the gnostic world we used the tree as symbolic of our inner being (activating the spirit within) and this Is pose to bring us into enlightenment. We viewed it as the tree of life and as we studie other cultures we see that the Religious scriptures around the world that has this tree as this video will show you:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6CF8V...e_gdata_player

I have another question if what your saying is true... Is the book of*Proverbs an occult? The book is about attaining Wisdom who is a tree if life to those who finds her and she pretty much does the following:

Building and establishing a house (Proverbs 24:3-4).
    Preserving life (Proverbs 3:21-23).
    Safety and a clear path (Proverbs 3:21-23).
    Better to own than gold or silver (Proverbs 16:16).
    Giver of patience and glory (Proverbs 19:11).

According to wiki:

The word wisdom is mentioned 222 times in the Old Testament and New Testament of the Bible . Both the books of Proverbs and Psalms urge readers to obtain and to increase in wisdom.*

Later on in the new testement she becomes*Sophia which is a Wisdom Goddess in the Greek world
    http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sophia_%28wisdom%29

I have stuided new age beliefs and I can tell you that alot of info is being channeled by beings who claim to be from other planets and they pretty much teaches this type of stuff. They pretty much say we are all part of source(God) and that they are here to help us spiritually and also teaching us how to meet our "higherselves" (spirit guides) *

Veteran Member

In Islam, a tree is mentioned in the story of Adam and Eve, but it was just meant to test and demonstrate. Nothing more.

The Tree of Life is Ancient Egyptian in origin. It is actually a pattern, either upright or upside-down for the genetics of life. It plugs into the Flower of Life that has been inscribed upon so many walls in Egyptian temples and also in the pyramids. The Flower of Life is the blueprint for every living thing. In addition, the "Tree of Life" is a map of the human soul, with the trunk symbolizing the spine, the branches the 144,000 nadis, and the fruits symbolizing the rewards of meditation- working on one's soul. One lives from the "fruits" of one's soul.