Thread: 3 Witr for Isha - Dua-e-Qunoot

Default 3 Witr for Isha - Dua-e-Qunoot

I wanted ask a question about the 3 Witr for Isha.

I know that you have to read the Dua-e-Qunoot.

But I don't know it, and my mum said it's ok for me to read Kuluhuwallahuahad (the third time when you get up) and say Allahu Akbar between it.

I know it might sound confusing, but I feel more confident asking someone on here.

I'm not sure if my mum's right, but I just wanted to know if that's ok?

Former Hadith Rejector

Default Re: 3 Witr for Isha - Dua-e-Qunoot

Quote Originally Posted by littlestarface View Post
    I wanted ask a question about the 3 Witr for Isha.

I know that you have to read the Dua-e-Qunoot.

But I don't know it, and my mum said it's ok for me to read Kuluhuwallahuahad (the third time when you get up) and say Allahu Akbar between it.

I know it might sound confusing, but I feel more confident asking someone on here.

I'm not sure if my mum's right, but I just wanted to know if that's ok?
    I just looked this up in Reliance of the Traveler and it says it's recommended you recite the dua but nothing about what it can be replaced with.

Try to memorize it. I used YouTube as a means to memorize the duaa. If that's hard, write it down and read the duaa from it in your salah. Once you've learned it, then don't use the written sheet anymore. Best thing in my opinion is to simply memorize it. Ask Allah to help you memorize and learn it and give it your best shot.
    To anyone reading my posts:
    I used to be hadith rejector. After studying hadith at a surface level, I realized the large amount of nonsense dispelled by this forum and their top users. The exemptions are Al Boriqi, Nawawi, Lumumba and hlatif (who is no longer here). My advice, leave this forum. If you read anything of me rejecting hadith, know that it is nonsense and I no longer hold that view. Read my "Bio" for more info.

Veteran Member

http://www.understanding-islam.org/r...estion&qid=721

The word "witr", in the Arabic language means "odd" (as in "odd number", as opposed to "even number").

The "witr" prayer that the Muslims generally offer after "`isha" prayers are basically a part of the "tahajjud" prayers, which were obligatory for the Prophet (pbuh) and are a "naf'l" (supererogatory) prayer for other Muslims besides the Prophet (pbuh). The Prophet (pbuh) offered his tahajjud prayers in such a way that the number of the rakaat totaled to an odd number. When some Muslims came to the Prophet (pbuh) informing him that it was very difficult for them to wake up in the middle of the night for their tahajjud prayers, and inquiring from the Prophet (pbuh) regarding what should they do to earn the rewards of offering tahajjud prayers, the Prophet (pbuh) allowed them to offer their "witr" prayers, after `isha.

It must be kept in mind that the Prophet (pbuh), never in his life, offered his "witr" prayers after `isha.

As far as the method of offering tahajjud prayers is concerned, the following few facts can be derived from the actions and/or words of the Prophet (pbuh) in this respect:

The Prophet (pbuh) never exceeded eleven rakaat in this prayer;

The following three methods may be adopted in offering these rakaats:

the rakaats may be offered two at a time, and finally one rakat may offered separately;

the rakats may be offered four at a time, and finally three rakaat may be offered separately, without sitting in tashahhud; and

all the rakaats may be offered in one go, without sitting for tashahhud, that is two, four, six, eight or ten rakats may be offered one after the other, without sitting for tashahhud. And finally one rakat may be offered separately.

It must also be kept in mind that the Taraweeh prayer, normally offered during the month of Ramadhan, after the `isha prayers is also the tahajjud prayer, which was offered by the Prophet (pbuh) only in the middle of the night, and never after the `isha prayers.

Veteran Member

http://www.understanding-islam.org/r...stion&qid=1348

Question:

What is meant by Do'a Qanoot?

Is Vitar Prayer of Isha is incomplete without reciting of this Do'a?

Is Do'a Qanoot is an obligation for Vitar Prayer?

Can we recite any other Do'a instead of Do'a Qanoot?

Please tell me in the light of Quran & Sunnah?

Thanks

M.ASLAM SAQI

Answer:

"Qunoot" means 'obedience'. Thus, from a literal perspective, Du`a-e-Qunoot would mean the supplication expressing obedience to God. As a term, "Du`a e Qunoot" refers to supplications reported as having been recited by the Prophet (pbuh) during his prayers.

Du`a e Qunoot is an extremely beautiful and concise supplication expressing our love, respect, reverence, reliance and hope in God. It is reported that the Prophet (pbuh) used to recite this supplication during his prayers. Thus, even though this supplication is not an essential part of the Sala'h, yet one may recite it any of his prayers. It is reported that the Prophet (pbuh) would generally recite it during his Fajr and/or Maghrib prayers. It is also reported that when a calamity befalls a people, then they may even recite it more frequently (even if it is in all of their prayers), indicating their collective repentance and the rejuvenation of their collective relationship with their Creator.

As in other prayers, one may also recite this supplication in the Witr prayers. However, reciting it during the Witr prayers is not obligatory.

Finally, at the time of offering our supplications, we may recite any supplications we like (during our prayers in seclusion).

Veteran Member

http://www.understanding-islam.org/r...stion&qid=1471

Question:

Please provide the Arabic and English text for the Du'a e Qunoot (as I would like to include it in my collection of supplications to offer to God) as well as an explication of the text.

Omar Sarwar

Answer:

Different supplications are reported to have been recited by the Prophet (pbuh) during his Witr prayers. These various supplications are all termed as the Qunoot of Witr[1]. A few of these various supplications are given below:

اللهم اهدني فيمن هديت، وعافني فيمن عافيت، وتولني فيمن توليت، وبارك لي فيما أعطيت، وقني شر ما قضيت، فإنك تقضي ولا يقضى عليك، إنه لا يذل من واليت، ولا يعز من عاديت، تباركت ربنا وتعاليت

My Lord, guide me and make me among those whom You have guided; Forgive me and make me among those, whom You have forgiven; Take charge of me and make me among those, whom You have taken charge of; Bless me in whatever You have granted me; Save me from the undesirable consequences of Your decisions; For indeed You are decider, no one can decide about You. Indeed, whoever is in Your charge shall never be humiliated and whoever is Your enemy shall never find strength. Blessed are You, My Lord, High above [all others].

اللهم إني أعوذ برضاك من سخطك، وبمعافاتك من عقوبتك، وأعوذ بك منك، لا أحصي ثناء عليك، أنت كما أثنيت على نفسك

My Lord, I seek refuge from Your anger in Your mercy, from Your punishment in Your forgiveness; I seek refuge from You in You. I am unable to find sufficient words of praise for You. [All I can say is that] You are as You have praised Yourself to be.

اللهم إياك نعبد، ولك نصلي ونسجد، وإليك نسعى ونحفد، نرجوا رحمتك، ونخشى عذابك، إن عذابك بالكافرين ملحق اللهم إنا نستعينك، ونستغفرك، ونثني عليك الخير، ولا نكفرك، ونؤمن بك، ونخضع لك، ونخلع من يكفرك

Our Lord You alone do we worship; To You alone do we offer our prayers and our prostrations; Towards You alone is our striving and our race; We hope for Your mercy and we fear Your punishment; Indeed Your punishment is bound to strike the rejecters. Our Lord, We seek Your help, we ask for Your forgiveness; We praise you in the best of manners and we are not ungrateful to You and we believe You and surrender to You and have nothing to do with those, who reject You.

Veteran Member

Salaam sister

Welcome to the forum and I hope you enjoy your stay. I would be grateful if you post religious queries in the Islamic discussions section of the forum. General conversation is for social chit chat.

Best regards

Waseem

Yahya related to me from Malik from Abu Bakr ibn Umar that Said ibn Yasar said, ''I was travelling with Abdullah ibn Umar on the road to Makka, and fearing that it was nearly dawn. I dismounted and prayed witr. Abdullah said, 'Is there not a model for you in the Messenger of Allah, may Allah bless him and grant him peace?' I said, 'Of course, by Allah!' He said, 'The Messenger of Allah, may Allah bless him and grant him peace, used to pray witr on his camel.' "

The Prophet (Allah bless him and give him peace) encouraged people to pray nafl at night, after `isha. He also clearly commanded that this prayer at night be made odd by praying a single raka' by which one intends on completing their worship. This single raka' is the witr and the scholars clarified that the bare minimum is fulfilled by praying at least two raka's prior. Additionally, he (Allah bless him and give him peace) instructed people to "pray two-by-two until they feared the approach of dawn", so this obsession that people have with the number 8 whether it is inside or outside of Ramadan does not accurately reflect the Prophetic command and clearly does not reflect the understanding of the Companions (Allah be well pleased with them).

As for the qunut, it is merely a du`a and like all other Prophetic du`as, a heart endured towards God and a broken-spirit is more beneficial than a route memorization devoid of any passion. What is mentioned in Reliance of the Traveler as the bare minimum is the legal base through which one acquires the reward of having said the qunut.

In sha Allah, you should seek to memorize one of the Prophetic qunuts so that you may recite it as though it was your own and the easiest way to remember something is to merely repeat it over and over again. Some of the scholars recommend that if one is trying to remember something, one takes a tasbih and recites it by reading aloud 20 or 30 times immediately before going to sleep. And then as soon as one wakes up, one recites it again from memory to fasten it to your mind. If you literally just read it over and over and over again, you will have memorized it.

Even after you have memorized it, you should still supplicate through an admixture of your own spontaenous words and that which has been mentioned by the Prophet (Allah bless him and give him peace) to receive the maximum benefit from your supplication. But the point of the qunut is du`a, irrespective of the wording.

And Allah knows best.
    Last edited by lumumba_s; 21st October 2010 at 15:55.

Veteran Member

Muslim, No: 755.

The Prophet (sws) is reported to have said:

أيكم خاف أن لا يقوم من آخر الليل فليوتر ثم ليرقد ومن وثق بقيام من الليل فليوتر من آخره فإن قراءة آخر الليل محضورة وذلك أفضل

Whoever among you fears that he would not be able to get up in the last part of the night, he should offer the witr; but he who is certain that he would be able to get up, he should offer this prayer in the last part of the night because the recital [of the Qur'an] at that time is in the presence of the Almighty and it is this which is more blessed