Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
Results 61 to 71 of 71

Thread: What's your*opinion on Buddha?

  1. #61
    Veteran Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    2,281

    Default Re: What's your*opinion on Buddha?

    Quote Originally Posted by shaad_lko View Post
    No, I havent really given up on health. Health impact doesnt necessarily mean looking out for epidemics..
    I think your health argument is dead in the water.I expect you will expand health to mean "everything" now.
    Islam isnt for studying,its for living

  2. #62
    Moderator shaad_lko's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Wandering Dervish
    Posts
    2,656

    Default Re: What's your*opinion on Buddha?

    Quote Originally Posted by alan View Post
    I think your health argument is dead in the water.I expect you will expand health to mean "everything" now.
    au contraire, argument is well-alive fishing in cold waters.. Philosophically, though, health is a broad term which includes physical well-being, emotional wellness and spiritual contentment, so yeah you could say it does cover everything in a holistic sense.

    Have some non-alcoholic beer to chill out.. But jokes apart, what is your rationale - do you believe that Divine prohibitions are without any purpose (irrespective of whether we can decipher any part of that purposefulness in a purposive manner) ?
    Nine things the Lord has commanded me: Fear of God in private and in public; Justness, whether in anger or in calmness; Moderation in both poverty and affluence; That I should join hands with those who break away from me; And give to those who deprive me; And forgive those who wrong me; And that my silence should be meditation; And my words remembrance of God; And my vision keen observation.- Prophet Muhammad (pbuh)

  3. #63
    Veteran Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    2,281

    Default Re: What's your*opinion on Buddha?

    Quote Originally Posted by shaad_lko View Post
    au contraire, argument is well-alive fishing in cold waters.. Philosophically, though, health is a broad term which includes physical well-being, emotional wellness and spiritual contentment, so yeah you could say it does cover everything in a holistic sense.

    Have some non-alcoholic beer to chill out.. But jokes apart, what is your rationale - do you believe that Divine prohibitions are without any purpose (irrespective of whether we can decipher any part of that purposefulness in a purposive manner) ?
    On the Pork issue,I have no idea,I have been vegetarian all my life so is not an issue for me.
    I tend towards there being a reason of wellbeing and holistic health at the bottom of the prohibitions,this would logically lead one to see no reason not to eat Pork produced by our high standard food/farming system.
    Islam isnt for studying,its for living

  4. #64
    Veteran Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    England
    Posts
    4,922

    Default Re: What's your*opinion on Buddha?

    Quote Originally Posted by alan View Post
    As for disbelievers, their deeds are like mirage in a desert. The thirsty thinking, that it is water until when he comes near it he found nothing. In fact, he found God there. Then he took his account and swift is God in taking account. 24:39

    Any act of disbelief,by anyone,muslim or athiest is like a mirage in the desert,a beautiful way of looking at the illusion Buddha pointed to.
    I can have my interpretation to things or the one which is universally accepted. In my opinion deliberate denial of God and shirk will undo all good deeds in this world and that person will be subjected to Hell. We agree to disagree.

  5. #65
    Veteran Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    2,281

    Default Re: What's your*opinion on Buddha?

    Quote Originally Posted by DocW View Post
    I can have my interpretation to things or the one which is universally accepted. In my opinion deliberate denial of God and shirk will undo all good deeds in this world and that person will be subjected to Hell. We agree to disagree.
    Clearly God "Takes account".
    Islam isnt for studying,its for living

  6. #66
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    195

    Default Re: What's your*opinion on Buddha?

    To belive in God one needs to*exspirance God otherwise it's just*belief's that is based on personal emotions and *opinions. If one is to deny God*deliberately without haven the*cognition of God in the first place, it's not his fault. The reason why there's so many Agnostics is because they have that knowingness that there's a God but they don't know which God so they are like waiting for that God to show up so they can have the*cognition and the exspirance.

    Buddha was only after one thing which was "why do we suffer?, what is the cause of suffering?" after his enlightenment he had the direct*cognition and*exspirance to his answer.

    For me I guess I am one of those Agnostic's. I have that knowingness that there's something out there and I can't deny that strong feeling so I guess the verses about deliberately denying God is for people who deny there*instinctive knowingness of a higher being. I have a friend (I also*exspiranced this feeling) and she said that she is gona be an athiest but at the same time she suddenly felt empty and she didn't like that so she's now an Agnostic and seeking. ***

    People who deny God ither don't have the knowingness or they simply denying themselves.

    I'm thinking of joining Islam but with a mixed of Buddhist. So I'd be like a non-dualist Muslim. Sounds cool plus peaceful since I'll be following a path of non-duality and God at the same time. Non of that*intellectual stuff that turns into fights and arguments. There's no peace in mind and your be forever having*intellectual fights with people who oppose your beliefs and you fight back and it will never end.
    It's about you and God alone ^^ *
    *******
    *

  7. #67
    Moderator shaad_lko's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Wandering Dervish
    Posts
    2,656

    Default Re: What's your*opinion on Buddha?

    Quote Originally Posted by Moonlight View Post
    To belive in God one needs to*exspirance God otherwise it's just*belief's that is based on personal emotions and *opinions. If one is to deny God*deliberately without haven the*cognition of God in the first place, it's not his fault. The reason why there's so many Agnostics is because they have that knowingness that there's a God but they don't know which God so they are like waiting for that God to show up so they can have the*cognition and the exspirance.
    that's a fair point, and incidentally the Islamic declaration of belief - the Shahada - comprises the words :

    "I bear witness that there is no god but Allah and I bear witness that Muhammad is the Messenger and slave of Allah"

    Notice how one has to bear witness which is as if one has actually seen the fact that there is no god - Faith in Islam requires certitude of the highest possible level, which is the opposite of all forms of skepticism. The Shahada is not a mere declaration of belief, but it is an act of solemn affirmation of the highest truth and a pledge to live with that acceptance of reality. There is no conjecture and probability in this kind of belief, it is a transformational statement taht can change ordinary mortals into slaves of the One - thus Islam came to release humanity from all other bondages save the real liberty in the worship of the One, the Incomparable.
    Nine things the Lord has commanded me: Fear of God in private and in public; Justness, whether in anger or in calmness; Moderation in both poverty and affluence; That I should join hands with those who break away from me; And give to those who deprive me; And forgive those who wrong me; And that my silence should be meditation; And my words remembrance of God; And my vision keen observation.- Prophet Muhammad (pbuh)

  8. #68
    Veteran Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    2,281

    Default Re: What's your*opinion on Buddha?

    Quote Originally Posted by Moonlight View Post
    To belive in God one needs to*exspirance God otherwise it's just*belief's that is based on personal emotions and *opinions. If one is to deny God*deliberately without haven the*cognition of God in the first place, it's not his fault. The reason why there's so many Agnostics is because they have that knowingness that there's a God but they don't know which God so they are like waiting for that God to show up so they can have the*cognition and the exspirance.


    Buddha was only after one thing which was "why do we suffer?, what is the cause of suffering?" after his enlightenment he had the direct*cognition and*exspirance to his answer.

    For me I guess I am one of those Agnostic's. I have that knowingness that there's something out there and I can't deny that strong feeling so I guess the verses about deliberately denying God is for people who deny there*instinctive knowingness of a higher being. I have a friend (I also*exspiranced this feeling) and she said that she is gona be an athiest but at the same time she suddenly felt empty and she didn't like that so she's now an Agnostic and seeking. ***

    People who deny God ither don't have the knowingness or they simply denying themselves.

    I'm thinking of joining Islam but with a mixed of Buddhist. So I'd be like a non-dualist Muslim. Sounds cool plus peaceful since I'll be following a path of non-duality and God at the same time. Non of that*intellectual stuff that turns into fights and arguments. There's no peace in mind and your be forever having*intellectual fights with people who oppose your beliefs and you fight back and it will never end.
    It's about you and God alone ^^ *
    *******
    *
    Excellent post,go with your feeling,your experience.
    Islam isnt for studying,its for living

  9. #69
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    346

    Default Re: What's your*opinion on Buddha?

    I believe Gautama Buddha was a prophet of Allah, as was Krishna.

    My logic is that Allah says that all people were sent prophets/messengers. That means the Indians were sent prophets, as were the Chinese. Looking at the semitic Prophets we know about, we can see patterns. One of the characteristics is that Prophets of God are revered by followers and they are not forgotten. Their message does get corrupted over time - notably in the case of Jesus, being elevated to a god, part of Trinity etc.

    So, by my logic, if we are to identify the prophets sent to other nations we should look to the founders of religions and then do a double check to see what they actually taught.. When we look at Buddhism we see that what modern day Buddhists teach about God and His non-existence etc isn't necessarily what Gautama Buddha taught (ditto with Krishna).

    Regardless, given that the Buddhists and Hindus revere these personages - in pretty much the same way Christians revere Jesus' memory - I am of the opinion that Buddha, Krishna (and probably Lao Tse) are Prophets of God sent to their respective nations with messages that were both geographically and temporally bound (the message was for the people they walked amongst and not eternal or universal).

    Cheers,
    Shafique

  10. #70
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    195

    Default Re: What's your*opinion on Buddha?

    I totally agree! Every spiritual people and Gnostics can see that every religion are all connected. The Religious Principles and message are the same.

    The name Krishna means "all attrative" which God is all attrative and I think Arjuna was a prophet of God.

    I also believe Lao Tzu was also a prophet who was preaching Islam. He called God "Tao" which is "the way" which God is the way lol plus you can see his teachings in Matthew 6.

    I truly believe Jesus taught Hinduism,buddistim and Taoism. When a Hindu reads the new testament, he can see Hindu teachings. Same with other great religions when they read the gospels. Even dr Zakir Naik relized this which is why he goes round the world to show everyone that there is only 1 religion and showing them how all scriptures are giving out the same message. Of cause the scriptures get corrupted over the Years but the core teaching is still there and it's Principles.

    Now this is where I don't understand why the abrahamic religions reject yoga and meditation cause theses choosen people taught theses things to help our minds and health, spiritually and phyically. I can understand that when you say yoga you would think of becomming one with God but what if that wasn't origanally taught? We know that it helps with back pains and helps with high blood pressure ect. Same with meditation, you would think that "demons" would take over or something spooky will happen. But meditation has proven to reduce stress and you become one with yourself (in a spiritual sence) it also helps you to learn about yourself and your ego that you may need to fix. I love anything spiritual but I don't jump on the wagon and say "that is pagan I will not do it."
    Evil Beware, We Have Waffles...

  11. #71

    Default Re: What's your*opinion on Buddha?

    The Buddhists hold that one should realize that the whole world is full of sorrow and pain, it is a vale of tears. With this belief one should exert himself so as to be freed from (the troubles of) this world. This constitutes the highest form of salvation according to the Charvakas. The Buddhists also believe in the Inferential mode of reasoning and deny the existence of the soul.

Similar Threads

  1. Your opinion of his opinion
    By Algebra in forum General Conversations
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 17th March 2010, 14:47
  2. Your Opinion please.
    By Aliayah in forum General Conversations
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 3rd October 2006, 20:47
  3. freedom of opinion
    By MF in forum Interfaith Dialogue
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 18th December 2005, 19:55
  4. What would your opinion of a man be?
    By erizito in forum Islamic Discussions
    Replies: 56
    Last Post: 1st October 2005, 21:23
  5. Divine Spark, Holy Spirit, Buddha-nature
    By Vajradhara in forum Discussion Archives
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 14th May 2003, 00:41

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •