Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: History of Islam

Veteran Member

Default History of Islam

I am reading the history of Islam. History remains controversial depending upon who is writing it. I will be grateful for your views and reasons on issues that I find controversial.

Veteran Member

Default Re: History of Islam

Discussing the history of Egypt. It states that Prophet Abraham pbuh came to Egypt and the king of Egypt honoured the prophet of God by amrrying him to his daughter Hajirah.

The view of OT is that Hajirah was the female slave of Sarah, wife of Prophet Abraham pbuh. Sarah gave her to prophet Abraham when she could not have any siblings.

There are no references to the source of the information and Quran has not discussed it.

I will be grateful if you could share your views and reasons on this one

Veteran Member

The Book then states about the parishing of the pharaoh at the Red sea with Moses pbuh and the children of Israel at the other end.

" Quran states that Allah said to the king of Egypt that your dead body will be preserved so that it can be a sign that people can learn from for generations. In 1911 his body was discovered and is preserved today in the Museum of Cairo."

Has it been conclusively proved that this was THE pharaoh?

Veteran Member

It states that after the death of Prophet Solomen pbuh the kingdom of Israelites was disintegrated. They were attacked by Bakhat Nasar who was the king of Babylon He destroyed Jerusalem, rasied to the ground the scared Altar there and made the Israelites prisoners and took them to Babylon. After some time Sairus conquered Babylon and allowed the Israelites to return back to their country and reconstruct the Sacred Altar. Their sacred Book had been lost and it was re compiled

Can I ask the views of the Jewish and Christian colleagues on this issue which ahs been highlighted.

Veteran Member

In relation to the Persian dynasty it states

" The person who commenced it was Deioces. In his family one of the renowed Kings was Cyaxares. The grand son of Cyaxares was called "Khusro". The Greeks called him Sirus and he is the king that has been called " Zulqarnain" in Quran.

I will be grateful if you could share your views on this.

Veteran Member

Geographical Location of Arabia.

It states that at the time of the birth of prophet Muhammad pbuh tehre were only three known continents. Asia, Africa and Europe. Arabia is geographically placed so that it forms a link with all three continents. Thus geographically it had a very strategic position.

Quote Originally Posted by DocW View Post
    Geographical Location of Arabia.

It states that at the time of the birth of prophet Muhammad pbuh tehre were only three known continents. Asia, Africa and Europe. Arabia is geographically placed so that it forms a link with all three continents. Thus geographically it had a very strategic position.
    The above is among the more damaging indictments of the false perceptions and ancient superstitions that were pervasive during the 7th century.

Salaam,

I am reading the history of Islam. History remains controversial depending upon who is writing it. I will be grateful for your views and reasons on issues that I find controversial.
    Which books are you referring for the History of Islam. Reason I ask is that unlike the other two threads on Bible and Quran, here we don't have a standard reference.
    Nine things the Lord has commanded me: Fear of God in private and in public; Justness, whether in anger or in calmness; Moderation in both poverty and affluence; That I should join hands with those who break away from me; And give to those who deprive me; And forgive those who wrong me; And that my silence should be meditation; And my words remembrance of God; And my vision keen observation.- Prophet Muhammad (pbuh)

Veteran Member

Salaam bro Shaad

History of Islam by Maulana Ghulam Rasool Mehr. I am conscious that it is not the authors views that are crucial but events that are recognised in history.

Discussing the history of Egypt. It states that Prophet Abraham pbuh came to Egypt and the king of Egypt honoured the prophet of God by amrrying him to his daughter Hajirah.

The view of OT is that Hajirah was the female slave of Sarah, wife of Prophet Abraham pbuh. Sarah gave her to prophet Abraham when she could not have any siblings.

There are no references to the source of the information and Quran has not discussed it.

I will be grateful if you could share your views and reasons on this one
    Actually, the OT tradition states that Hajar was given to Sarah by the same King of Egypt, upon witnessing miracles attributed to her, meaning Hajar was a princess that became the mistress of Sarah. But the whole story seems far-fetched for multiple reasons and is probably another example of the tribal prejudice. One reason for the absurdity is we would expect Abraham to have a significant pull in Egyptian political affairs in the texts if such an event happened (though we do know that the dawaa mission of ABraham was becoming known in the surrounding regions), but we find nothing of the sort in the story of Jacob, the grandson of Abraham until Yusuf becomes a deputy.
    "Those who deny the strength of truth,
    God does not give them courage." - Bulleh Shah

In relation to the Persian dynasty it states

" The person who commenced it was Deioces. In his family one of the renowed Kings was Cyaxares. The grand son of Cyaxares was called "Khusro". The Greeks called him Sirus and he is the king that has been called " Zulqarnain" in Quran.

I will be grateful if you could share your views on this.
    dhul qarnain was not identified in the Qur'an as to who he was

moreover, Allah describes Dhul-Qarnayn as a muwaahid whereas the general rulers being discussed here are mushrikeen, so it is impossible for Allah to describe a mushirk as being a muwaahid.
    Islamic Thought In the Modern Era of the Islamic Awakening: Dissemination of Islamic research and studies
    al-Mustaqeem Publications
    “The bonds of Islam will be broken one by one. Every time a bond is undone, the people will cling to the bond that follows. The first of these bonds is rulership (khilaafa) and the last is the prayer (salah).” Reported by Ahmad and Tabarani. Al-Hakim stated that the chain is authentic.

Veteran Member

The period of Hazrat Usman rta

1. In terms of expnasion the Muslim empire reached its peak.

2. Was he a very pious, nice humble person but a weak politician and ruler?

3. Was he asked by people from Basra, Kufa and Egypt to resign from power during his time as caliph?

4. Was there a period of time before his assasination that he was virtually house bound and protected by his close friends by standing outside his home.

5. How did this transformation occur? ruler of one of the biggest empires, plenty of money, kingdom, power.How did he become so vulnerable?

6. Was his dead body left for three days in Madina and could not be buried. The rebels had taken over Madina?

7. Is this the reason that he was buried in Jant ul Baqeeh with no sign of his grave, becasue people were afraid that his grave would be disrespected?

I am curious how the ruler of such a vast empire could become so vulnerable?

Veteran Member

Quote Originally Posted by Al-Boriqi View Post

moreover, Allah describes Dhul-Qarnayn as a muwaahid whereas the general rulers being discussed here are mushrikeen, so it is impossible for Allah to describe a mushirk as being a muwaahid.
    Many thanks bro Al-Boriqi. as always I appreciate your very knowledgable contributions.

Quote Originally Posted by Al-Boriqi View Post

is it known with certainty that the Persian dynasty was always mushrik?
    Nine things the Lord has commanded me: Fear of God in private and in public; Justness, whether in anger or in calmness; Moderation in both poverty and affluence; That I should join hands with those who break away from me; And give to those who deprive me; And forgive those who wrong me; And that my silence should be meditation; And my words remembrance of God; And my vision keen observation.- Prophet Muhammad (pbuh)

The period of Hazrat Usman rta

1. In terms of expnasion the Muslim empire reached its peak.

2. Was he a very pious, nice humble person but a weak politician and ruler?

3. Was he asked by people from Basra, Kufa and Egypt to resign from power during his time as caliph?

4. Was there a period of time before his assasination that he was virtually house bound and protected by his close friends by standing outside his home.

5. How did this transformation occur? ruler of one of the biggest empires, plenty of money, kingdom, power.How did he become so vulnerable?

6. Was his dead body left for three days in Madina and could not be buried. The rebels had taken over Madina?

7. Is this the reason that he was buried in Jant ul Baqeeh with no sign of his grave, becasue people were afraid that his grave would be disrespected?

I am curious how the ruler of such a vast empire could become so vulnerable?
    Number 6 is not true from whatever I've read. Incidentally, Hasan and Husayn (rta) were among those guarding his house, but in the melee could not prevent the assassination.

As to how a once-strong rule becomes vulnerable, this often happens when the central authority becomes weakened and the provincial governors assert their independence. For instance, in the final days of the Mughal Empire, all of the subcontinent submitted to their authority, but practically their dominion was restricted to just around Delhi. Why go far, see how Gaddafi collapsed in Libya - he has absolute power in Libya one day, and gradually all that is left is parts of Tripoli, and from there it all vanished.

Kingdoms/empires/nations are all erected on the edifice of strong structural elements. When these structures become weak, the centralization weakens, and it all collapses in a heap - another classic example - the USSR. Fortunately, in the case of the Islamic state, there remained chaos for a period only, but later there were two main warring groups between 'Ali and Muaviya. In the end, it proved that the political acumen of Muaviya was instrumental in consolidating his rule by winning over key persons across the state.