Thread: Understanding Resurrection

Default Understanding Resurrection

Assalamu allaykum,

Surely, we as Muslims, believe that the present life is not the only life life that we are going to have. After we die, there's going to be a another life that is never going to end, like waking up from sleep except that it's a much longer sleep. We may or may remember everything we have done but Allah will still question us about our actions. Then, our hands and feet will be confessing their own sins (and there's a verse about that in the Quran).

The non-believers will be in a state of shock and terror when they see their bodies restored back to life again.

So, my question is: Is resurrection really going to be a physical process?

I do believe that it is physical, and our bodies will be re-created, as Allah says in the Quran, "Does man think that We cannot assemble his bones? Nay, We are able to put together in perfect order the very tips of his fingers" (75:3-4). However, I have read in some hadiths that the soul will get pulled out from the body and brought to Allah which seems to imply that the resurrection is only a spiritual resurrection (i.e. because our bodies will stay in the grave). So, I want to know whether or not the body actually stays in the grave after we are brought back to life.

This might be something which only Allah knows, but I'm looking forward to your responses and see if anyone has an answer to this. Jazakllah khair.

Default Re: Understanding Resurrection

AOA,

I personally like Iqbal's explanation in his Reconstruction of Religious Thought in Islam, particualrly the following chapter:

http://www.witness-pioneer.org/vil/B...chapter_04.htm

It requires though, a reading of the whole work so as to understand his basic philosophy.
    "Those who deny the strength of truth,
    God does not give them courage." - Bulleh Shah

Thank you for the link, ihsan.

The reading is a little difficult and complicated because it talks about the nature of the soul and the mind-body relationship and all that stuff but, insha'Allah, I'll read more of it slowly. I find the article to be quite informative on this particular topic. Jazakallah khair.

If anyone else wants to comment on my original post, or say something, or even ask a question, then feel free to do so.

Quote Originally Posted by Spiderman View Post
    Thank you for the link, ihsan.

The reading is a little difficult and complicated because it talks about the nature of the soul and the mind-body relationship and all that stuff but, insha'Allah, I'll read more of it slowly. I find the article to be quite informative on this particular topic. Jazakallah khair.

If anyone else wants to comment on my original post, or say something, or even ask a question, then feel free to do so.
    AOA,

No problem and this is what I kind of expected. One should actually read his work from the beginning to appreciate his position a little bit better, but even then it takes a few times to digest it. But I think he hits the heart of the matter better than any Muslim in the modern context has. Relativity essentially confirms that out 'physical' existence is dependent upon the fram of reference.

One of his poetic verses states to the effect, to call it body or soul is a matter of speech, but to distinguish the two is disbelief. For him, what we call 'body' is a result of our mental states affiliation with 'serial time'. Thus, the resurrection is not a split between two different worlds, but the next world is just built upon this world. It is all one creative act in reality and our resurrection is more of a 'sharpening of the vision' than anything else. The essential point is that dualism that we posit is because of discursive knowledge, and the act of knowledge is not to be confused with reality itself.

With this in mind, it becomes easy to understand that Heaven and Hell primarily capture 'mental states' in the context of our own experiences in this world. We cannot really go farther beyond this, but Iqbal tends to view it as partly 'physical'.
    "Those who deny the strength of truth,
    God does not give them courage." - Bulleh Shah

Quote Originally Posted by Spiderman View Post
    Assalamu allaykum,

Surely, we as Muslims, believe that the present life is not the only life life that we are going to have. After we die, there's going to be a another life that is never going to end, like waking up from sleep except that it's a much longer sleep. We may or may remember everything we have done but Allah will still question us about our actions. Then, our hands and feet will be confessing their own sins (and there's a verse about that in the Quran).

The non-believers will be in a state of shock and terror when they see their bodies restored back to life again.

So, my question is: Is resurrection really going to be a physical process?

I do believe that it is physical, and our bodies will be re-created, as Allah says in the Quran, "Does man think that We cannot assemble his bones? Nay, We are able to put together in perfect order the very tips of his fingers" (75:3-4). However, I have read in some hadiths that the soul will get pulled out from the body and brought to Allah which seems to imply that the resurrection is only a spiritual resurrection (i.e. because our bodies will stay in the grave). So, I want to know whether or not the body actually stays in the grave after we are brought back to life.

This might be something which only Allah knows, but I'm looking forward to your responses and see if anyone has an answer to this. Jazakllah khair.
    As Salamu Alaykum

Part of our basic creed is believing in the resurrection but there are also phases as well from death until Yawm al Qiyama. A good very short book was written by Imam Abdullah ibn Alawi al Haddad called The Lives of Man which goes over the phases of existence of the human being.

The pdf copy of this book is here http://www.scribd.com/doc/33300356/T...llah-al-Haddad

If not you can buy it online through amazon or such http://www.amazon.com/Lives-Man-Guid.../dp/1887752145

From the mainstream understanding, resurrection is both physical and spiritual. Learning about basic creed is a fard al ayn or individual obligation that everyone must take. A good work that was just translated is this http://www.islamicbookstore.com/b11076.html

This will help you through what you should know about mainstream creed and theology of Islam.

I would stay away from marginal sectarian groups that have little or no influence in mainstream Islam and are stuck in the Indian subcontinent
    The Prophet Muhammad (Salla Llahu alayhi wa alihi wa sallam) said, “Verily Allah does not take away knowledge by snatching it from the people but He takes away knowledge by taking away the scholars, so that when He leaves no learned person, people appoint ignorant as their leaders. They are asked to deliver religious verdicts and they deliver them without knowledge, they go astray, and lead others astray.” [Sahih al-Bukhari & Sahih Muslim]

What we define as "physical" also has it's basis in our understanding of the world around us. Are electromagnetic waves physical? Does the color that I call red appear the same to everyone who calls it red too or everyone sees it different but just calls it red?

The point is, whatever we know hinges upon our own understanding of the world around us. When we are raised again, most importantly it is this understanding which is currently limited will become exposed to the full extent of reality. In such a state, whether we perceive our bodies exactly the same as right now or differently is a question impossible to answer. However one can say with some degree of certainty that our current existence is rooted in temporariness, hence an existence of eternity has to be in a state where the current temporariness components are absent.
    [Offtopic] I spend my time on my Oracle Forums and my General Forums [/Offtopic]

[Ontopic] To compare translations of the Quran and read Tafsir Jalalayn, refer Quran.com [/Ontopic]

As Salamu Alaykum

From how it is explained, that we will be resurrected in our physical bodies naked. From the hadith narrations we will be sweating because of the heat from that day, some more than others. Obviously our bodies will be made in a way that allows the things that will happen to some people on the day of judgment. Imam Abdullah ibn Alawi al Haddad's book which I provided a link in pdf form explains from the quran and hadith narrations. Some of the hadith descriptions have reached the level of tawattur which means they can be taken as part of the creed where as non tawattur hadith are not applied to aqida.

We can beat ourselves over how that will actually happen. But the traditions show some sort of indication.
    The Prophet Muhammad (Salla Llahu alayhi wa alihi wa sallam) said, “Verily Allah does not take away knowledge by snatching it from the people but He takes away knowledge by taking away the scholars, so that when He leaves no learned person, people appoint ignorant as their leaders. They are asked to deliver religious verdicts and they deliver them without knowledge, they go astray, and lead others astray.” [Sahih al-Bukhari & Sahih Muslim]

Wa alaikum assalam bro Nawawi

In my limited understanding, it seems to me that "scenes" of afterlife described in the Quran and in the narrations attempt to explain afterlife in terms of experiences we can relate to in this world. There is also an ayah in the Quran where the inhabitants of paradise exclaim how they had experienced a certain likeness to the fruits of paradise in their life in the world. My understanding is that life after we are raised up will be in such a state which we cannot comprehend fully due to our inability to understand nature beyond our related experiences. Hence the afterlife scenes explain situations in terms of our current life experiences, this does not mean that our physical bodies will be same then as they are now.

Again, all of that is as per my limited understanding and Allah knows best.

Peace
    [Offtopic] I spend my time on my Oracle Forums and my General Forums [/Offtopic]

[Ontopic] To compare translations of the Quran and read Tafsir Jalalayn, refer Quran.com [/Ontopic]

Quote Originally Posted by Sadiq_b View Post
    My understanding is that life after we are raised up will be in such a state which we cannot comprehend fully due to our inability to understand nature beyond our related experiences. Hence the afterlife scenes explain situations in terms of our current life experiences, this does not mean that our physical bodies will be same then as they are now.
    That's a good point. So, that's the reason why nobody can actually describe nor understand what life will be like when we are raised up again. Our comprehension of the afterlife is greatly limited by our current life experiences. This is also what ihsan brought up in his second post.

Even in modern theoretical physics, there are many interesting concepts which tell us how much of a strange and amazing place the universe is (things like black holes, extra dimensions, colliding branes, a computer-simulated universe, multiverses, quantum entanglement, delayed choice experiments, etc). Also, there is a theory called the Holographic Principle, which says that all my 3-dimensional experiences may be a projection from a 2-dimensional vibrating surface encompassing the entire universe.

A quote from an article that I read:

If this line of reasoning is correct, then there are physical processes taking place on some distant surface that, much as a puppeteer pulls strings, are fully linked to the processes taking place in my fingers, arms, and brain as I type these words at my desk. Our experiences here and that distant reality there would form the most interlocked of parallel worlds. Phenomena in the two—I’ll call them Holographic Parallel Universes—would be so fully joined that their respective evolutions would be as connected as me and my shadow.
    http://discovermagazine.com/2011/jun...giant-hologram

That seems to have a similarity with the belief that all our actions are being recorded in a book (i.e. the book of deeds) as if they are being projected into some kind of a 2-dimensional surface. The Quran also says that everyone will be able to see their book of deeds on the Day of Judgment. "This Record speaks about you with truth. Verily, We were recording what you used to do" (45:29).

Maybe this invisible book is analogous to a credit card where all the information about ourselves get written down. This is just a possible explanation but, of course, Allah knows best.

Quote Originally Posted by Nawawi619 View Post
    As Salamu Alaykum

Part of our basic creed is believing in the resurrection but there are also phases as well from death until Yawm al Qiyama. A good very short book was written by Imam Abdullah ibn Alawi al Haddad called The Lives of Man which goes over the phases of existence of the human being.

The pdf copy of this book is here http://www.scribd.com/doc/33300356/T...llah-al-Haddad

If not you can buy it online through amazon or such http://www.amazon.com/Lives-Man-Guid.../dp/1887752145

From the mainstream understanding, resurrection is both physical and spiritual. Learning about basic creed is a fard al ayn or individual obligation that everyone must take. A good work that was just translated is this http://www.islamicbookstore.com/b11076.html
    Wallaykum as-salaam,

Thanks for posting the links and your brief explanation. I'll take a look at them insha'Allah.