Thread: Naat

Sesame Street resident

Default Naat

Hi everybody!

I don't understand naat. Like, why do they exist? As far as I can tell, it's just praising the Prophet (pbuh), right? So why do people treat them as such a big deal? (I'm referring specifically to when someone recited a naat at my sister's wedding and everybody hushed up like it was holy or something. Why? [Not that you guys know how my family works, haha. ])

I also don't get why people are writing poems about Muhammad (pbuh) instead of reading the Qur'an. Why doesn't that count as idle talk? Is there some point to the whole thing? Doesn't it count as, like, elevating his status or semi-deifying him or something?

Sorry if this has been discussed before. I tried searching for it, but ya know, didn't come up with anything.

Thanks in advance!!! Cheers,

-- Sweetp

(PS: Speaking of my sister's wedding, waving a Qur'an above the couples' heads isn't allowed, right? )

Default Re: Naat

these are all cultural practices - nothing "holy" by themselves, but to go to the other extreme, they would be prohibited only if they explicitly go against the Quran or Sunna of the Prophet (sws), or if someone makes them a part of religion.

When the real focus of faith is lost, then people indulge in such stuff - if someone really loves the Prophet (sws), he would follow the Quran in entirety, not remain busy in singing paeans to him.
    Nine things the Lord has commanded me: Fear of God in private and in public; Justness, whether in anger or in calmness; Moderation in both poverty and affluence; That I should join hands with those who break away from me; And give to those who deprive me; And forgive those who wrong me; And that my silence should be meditation; And my words remembrance of God; And my vision keen observation.- Prophet Muhammad (pbuh)

Sesame Street resident

Quote Originally Posted by shaad_lko View Post
    these are all cultural practices - nothing "holy" by themselves, but to go to the other extreme, they would be prohibited only if they explicitly go against the Quran or Sunna of the Prophet (sws), or if someone makes them a part of religion.

When the real focus of faith is lost, then people indulge in such stuff - if someone really loves the Prophet (sws), he would follow the Quran in entirety, not remain busy in singing paeans to him.
    Sweet, thanks!!!! Thank God. They annoy the heck outta me.

Also, you have a very big vocab, I've noticed. "Paeans"? Wow. MashaAllah. Good job!!!!!!

maybe I should become an author..
    Nine things the Lord has commanded me: Fear of God in private and in public; Justness, whether in anger or in calmness; Moderation in both poverty and affluence; That I should join hands with those who break away from me; And give to those who deprive me; And forgive those who wrong me; And that my silence should be meditation; And my words remembrance of God; And my vision keen observation.- Prophet Muhammad (pbuh)

Sesame Street resident

Yeah!!! That would be SO COOL! I know you're kidding, but think about it. You should write a fantasy series aimed at tweens. Those are really popular nowadays - I don't think you could go wrong there. OR write satire, but only if you can be mean in a funny, subtle way. I vote you do it!!! Imagine being paid for your words..

Sesame Street resident

Orrrr you could write a dumb sensasionalist novel like The Kite Runner. Emphasise the oppression of a minority group where you're from, glorify America, etc etc. You know the drill.

i wont forget UI when I'm famous, though..

Sesame Street resident

Haha, much obliged.