Page 1 of 21 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: According to the Quran, can christians go to heaven?

Default According to the Quran, can christians go to heaven?

Assalamu Alaikum

The Quran says (Quoting Abdullah Yusuf Ali)

Those who believe (in the Quran), those who follow the Jewish (scriptures), and the Sabians and the Christians - any who believe in Allah and the Last Day, and work righteous - on them shall be no fear, nor shall they grieve.

5:69
    btw, who are the Sabians?

Veteran Member

Default Re: According to the Quran, can christians go to heaven?

the Christians -any who believe in Allah and the Last Day, and work righteous - on them shall be no fear, nor shall they grieve.

"any who believe"
    Islam isnt for studying,its for living

Quote Originally Posted by sm_yaseen View Post
    Assalamu Alaikum
    The Quran says (Quoting Abdullah Yusuf Ali)

btw, who are the Sabians?

It depends who you ask. That particular verse, I'm told, refers to Christians before the advent of Islam. So, Christians today aren't saved according to that interpretation. It's possible though that some Christians may go to heaven if they've been provided a misconstrued version Islam and not true Islam (and hence rejected it). This is the view of Imam Ghazali apparently.

The Sabians were from the Sabian religion. It was prevalent before Islam and was a monotheistic faith.

Veteran Member

http://www.understanding-islam.com/q...hristians-4761

There has been recent discussion about the fact whether Christians and Jews will be going to heaven along with Muslims (insha'Allah).

The argument is such: Christians and Jews who are isolated from Islam have the possibility to go to heaven but those who have been exposed to Islam do not. Also certain verses in the Qur'an concerning Christians and Jews going to heaven have been nullified by later verses.

Could you please comment on this because it does not make sense considering what I have read in the Qur'an?

Question from United States of America
    Answer
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Qur'an has very strongly negated the idea that the Jannah or the bliss in the life hereafter - the Paradise - is the right of any particular religious group or creed. Whether one ascribes to the Muslim or to any other belief, the criteria for success in the hereafter is going to be his true faith in the Almighty and in the Day of reckoning.

According to the Qur'anic view about life each individual, who lives on the face of this earth is being tested by the Almighty. Whether born to Muslim or Jewish or Christian parents, each individual is being tested for his honest and unbiased search for and surrender to the Truth, as he sees and understands it. To go through this test, God has bestowed upon us the sense and the intellect to judge right from wrong.

A close look at our general attitude towards religion and religious beliefs shows that we normally go through life with the beliefs that we inherit from our parents. If we are born in a Muslim family, there is a greater chance that we shall remain Muslims through out our lives. The same holds true in other cases as well. But unfortunately, this passive belief shall have absolutely no importance on the Day of Judgment. Whether we attended the Sunday Church or the Friday Congregation shall only have a secondary importance. The first thing that would be judged is whether the individual truly searched for the Truth or not and then, whether he lived his life in accordance with that Truth or not.

In the light of the above explanation, in my opinion, success in the hereafter is not dependent on ascribing to any one or the other group. It is basically dependent on my attitude towards searching for and submitting to the Truth. Thus, those Christians and Jews, who, without any prejudice, had searched for the Truth and had submitted to it, shall be among those who are successful in the hereafter. While those who called themselves Muslims in this world, might fail in the hereafter on the account that they did not seriously and without any bias, seek the Truth or that even after knowing the Truth, did not submit to it or lived their lives in accordance with it.

This is the general principle of success and/or failure in the test of the life of this world. Thus, the criterion of success or failure is one that depends purely on the internal mechanism of the human soul and intellect. Because we cannot say that a particular person has rejected Islam (or whatever we hold to be the Truth) after being thoroughly convinced that Islam is the divine truth, we therefore, cannot pass a judgment regarding his success or failure in the hereafter. It is only the Omniscient[1] God who really knows whether a person rejected after being truly convinced of the Truth or whether his rejection was because of some misunderstanding or some unanswered questions in his mind, regarding that Truth. On the day of reckoning, God shall give His decision on the basis of His absolute knowledge about the reasons of the rejection of the individuals.

According to the Qur'an, when a messenger of God (Rasu'l as distinct from Nab'i) is sent towards a people, he removes all doubts that lie in people's minds regarding the Truth. He answers all their questions. Truth becomes evidently distinct from falsehood. Those who accept his message, accept it with full knowledge of what is right and what is wrong; and those who reject his message, reject it after gaining full knowledge that it is the Truth that they are rejecting. It is because of this particular position of the messengers (Rasu'l) of God that it becomes evident that those who are rejecting his call are rejecting the Truth, and those who are accepting his call are submitting to the Truth. The former are thus bound to be thrown in the hellfire and the latter are promised the everlasting bliss of paradise. Therefore the Jews and Christians who lived during the life of the Prophet (pbuh) and yet did not accept his message are doomed to the severe punishment of hellfire. We, even with our limited knowledge know about this fact, because if, as the Muslims hold, Mohammad (pbuh) was a true messenger of God, then those Jews and Christians who lived during the life of the Prophet (pbuh) knowingly rejected the Truth. They shall have no excuse for their rejection. It is these Jews and Christians that are sure to be doomed.

As far as the Jews and Christians of other times and places are concerned, they are subjected to the same test in the life of this world, as everyone else including the Muslims. If they submit to whatever they truly believe to be the Truth and live their lives in accordance with that Truth, they shall be successful. The case of the Muslims is not any different.

Moiz Amjad

Veteran Member

http://www.understanding-islam.com/q...-paradise-4758

We believe that those people who believe in the oneness of God and in the last prophet only they will eventually be forgiven by God. But most of us are Muslims only because we were born in Muslim families i.e. by chance not by choice. I am quite sure that had we been born in India or America or elsewhere, we would have taken up that religion and the chances of converting to Islam would be pretty dim. We are lucky enough to be born in a Muslim family.

The crux of the matter is that a person is molded according to his surroundings and he adopts those values and religion, which are inculcated in him. Then don't you think that those who although are not Muslims because they are not born in Muslim families but are very pious in their lives should be forgiven? If they are not, wouldn't it be injustice with them?

This question really pinches me that despite all our bad deeds, we will eventually be forgiven by the Almighty just because we recite the KALIMA[1], while a person who has been very good to other people and has led a very pious life will be sent to hell, just because he was not born in a Muslim family.

Waiting for your answer

Question from Pakistan
    Answer
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Your question pertains to the criteria of success in the hereafter.

Success in the hereafter does not depend on whether the world knew me as a Muslim or a non-Muslim. It is whether I really was a "Muslim" or a "non-Muslim". A "Muslim" is a person who truly submits to the will of God.

What one believes in largely depends on what he thinks and knows to be true. And that in turn, would depend on his knowledge and exposure. An honest person, who with all his honesty searched for and submitted to God's will, is a true Muslim. And only that "Muslim" qualifies for Jannah[2].

Yes, I do agree that we, Muslims(?) have a certain advantage if we approach the issue from the perspective you have mentioned in your letter. However, this advantage, places a very big responsibility on our shoulders too. Now, a Muslim is also responsible for showing the right path to those who have gone astray[3]. If we do not fulfill our responsibility, it maybe that the so-called Muslim are collectively held responsible for those who went astray, just because the Muslims, as a group, did not fulfill their responsibility.

Who knows, when the curtain is ultimately raised on the Day of Judgment, many whom we thought and knew as Muslims, are amongst the Kaafirs... just because of their attitude of infidelity.... and many of those whom we knew as non-Muslims are found among the Muslims, just because of their true submission to (whatever they honestly thought to be) the will of God.

The Day of Judgment would be a day of absolute justice. No one will be able to object regarding the ultimate justice done by God. No one will be punished, because he lacked knowledge.

There are two basic qualities that will be judged:

Whether one really searched for the truth; and
    Whether one submitted to what he believed was true.
    On the other hand, two qualities are bound to doom a person:

His carelessness and arrogance in his search for the truth; and
    His arrogance in submitting to the truth.
    Now, my friend, you can surely see that from this perspective, Muslims and non-Muslims stand on the same grounds. We, as Muslims do not have any advantage, besides the one, which puts a heavy responsibility on our shoulders. While the non-Muslims do not have any disadvantage, besides the one, for which they may be given a lot of allowance.

Moiz Amjad

Former Hadith Rejector

"Any who believe" has conditions. Saying Jesus is god, and then God has a son, and that you are guaranteed paradise in the hereafter, and that the devil is a fallen angel, and that the prophet Muhammad saaw is not really a prophet, and that the bible is infallible, and that there is such a thing as original sin, and that you can make images of god, and that one can pray by singing and dancing in church, and celebrating pagan holidays as a part of your own...are not part of those conditions.

Lets all just put aside this nonsensical politically correctedness and just admit to what the Quran explicitly says...the only religion accepted by God is Islam. There are no other ways around that.
    To anyone reading my posts:
    I used to be hadith rejector. After studying hadith at a surface level, I realized the large amount of nonsense dispelled by this forum and their top users. The exemptions are Al Boriqi, Nawawi, Lumumba and hlatif (who is no longer here). My advice, leave this forum. If you read anything of me rejecting hadith, know that it is nonsense and I no longer hold that view. Read my "Bio" for more info.

Former Hadith Rejector

Quote Originally Posted by alan View Post
    the Christians -any who believe in Allah and the Last Day, and work righteous - on them shall be no fear, nor shall they grieve.

"any who believe"
    Furthermore, the who point of Prophethood of the Prophet Muhammad saws would be useless and the Quran would thus be redundant if that Ayah meant "ANY" who believe without the proper conditions met.

Something that meets parts of the conditions of being a car is not really a car. My house has doors, so does a car. It also has windows, so does a car. It has a ceiling, AC, a radio, etc. So is it? No. Its not. A computer software has an "engine". Is the same engine as a cars? No. So, is it a car engine? No.

Christian believe in God. So do Muslims. But they believe that God died for your sins. Do muslims? No. So how can they be considered to get the same reward for as a muslim?

They meet PARTS of the conditions. Those conditions are enough for them to be similar to Muslims, and to be kind and loving to Muslims, but it does not meet they will get the same reward as Muslims. Hence the point of Da'wah. If it was such that they are ALL going to heaven, then whats the point of doing da'wah? The point of guidance?

It's these "ya know, for the sake of not being controversial, i'll just change my religion to suit the times" kinds of things that is a plauge to Muslims.

Also, its funny how Christians will tell you to your face your going to hell for being a Mawzlam, but a Muslim doesn't have the guts to say what is the truth.
    Last edited by aamantubillah; 13th August 2011 at 18:11.
    To anyone reading my posts:
    I used to be hadith rejector. After studying hadith at a surface level, I realized the large amount of nonsense dispelled by this forum and their top users. The exemptions are Al Boriqi, Nawawi, Lumumba and hlatif (who is no longer here). My advice, leave this forum. If you read anything of me rejecting hadith, know that it is nonsense and I no longer hold that view. Read my "Bio" for more info.

Veteran Member

Quote Originally Posted by aamantubillah View Post
    "Any who believe" has conditions. Saying Jesus is god, and then God has a son, and that you are guaranteed paradise in the hereafter, and that the devil is a fallen angel, and that the prophet Muhammad saaw is not really a prophet, and that the bible is infallible, and that there is such a thing as original sin, and that you can make images of god, and that one can pray by singing and dancing in church, and celebrating pagan holidays as a part of your own...are not part of those conditions.

Lets all just put aside this nonsensical politically correctedness and just admit to what the Quran explicitly says...the only religion accepted by God is Islam. There are no other ways around that.
    The Quran has been quoted,show us your quote.

Veteran Member

Furthermore, the who point of Prophethood of the Prophet Muhammad saws would be useless and the Quran would thus be redundant if that Ayah meant "ANY" who believe without the proper conditions met.

Something that meets parts of the conditions of being a car is not really a car. My house has doors, so does a car. It also has windows, so does a car. It has a ceiling, AC, a radio, etc. So is it? No. Its not. A computer software has an "engine". Is the same engine as a cars? No. So, is it a car engine? No.

Christian believe in God. So do Muslims. But they believe that God died for your sins. Do muslims? No. So how can they be considered to get the same reward for as a muslim?

They meet PARTS of the conditions. Those conditions are enough for them to be similar to Muslims, and to be kind and loving to Muslims, but it does not meet they will get the same reward as Muslims. Hence the point of Da'wah. If it was such that they are ALL going to heaven, then whats the point of doing da'wah? The point of guidance?

It's these "ya know, for the sake of not being controversial, i'll just change my religion to suit the times" kinds of things that is a plauge to Muslims.

Also, its funny how Christians will tell you to your face your going to hell for being a Mawzlam, but a Muslim doesn't have the guts to say what is the truth.
    You seem to be getting very vexed?
    Relax in the truth you believe,let God be the judge.

Lets all just put aside this nonsensical politically correctedness and just admit to what the Quran explicitly says...the only religion accepted by God is Islam.
    Salaam,
    What is the difference between a believing Christian and a non-practising Muslim? I hope that is a politically incorrect question.
    Nine things the Lord has commanded me: Fear of God in private and in public; Justness, whether in anger or in calmness; Moderation in both poverty and affluence; That I should join hands with those who break away from me; And give to those who deprive me; And forgive those who wrong me; And that my silence should be meditation; And my words remembrance of God; And my vision keen observation.- Prophet Muhammad (pbuh)

Quote Originally Posted by shaad_lko View Post
    Salaam,
    What is the difference between a believing Christian and a non-practising Muslim? I hope that is a politically incorrect question.
    The Muslim recognises there is no god but Allah and that Muhammad is his messenger where as the Christian does not?

Veteran Member

Salaam,
    A believing Christian is mistaken in his belief, a non practicing Muslim may not be.

Veteran Member

Salaam,
    In my humble opinion so long as the believing Christian is not denying the Truth about Islam on the basis of bias and stubborness, he will be more worthy of Paradise then a non practising Muslim.

Salaam,
    Wasalaam,

The question is much too complex to actually answer.
    What it boils down to is what is inside a persons heart, their intentions, what knowledge they know and acted on etc.
    These are all things that we are not the judge of, only Allah is.

'Believing' and 'practicing' or 'non-practicing' could all mean different things to different people dependant on a ones outlook.

Peace
    “None of you truly believes until he loves for his brother what he loves for himself.”

Veteran Member

Quote Originally Posted by alan View Post
    You seem to be getting very vexed?
    Relax in the truth you believe,let God be the judge.
    Aya has a context and in the Quran it is pretty clear that Allah may forgive anything except associating partner's with Him.