Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: What's your*opinion on Buddha?

Default What's your*opinion on Buddha?

I'm intrested in your views on Buddha and his teachings. In his time he was a saviour for mankind and knew the cause of suffering which is thought and desires from thought. He teaches that the thoughts is Mara who trys to tempt us to do bad things which makes us suffer.

"Self is the beginning of all hatred,*
    of iniquity and slander, of impudence and indecency,*
    of theft and robbery, of oppression and bloodshed.*
    Self is Mara, the tempter, the evildoer, the creator of mischief.*

Self entices with pleasures. Self promises a fairy's paradise.
    Self is the veil of Maya, the enchanter.*
    But the pleasures of self are unreal,*
    its paradisian labyrinth is the road to misery,*
    and its fading beauty kindles the flames of desires*
    that never can be satisfied."

Mara is very simular to Satan in the Quran where he tells Allah that he will*
    tempt and make false hopes to the humans. (*An Nisa 4: 119 -*120 )

I'd be intrested to hear what you guys think ^^ * *

Veteran Member

Default Re: What's your*opinion on Buddha?

Islam in a nut shell states that their is one God who is the Creator, we will be held acountable one day in front of Him and our fate will be decided on our deeds. I would be interested to know what Buddha's views were on on the Creation of this universe and what happens to us after we die.

Veteran Member

What I am trying to say is that religion should not only encourage us to do good deeds but also provide an explanation why and furthermore give an explanation for the creation of this universe and purpose.

Veteran Member

non religious people -atheist also believe in encouraging and doing good deeds. But the incentive and rationale for doing them differs from people of Islamic faith.

Veteran Member

Quote Originally Posted by DocW View Post
    What I am trying to say is that religion should not only encourage us to do good deeds but also provide an explanation why and furthermore give an explanation for the creation of this universe and purpose.
    Can you give us an explanation how we will come before "Him",who is "He",what is "He",does "He" have human characteristics.
    What is the purpose?
    Islam isnt for studying,its for living

Veteran Member

non religious people -atheist also believe in encouraging and doing good deeds. But the incentive and rationale for doing them differs from people of Islamic faith.
    So all goodness doesnt come from God?

@ Alan
    In the bible of genisis it says that man must not eat from the "tree of*knowledge of good and evil" so that alone tells us that our good deeds doesn't come from God cause we arnt even pose to know what good or bad is. Ever since that fruit was eaten we became dualist and know both good and evil. That's maby why Jesus said "why call me good? No one is good but He who is in heaven"

@ docw
    I don't think creation was his concern since everything he taught was Psychology of the mind. Maby in later scriptures some monks might of wrote something but I'm only after buddha's teachings and morals. But since he was raised in a Hindu family he may belive that everything is energy and stuff but I can't say for sure cause I'm not a buddist.

As for the*eternal accountability thing, we die in our own sins and go into hell till we are clean of desires of lust then we incarnate back on earth till one day we become enlightend and free ourselves and stop the Karma wheel.

There's an intresting theroy on how the Buddha reached enlightenment too, he was under a tree when he got his and the Gnostics belive that the tree is symbolic for the tree of life and if we read*Proverbs in the bible we can see that "Wisdom" is a tree of life to those who find her. I find it very intresting.*

*It's very hard to deny the Quran since the science and prophecys are true so I'm not trying to have a debate. Islam is the only religion that make sence. * **

Veteran Member

I don't have opinion on Buddha.

Veteran Member

Quote Originally Posted by Moonlight View Post
    @ Alan
    In the bible of genisis it says that man must not eat from the "tree of*knowledge of good and evil" so that alone tells us that our good deeds doesn't come from God cause we arnt even pose to know what good or bad is. Ever since that fruit was eaten we became dualist and know both good and evil. That's maby why Jesus said "why call me good? No one is good but He who is in heaven"
    Thats just what I said...

Quote Originally Posted by alan View Post
    Thats just what I said...
    Did you o_O where?*
    I only saw you asking a question "So all goodness doesnt come from God?"

Veteran Member

Did you o_O where?*
    I only saw you asking a question "So all goodness doesnt come from God?"
    I assumed one could see the implication?no?

Yes as Jesus said,all goodnes comes from God,so our goodness is not goodness but a choice to be in accord with Gods goodness,Buddha understood this,to be in accord with the "way" as Toaist may put it.all the same as Islam-submission to God.

@ Alan
    isnt this contradictory - If God is good, then how is goodness not from Him ?

incidentally, this story (of knowledge of good and evil) has no basis in the Quranic narrative of the same events. Knowledge of good and evil was embedded in human nature ab initio.. Tree, as per Ghamidi, is symbolic of the reproductive act, which caused the generations to multiply and populate the earth.
    Nine things the Lord has commanded me: Fear of God in private and in public; Justness, whether in anger or in calmness; Moderation in both poverty and affluence; That I should join hands with those who break away from me; And give to those who deprive me; And forgive those who wrong me; And that my silence should be meditation; And my words remembrance of God; And my vision keen observation.- Prophet Muhammad (pbuh)

also, wrt the OP, imho Buddha was a wise sage and a meditative personality who greatly impacted diverse kinds of people, spread across time and location. Although Quran does not specifically say that he was not a Prophet, yet if I had to take a wager I would say no, he was not a Prophet in the sense in which we know the appearance of Prophets in the Semitic tradition. This is primarily due to the fact that he was an agnostic wrt existence of God.
    Nine things the Lord has commanded me: Fear of God in private and in public; Justness, whether in anger or in calmness; Moderation in both poverty and affluence; That I should join hands with those who break away from me; And give to those who deprive me; And forgive those who wrong me; And that my silence should be meditation; And my words remembrance of God; And my vision keen observation.- Prophet Muhammad (pbuh)

Veteran Member

bro Alan

People without faith in God also do good deeds. However as I understand good deeds and righteous deeds or amal i saleh are not synonymous. In other words would the good deeds of someone who deliberately denies God have any value on the day of Judgement?

Veteran Member

bro Alan

People without faith in God also do good deeds. However as I understand good deeds and righteous deeds or amal i saleh are not synonymous. In other words would the good deeds of someone who deliberately denies God have any value on the day of Judgement?
    I would say yes.