Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: What's your*opinion on Buddha?

Default Re: What's your*opinion on Buddha?

Quote Originally Posted by shaad_lko View Post
    isnt this contradictory - If God is good, then how is goodness not from Him ?

incidentally, this story (of knowledge of good and evil) has no basis in the Quranic narrative of the same events. Knowledge of good and evil was embedded in human nature ab initio.. Tree, as per Ghamidi, is symbolic of the reproductive act, which caused the generations to multiply and populate the earth.

I view the garden story as a symbolic myth of how we follow our ego desires and moved away from God.

God is both good and bad. We say he is bad when we read the horrors he caused in the old testement but he is also good and takes care of us aswell.*
    But our view of good and evil isn't the same as God's view. What we think is good could be bad in God's eyes. Like pork for sample, God says it's unclean but we eat it cause it's good for us and It has protein, which the body needs, just like any other meat.

If goodness is from God then so is bad because you can't have the ying without the yang so it's logical to say that non of our deeds are from God but we do have the*knowledge of good and evil. Hence "you will be like gods knowing good and evil"**

Veteran Member

The deeds of people who disbelieved the Almighty are like ashes which are subjected to severe wind on a stormy day, they shall gain nothing from what they do. This is straying far in error. 14;18

As for disbelievers, their deeds are like mirage in a desert. The thirsty thinking, that it is water until when he comes near it he found nothing. In fact, he found God there. Then he took his account and swift is God in taking account. 24:39

Those who deliberately deny God, as I understand their good deeds will have no value on the day of judgement.

Veteran Member

Quote Originally Posted by DocW View Post
    The deeds of people who disbelieved the Almighty are like ashes which are subjected to severe wind on a stormy day, they shall gain nothing from what they do. This is straying far in error. 14;18

As for disbelievers, their deeds are like mirage in a desert. The thirsty thinking, that it is water until when he comes near it he found nothing. In fact, he found God there. Then he took his account and swift is God in taking account. 24:39

Those who deliberately deny God, as I understand their good deeds will have no value on the day of judgement.
    This says nothing of Good deeds,you are mistaken.
    (What does the red writing signify?)
    Islam isnt for studying,its for living

Veteran Member

If it is suggested that any human the is defined as an unbeliever,their good deeds are worthless,that is dehumanising them and making them worthless,making thm a pointless creation.To suggest this is an arrogant mistake.This view has led to the justification of atrocities.

Quote Originally Posted by Moonlight View Post
    I view the garden story as a symbolic myth of how we follow our ego desires and moved away from God.

God is both good and bad. We say he is bad when we read the horrors he caused in the old testement but he is also good and takes care of us aswell.*
    But our view of good and evil isn't the same as God's view. What we think is good could be bad in God's eyes. Like pork for sample, God says it's unclean but we eat it cause it's good for us and It has protein, which the body needs, just like any other meat.

If goodness is from God then so is bad because you can't have the ying without the yang so it's logical to say that non of our deeds are from God but we do have the*knowledge of good and evil. Hence "you will be like gods knowing good and evil"**
    Well, in Islam, there is no fallen man because Adam and Eve repented and their repentance was accepted by God. Furthermore, some commentators even opine that the garden referred to was here itself on earth. As regards the horrors in the OT, well the OT itself needs to be subject to a critical study in order to determine what is accurate and what is not. Also, God's punishments are based on the well-defined law of justice - you get what you sow ultimately.

Also, by good and bad, I mean ethical actions - not eating substances like pork (though i'm surprised you argue that its a bodily need - since it also contains the maximum potential for worm diseases).

If our deeds were entirely issuing forth from God, then there would be no cause for reward for good either, it would be better to say that they occur with the permission of God, but man remains responsible for what he does.
    Nine things the Lord has commanded me: Fear of God in private and in public; Justness, whether in anger or in calmness; Moderation in both poverty and affluence; That I should join hands with those who break away from me; And give to those who deprive me; And forgive those who wrong me; And that my silence should be meditation; And my words remembrance of God; And my vision keen observation.- Prophet Muhammad (pbuh)

Veteran Member

Well, in Islam, there is no fallen man because Adam and Eve repented and their repentance was accepted by God. Furthermore, some commentators even opine that the garden referred to was here itself on earth. As regards the horrors in the OT, well the OT itself needs to be subject to a critical study in order to determine what is accurate and what is not. Also, God's punishments are based on the well-defined law of justice - you get what you sow ultimately.

Also, by good and bad, I mean ethical actions - not eating substances like pork (though i'm surprised you argue that its a bodily need - since it also contains the maximum potential for worm diseases).

If our deeds were entirely issuing forth from God, then there would be no cause for reward for good either, it would be better to say that they occur with the permission of God, but man remains responsible for what he does.
    Man is responsible for his choices.
    Good,which comes from God alone,is the reward.
    This emphasis on worms in Pork is rediculous today as millions eat it with no prob.This also suggests you might think there was a health reason for the prohibition in the 1st place which may be true.

Quote Originally Posted by alan View Post
    Man is responsible for his choices.
    Good,which comes from God alone,is the reward.
    This emphasis on worms in Pork is rediculous today as millions eat it with no prob.This also suggests you might think there was a health reason for the prohibition in the 1st place which may be true.
    millions eating it doesnt negate that its a very unhealthy diet to be on.. anyhow my comment was in response to moonlight's statement that eating pork is good for us. Btw, ironically the Buddha last meal was pork..
    Nine things the Lord has commanded me: Fear of God in private and in public; Justness, whether in anger or in calmness; Moderation in both poverty and affluence; That I should join hands with those who break away from me; And give to those who deprive me; And forgive those who wrong me; And that my silence should be meditation; And my words remembrance of God; And my vision keen observation.- Prophet Muhammad (pbuh)

Veteran Member

millions eating it doesnt negate that its a very unhealthy diet to be on.. anyhow my comment was in response to moonlight's statement that eating pork is good for us. Btw, ironically the Buddha last meal was pork..
    I agree that the numbers of people eating something isnt a reflection on its dietry qualities,but I didnt suggest this,I was refering to worms that you keep bringing up.So whats your evidence that Pork is so unhealthy in comparison to beef,chicken etc?

Also Buddha eating pork is only one suggestion as to the the cause of his death,too convienient for this discussion I think.

Quote Originally Posted by alan View Post
    I agree that the numbers of people eating something isnt a reflection on its dietry qualities,but I didnt suggest this,I was refering to worms that you keep bringing up.So whats your evidence that Pork is so unhealthy in comparison to beef,chicken etc?
    When did I bring up worms prior to this ? Pork is more unhealthy than chicken or beef - its the only one that could potentially cause tapeworms, trichinosis and what not, though I admit that deep cooking may kill most of those germs..

Maby the pork analogy was a bad sample to use lol
    I was trying to explain on how what we think is good is infact bad in God's eyes. Ither food or what we think is good because we were raised to think it's good. I find it all comfusing and weird.

Since the topic is about Buddha.
    I have relized alot of*similaritys in both new testement and Quran on Jesus that has that has the same story as Buddha it makes me think that they are talking about Buddha. The Quran has Mary giving birth while holding a palm-tree and later on baby Jesus spoke to her, this is the same with Buddha's birth although after the birth he walked and then spoke. The new testement has a mix of pagan storys but the one that sticks out is Buddha's teachings. It has that Jewish buddha style to it.

It's like Jesus never exsited and there's lots of evidence to support this but because the Quran is "high-tec" (don't know how to put it lol) I don't know where to put this Jesus guy and see him as an actual person. **

Quote Originally Posted by Moonlight View Post
    Maby the pork analogy was a bad sample to use lol
    I was trying to explain on how what we think is good is infact bad in God's eyes. Ither food or what we think is good because we were raised to think it's good. I find it all comfusing and weird.

Since the topic is about Buddha.
    I have relized alot of*similaritys in both new testement and Quran on Jesus that has that has the same story as Buddha it makes me think that they are talking about Buddha. The Quran has Mary giving birth while holding a palm-tree and later on baby Jesus spoke to her, this is the same with Buddha's birth although after the birth he walked and then spoke. The new testement has a mix of pagan storys but the one that sticks out is Buddha's teachings. It has that Jewish buddha style to it.

It's like Jesus never exsited and there's lots of evidence to support this but because the Quran is "high-tec" (don't know how to put it lol) I don't know where to put this Jesus guy and see him as an actual person. **

Can you trust the biographies of Buddha considering they were written hundreds of years after his death?

Also if the oral traditions of Buddha were not put into writting until the 1st century which came first Christianity or Buddhism?

Buddhism is not about believing in a Creator.

Veteran Member

When did I bring up worms prior to this ? Pork is more unhealthy than chicken or beef - its the only one that could potentially cause tapeworms, trichinosis and what not, though I admit that deep cooking may kill most of those germs..
    This is hardly evidence.

(and there you go on about worms again!)LOL

[QUOTE=patrick;176921]Can you trust the biographies of Buddha considering they were written hundreds of years after his death?

Also if the oral traditions of Buddha were not put into writting until the 1st century which came first Christianity or Buddhism?

It's hard to say because Buddhism has already been around for so long that other cultures have adapted his teachings and he has changed so many lifes even that bad warlord guy which I forgot his name. They also had*missionaries preaching around*3rd century BCE. So i can't really say who came first. All I know is that both Jesus and Buddha have changed so many lifes for*thousand's of years.

In away there creator is Dharma just as Taoist has Tao. There focus is more on good deeds and disapline the mind and not to follow lustful desires. I think there the most importent issues that needs to be learned other then how the earth was made ect.

Veteran Member

[QUOTE=Moonlight;176923]
    Quote Originally Posted by patrick View Post
    Can you trust the biographies of Buddha considering they were written hundreds of years after his death?

It's hard to say because Buddhism has already been around for so long that other cultures have adapted his teachings and he has changed so many lifes even that bad warlord guy which I forgot his name. They also had*missionaries preaching around*3rd century BCE. So i can't really say who came first. All I know is that both Jesus and Buddha have changed so many lifes for*thousand's of years.

In away there creator is Dharma just as Taoist has Tao. There focus is more on good deeds and disapline the mind and not to follow lustful desires. I think there the most importent issues that needs to be learned other then how the earth was made ect.
    Excellent understanding!

Veteran Member

[QUOTE=alan;176888]This says nothing of Good deeds,you are mistaken.
    (What does the red writing signify?)[/QUOTE

I have used the words deliberate denial of God.

God will not forgive those who ( deliberately) set up partners with Him. 4:48. So those who delibertaely indulge in shirk, what do you think will be the value of their good deeds on the day of judgement?