Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ayat 44 Of Surat Ma'eda Considered.

Default Ayat 44 Of Surat Ma'eda Considered.

Assalam alaikum,

In verse 44 of Surat Ma'eda of the Holy Qur'an (5:44), Allah Subhanahu Wa Ta'ala says:---

''WE SENT DOWN THE TORAH, WHEREIN IS LIGHT AND GUIDANCE; THEREBY THE PROPHETS,
    THOSE WHO ARE MUSLIMS, JUDGE FOR THOSE WHO ARE JEWS''.

The Shari'a of Prophet Muhammad, may Allah bless him and grant him peace, has established the Shari'a of preceding generations. His Law is its root, as he was sent ''to all people'' (34:28), while this belonged to no other Prophet. ''People'' extend from Adam to the last human being, and among them there have been Laws, so they are the Laws of Muhammad in the hands of his Deputies. For he is sent ''to all people'', so all the Messengers are his deputies, without doubt, Sallallahu alaihi Wasallam.
    Thus when he came, he came with something great that comprised everything which was scattered among his deputies and something in addition. Hence God gave him the Mother Of The Book, which comprised all the scriptures and books.

Default Re: Ayat 44 Of Surat Ma'eda Considered.

Quote Originally Posted by Abu Fauzi View Post
    Assalam alaikum,

In verse 44 of Surat Ma'eda of the Holy Qur'an (5:44), Allah Subhanahu Wa Ta'ala says:---

''WE SENT DOWN THE TORAH, WHEREIN IS LIGHT AND GUIDANCE; THEREBY THE PROPHETS,
    THOSE WHO ARE MUSLIMS, JUDGE FOR THOSE WHO ARE JEWS''.

The Shari'a of Prophet Muhammad, may Allah bless him and grant him peace, has established the Shari'a of preceding generations. His Law is its root, as he was sent ''to all people'' (34:28), while this belonged to no other Prophet. ''People'' extend from Adam to the last human being, and among them there have been Laws, so they are the Laws of Muhammad in the hands of his Deputies. For he is sent ''to all people'', so all the Messengers are his deputies, without doubt, Sallallahu alaihi Wasallam.
    Thus when he came, he came with something great that comprised everything which was scattered among his deputies and something in addition. Hence God gave him the Mother Of The Book, which comprised all the scriptures and books.
    waleykumussalam,
    No Prophet is a deputy of any other Prophet - all are to be equally honoured and considered by Muslims. Quran is absolutely clear on this point:

The Messenger believes in what has been sent down to him from his Lord, and [so do] believers. They all believe in God and His angels, His scriptures, and His messengers. They say, "We do not differentiate between any of His messengers. We hear and obey. Grant us Your forgiveness, Lord, to You we shall all return!" (2:285)

Nine things the Lord has commanded me: Fear of God in private and in public; Justness, whether in anger or in calmness; Moderation in both poverty and affluence; That I should join hands with those who break away from me; And give to those who deprive me; And forgive those who wrong me; And that my silence should be meditation; And my words remembrance of God; And my vision keen observation.- Prophet Muhammad (pbuh)

Administrator

That's a point missed by a lot of Muslims, maybe most. There is a Hadith that the Prophet (pbuh) sanctioned who tried to elevate one prophet over the other. This may be symptomatic of a people that due to inferiority complexes use superiority tactics to validate themselves or beliefs. This isn't a contest or a pageant, God's prophets are for guidance.

Really good topic to discuss and remind the forgotten verse.Jajak Allah

Assalam alaikum,
    Kindly permit me to respond on the comment above by Moderator, Shaad Iko and Administrator Ron on my topic..about Ayat 44 of Surat Ma'eda, in which I said that Messengers of Allah Subhanahu Wa Ta'ala, may Allah bless them and grant them peace all, came as Deputies to the Last one of them--ie Prophet Muhammad, Sallallahu alaihi Wasallam. I still maintain that position...and will do so for ever.
    With respect to the verse qouted by Shaad Iko..verse 285 of Surat Baqarat..Yes, indeed I, like all Believers, do not make any distinction between one and another of God's Apostles/Messengers, peace be upon them. We honor them all equally, but we also know that God Almighty in His Wisdom, sent them with different missions and gave them different kinds of degrees and ranks... Let me cite some examples:--

1. Prophet Muhammad, Sallallahu alaihi Wasallam, said:- ''I Have had a time with Allah in which no Prophet and no angel can contain me except Allah''.
    Thus, the Prophet Muhammad, Sallallahu alaihi Wasallam, exceeded all other prophets and angels, because he alone realized the ultimate state of Tawheed.
    Please refer to the abundantly available Literature on Isra'e and Mi'eraj for further elucidation on this point.
    2. Abu Hurairah, may Allah be pleased with him, reported that the Messenger of Allah, Sallallahu alaihi Wasallama, said:- '' I shall be the leader of the children of
    Adam on the Resurrection Day, and the first of those who will come out of the graves and the first of those whose intercession will be accepted''. [Muslim]
    3. And Sayyid Anas, may Allah be pleased with him, reported that the Messenger of Allah, Sallallahu alaihi Wasallam, as having said: '' I shall be foremost of the
    Prophets in respect of followers on the Resurrection Day, and I shall be the first of those who will knock at the door of Paradise''. [Muslim]
    4. Find time to go through what comes to us on the First Creation, in which I think one will come to see/appreciate just who is Muhammad, the Messenger of
    Allah, Sallallahu alaihi Wasallam, whom many today do not recognize.

still, all this does not establish deputy-ship of some Prophets to others. Neither does this statement of yours have any known precedent in Islamic theology, one should be careful with words.

4. Find time to go through what comes to us on the First Creation, in which I think one will come to see/appreciate just who is Muhammad, the Messenger of
    Allah, Sallallahu alaihi Wasallam, whom many today do not recognize.
    I could not understand this, can you elaborate (if its of any use) ?
    Nine things the Lord has commanded me: Fear of God in private and in public; Justness, whether in anger or in calmness; Moderation in both poverty and affluence; That I should join hands with those who break away from me; And give to those who deprive me; And forgive those who wrong me; And that my silence should be meditation; And my words remembrance of God; And my vision keen observation.- Prophet Muhammad (pbuh)

Administrator

Interestingly enough, not one verse from the Qur'an on the matter.

The word "Nofaruq" means we do not reject some messengers while believing in others. It does not mean distinction in ranks, since Allaah ta'ala himself said:

"Those Messenger! We excelled some to others..." Allaah ta'ala used the word "Fadhlana" which means excel or surpass or prefer.

Quote Originally Posted by Just a Muslim View Post
    The word "Nofaruq" means we do not reject some messengers while believing in others. It does not mean distinction in ranks, since Allaah ta'ala himself said:

"Those Messenger! We excelled some to others..." Allaah ta'ala used the word "Fadhlana" which means excel or surpass or prefer.
    did Allah ta'ala inform you personally of whom he excelled over whom and in which sphere ? First one is the statement by a believer and the second one is from God.

Further, "some messengers excelled over others" is also relative in that some were granted certain miracles and benefits while other Prophets were granted other exclusive favours. It may or may not refer to complete excellence of one Prophet over another. And Allah knows best..

Quote Originally Posted by Just a Muslim View Post

The 'excellence' being referred to here is elaborated in the very next set of verses.

Of them are those to whom Allah has spoken, while some of them He has exalted in rank. And We gave 'Isa, son of Mar-yam, clear proofs, and We strengthened him with the Holy Spirit. And if Allah had willed, those after them would not have fought with each other after the clear proofs had come to them, but they disagreed; so out of them some believed and out of them some rejected. And if Allah had willed, they would not have fought with one another; but Allah does what He desires.
    The superiority referred to here is relative superiority, not absolute superiority. In fact, God mentions relative superiority that Moses and Jesus had to Muhammad in a limited sense, for God himself spoke to Moses directly. Jesus, through the help of Gabriel, performed miracles, among them raising the dead to life.

As Javed Ghamidi points out:

The implication is that in whichever prophet or messenger people professed faith, they would give him absolute reverence over other prophets. Thus acknowledging some pre-eminence for any prophet was regarded as contrary to faith; so much so, they started to deny other prophets of God. The Israelites behaved no differently. They thought that if they accepted Muhammad (sws) as a prophet, they would have to accept him to be the source of the final guidance of God; this would be tantamount to accepting his superiority to their own prophets.
    "Those who deny the strength of truth,
    God does not give them courage." - Bulleh Shah

Veteran Member

Quote Originally Posted by ihsan View Post
    In fact, God mentions relative superiority that Moses and Jesus had to Muhammad in a limited sense, for God himself spoke to Moses directly.
    It is not giving any names for superiority that would be the whole purpose, but it just says some have higher ranks than other and it is probability related to responsibility. Another thing, God spoke directly to Mohammad too in the night of Miraj.

Quote Originally Posted by hyd View Post
    It is not giving any names for superiority that would be the whole purpose, but it just says some have higher ranks than other and it is probability related to responsibility. Another thing, God spoke directly to Mohammad too in the night of Miraj.
    1. I believe we agree, though it is implicit that the Prophets being referred to here are Moses and Jesus.
    2. I don't believe it can be established that God spoke to the Prophet (S) directly, at least as far as the Quran is concerned. It could be though, since the miraj preceded the hijrah and was primarily meant for this purpose, just as Moses' ascent to Sinai and to Tuwa, ushered in the Israelite hijrah.
    "Those who deny the strength of truth,
    God does not give them courage." - Bulleh Shah

Veteran Member

Quote Originally Posted by ihsan View Post
    1. I believe we agree, though it is implicit that the Prophets being referred to here are Moses and Jesus.
    2. I don't believe it can be established that God spoke to the Prophet (S) directly, at least as far as the Quran is concerned. It could be though, since the miraj preceded the hijrah and was primarily meant for this purpose, just as Moses' ascent to Sinai and to Tuwa, ushered in the Israelite hijrah.
    Yea I prefer to stay objective to the text of Quran, both in 1 & 2 specifics are not established, but the tone in verse for point 1 is general so I doubt it is referring to any one or two particular prophets. What is the background of that verse, to whom that verse was answering to?

Second, I don't remember exact verse related to miraj so I don't know. But if it doesn't then I prefer not go into the implicit because that kind of approach has created lot of problems.

Veteran Member

Once a Companion addressed him as: يَا خَيْرُ البَرِيَّة (O the best of mankind!). At this, he replied: “Such is Abraham. (Muslim, No: 2369)

Once, someone asked him: “Who is the most honourable of men?” He replied: “Joseph, the prophet, who is son of a prophet who is the son of another prophet who is the son of Abraham.”( Bukhārī, No: 3383)

Once when a Muslim mentioned in his oath the superiority of Muhammad (sws) over the rest of the world, a Jew responded: “I swear by the Being who blessed superiority to Moses over the rest of the world.” When the Muslim heard these words, he got infuriated and slapped the Jew. When the Jew complained to the Prophet (sws), the latter said: “Do not regard Moses to be inferior to me. At the Day of Judgement, when I will come out of the state of unconsciousness, he will be holding one corner of the throne. He would perhaps not be unconscious or would come to senses before me.”(Bukhārī, No: 3408)

Veteran Member

Then We revealed to you to follow the ways of Abraham, who was true in faith and was not among the polytheists. (16:123)

If prophet Muhammad pbuh has superiority on other prophets then what is the status of Abraham pbuh? Why is prophet pbuh being told to follow the ways of Abraham pbuh