Thread: What is soul?

Default What is soul?

Hi ^^

Been Reading few chaptures of the Quran and understood the concept of no afterlife till the ressurection and the part where Allah used this guy as a sample who died for 100 years and asked him what state was he in and the guy said "it was like sleeping for a day or half a day" something like that.*
    So that to me is clearly saying we are not enternal spirits living in a body.*
    Now I'm just Reading*An-Nisa and it says that Allah created us from a single soul. So my question is what is the*terminology of the soul?

Veteran Member

Default Re: What is soul?

In single soul in that verse means Adam (pbuh). Basically, it is saying we are all are children of Adam (pbuh) and one family, we shouldn't be fighting or harming each other.

As for soul read this discussion: http://forums.understanding-islam.co...549-Soul/page4

Hi Hyd ^^

thanks for explaining the context, it makes much sence now. It's alittle anoying cause they used the word "soul" in other places but in diffrent context so I had to find out the meanings without thinking of the concept of enternal souls that people use now days. The link is good. It'd be nice if they uses Ruh and Naf

Any idea what Al Anaam 93 means where angels strech there arms and say "out with your souls"? I'm guessing this is after the*resurrection since it's talking about being punished.

I really do need a Quran study teacher >_> *

Quote Originally Posted by Moonlight View Post
    Any idea what Al Anaam 93 means where angels strech there arms and say "out with your souls"? I'm guessing this is after the*resurrection since it's talking about being punished.

I really do need a Quran study teacher >_> *

It refers to the moment of death when disbelievers realize the reality of their deeds and how futile has been everything which they have been chasing in this world. The word here again is Nafs.

And who can be more unjust than he who invents a lie against Allah, or says: "I have received inspiration,'' whereas he is not inspired in anything; and who says, "I will reveal the like of what Allah has revealed.'' And if you could but see when the wrongdoers are in the agonies of death, while the angels are stretching forth their hands (saying): "Deliver your souls! This day you shall be recompensed with the torment of degradation because of what you used to utter against Allah other than the truth. And you used to reject His Ayat with disrespect!''

My limited understanding is that post-death we are transported into another realm, where we already start experiencing the rewards of Paradise and the punishment of Hell-fire, even before the day of resurrection. Per Tafsir ibn Kathir :

When the disbeliever is near death, the angels will convey the `good news' to him of torment, vengeance, chains, restraints, Hell, boiling water and the anger of the Most Beneficent, Most Merciful. The soul will then scatter in the body of the disbeliever and refuse to get out of it. The angels will keep beating the disbeliever until his soul exits from his body,﴿أَخْرِجُواْ أَنفُسَكُمُ الْيَوْمَ تُجْزَوْنَ عَذَابَ الْهُونِ بِمَا كُنتُمْ تَقُولُونَ عَلَى اللَّهِ غَيْرَ الْحَقِّ﴾
    ((Saying): "Deliver your souls! This day you shall be recompensed with the torment of degradation because of what you used to say about Allah other than the truth.'') This Ayah means, today, you will be utterly humiliated because you used to invent lies against Allah and arrogantly refused to follow His Ayat and obey His Mesengers. There are many Hadiths, of Mutawatir grade, that explain what occurs when the believers and disbelievers die..
    Nine things the Lord has commanded me: Fear of God in private and in public; Justness, whether in anger or in calmness; Moderation in both poverty and affluence; That I should join hands with those who break away from me; And give to those who deprive me; And forgive those who wrong me; And that my silence should be meditation; And my words remembrance of God; And my vision keen observation.- Prophet Muhammad (pbuh)

Assalam O Allikum
    "Every soul earneth only on its own account, no bearer of burdens can bear the burden of another. Your goal in the end is towards God: He will tell you the truth of things wherein ye disputed (differed)." 6:164

"On no soul does God place a burden greater than it can bear (in terms of material wealth or spiritual duty)." ---2:286; 23:62

"But those who believe and work righteousness, - no burden do We place on any soul, but that which it can bear." 7:42

"On the day when every soul will be confronted with all the good it has done, and all the evil it has done, it will wish there were a great distance between it and its evil." -3:30

"Every soul will be (held) in pledge for its deeds." 74:38

Wa alaykum assalam brothers/sisters,
    Your question show your desire to learn more about the Quran. You wish to learn about what soul means. I believe the soul is your spirit and hence, not your physical- but your spiritual body. You are unable to see it- either if its a believer's soul or a disbeliever's soul.

However, on the day of resurrection you will see it and it will become your physical body. The foremost (these people are the closest to Allah- closer than a normal believer is) and the believing soul will be bright, shiny, and beautiful- where as the disbelieving soul will be dark and disgustingly scary. Your soul will have its fashion, beauty and shape according to what you done in this dunya and the way you died.
    Last edited by Youssif Saadieh; 21st May 2013 at 09:57. Reason: wrong words

The soul is the self, the "I" that inhabits the body and acts through it. Without the soul, the body is like a light bulb without electricity, a computer without the software, a space suit with no astronaut inside. With the introduction of the soul, the body acquires life, sight and hearing, thought and speech, intelligence and emotions, will and desire, personality and identity.