Thread: Is Niqab is Fard?

Veteran Member

Default Is Niqab is Fard?

Here is an article that says so: http://www.facebook.com/notes/niqab-...48615948519193

Knowledgeable people give me the opinion.

Thanks!

Veteran Member

Default Re: Is Niqab is Fard?

Anyone?

Alhamdullilah..

Quote Originally Posted by hyd View Post
    Here is an article that says so: http://www.facebook.com/notes/niqab-...48615948519193

Knowledgeable people give me the opinion.

Thanks!
    Assalamu'alaykum wa Rahmatullahi wa Barakatuhu,

The article is kind of huge, so I didn't read it, I've bookmarked it though for future reference iA. Thanks.

But, even before I've come across the opinion that the Niqab is compulsory. But as far as I know there is a difference of opinion.

Wallahu 'Alam.

I'm not that knowledgeable so I don't know. Maybe someone else can help. Bi idhnillah.

Instead of hazarding a definite answer, I would say that the issue here is one of methodology. How do you arrive at the conclusion that something is fardh - based on Quran and the mutawatir Sunna..?

If one agrees with the methodology of this article, then one would have to accept that Niqab is fardh - if on the other hand, one finds a better methodology to determine the stance of Islam on everything, then one should go with that. Imho, it is intellectual honesty to be consistent in applying the same methodology to all our issues, particularly in religious matters as sensitive as this. Its more or less a case of what constitutes proof for you and which argument has weightier evidence.
    Nine things the Lord has commanded me: Fear of God in private and in public; Justness, whether in anger or in calmness; Moderation in both poverty and affluence; That I should join hands with those who break away from me; And give to those who deprive me; And forgive those who wrong me; And that my silence should be meditation; And my words remembrance of God; And my vision keen observation.- Prophet Muhammad (pbuh)

Veteran Member

Well Quran doesn't mention it, although the lady who was arguing also posted an article that is arguing from Quran. But that is easy to tackle. From hadith angle, it is more difficult to refute. But I said one thing, than how can something be fard that goes against Ihram. You are not suppose to cover the face in ihram. But this is not a strong refutation. Second, I expect these people to argue that is fard in ihram too. Haven't seen so far, but I'm expecting. Because we had a niqabi lady our hajj group and she was very uncomfortable without the niqaab in ihram. Mualim with us told her that she can cover the face, but cloth shouldn't touch the face. Sooner or later I'm expecting arguments to allow it in ihram too. I've nothing against it, but making it fardh is gross misinterpretation of hadith, Quran, and history.

Quote Originally Posted by hyd View Post
    Well Quran doesn't mention it, although the lady who was arguing also posted an article that is arguing from Quran. But that is easy to tackle. From hadith angle, it is more difficult to refute. But I said one thing, than how can something be fard that goes against Ihram. You are not suppose to cover the face in ihram. But this is not a strong refutation. Second, I expect these people to argue that is fard in ihram too. Haven't seen so far, but I'm expecting. Because we had a niqabi lady our hajj group and she was very uncomfortable without the niqaab in ihram. Mualim with us told her that she can cover the face, but cloth shouldn't touch the face. Sooner or later I'm expecting arguments to allow it in ihram too. I've nothing against it, but making it fardh is gross misinterpretation of hadith, Quran, and history.
    I think uncovering of face in Ihram is a very good point which is hard to refute either through the Hadith or through historical practice. Another point is that quoting a standalone hadith or even verse from the Quran (unless explicit like prohibition of pork, blood, etc) really doesnt prove much since laws are deduced taking into account the total picture (which includes context, understanding by earlier generations, concordance with other verses and sum of Hadith literature).

Personally, I think its more of a cultural outlook of Muslims - earlier generations in my own family used to wear niqab and burqa - today it has also become discredited because symbolically many born Muslims look upon it as an example of disinclination towards Islamic virtues - maybe you dont know but in Kashmir, women now have started preferring hijab to burqa as quite a few burqa clad women were stigmatized with having other vices (they adhered more to niqab but at the same time indulged in backbiting, loose talk, and other such stuff..). In my own place, niqab is looked down upon as being a black sheep (ie - everything is okay as long as you are covered up front), though I agree one should not generalize based on that !
    Nine things the Lord has commanded me: Fear of God in private and in public; Justness, whether in anger or in calmness; Moderation in both poverty and affluence; That I should join hands with those who break away from me; And give to those who deprive me; And forgive those who wrong me; And that my silence should be meditation; And my words remembrance of God; And my vision keen observation.- Prophet Muhammad (pbuh)

There is a difference of opinion amongst mainstream scholars. The majority of scholars hold that it is not obligatory, but is a virtuous act. A minority do hold it to be an obligation. Both have their evidences and Allah knows best.
    "I spent thirty years learning manners, and I spent twenty years learning knowledge."

~ 'Abdullāh bin al-Mubārak (rahimahullah)

Veteran Member

According to Ghamidi in Quran where norms of gender interaction are discussed in 24;27-31. Quran states to believing men and women to restrain there eyes and guard their private parts. If women were in niqab then what would be the point to ask men to restrain their eyes? It requires women to cover their chest and not reveal their embellishments.

Yea Niqab is fard in islam and Allah almighty says in the holy Qur'an in the following verses..............
    Surah Al-Ahzaab, Verse #59
    ‘O Prophet! Tell your wives and your daughters and the women of the believers to draw their cloaks ("Jalabib") veils all over their bodies (screen themselves completely except the eyes or one eye to see the way Tafseer Al-Qurtabi) that is most convenient that they should be known (as such) and not molested: and Allah is Oft-Forgiving Most Merciful."

Basically, for a man, his private parts are his awrah while for a female almost all of her body is awrah. During prayer, it is the duty of men to cover most parts of the body although the awarah part is only small. In women on the other hand, apart from covering the whole body, it is mandatory not to cover the face. Similarly, during ehram the face needs to be uncovered. Looking at this, women's face is definitely not her awrah and therefore, covering it is not fard.