Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The starting point?

Default The starting point?

Salaam,

I'm pretty new to this site and are not so sure how it works. If any part of this question is inapproriate please forgive me.

Most people in this world will at some point ask themselves, why were we created? what will happen once we're dead? how should we live this life? so on and so forth. Most muslims were given these answers way before they were born through the Holy Quran.

However, there is one question that has been lingering in my mind for quite some time and that is; why does Allah create? To ensure full understanding of the context let me explain the question a bit more.

Think about every event that is contained in the Quran, from the creation of the angels, humans, the advent of Satan, how the Adam couple was sent to the earth, the life and stories of all 25 prophets, to the present modern age (all the wars, revolutions, etc) and soon the judgement day, where the non-believers will be sent to Hell while true muslims go to heaven.

Now think of all these events collectively and think, why does all of these needs to happen? Don't get me wrong I truly believe that Allah is the most powerful and because of that there is nothing that He needs nor there is nothing He can't do. Therefore why create? Why does these events needs to happen? Why do we, the humans who have all these tendencies to do exactly the opposite of what He wanted us to do, has to exist? I'm not questioning His power or the concept of His existence nor am I saying that we should just die. I just simply wanted to know this so I can understand better my purpose in life and be a better servant because right now, I think my belief in Islam is shaking because of this question.

If this question or any part of it is not supposed to be asked by a true muslim, please point it out and I will never speak of it again.

Sorry if this is too lengthy,
    NN.

Default Re: The starting point?

Wa salaam,

The Quran states:

"Blessed be He, in whose hand is all dominion. Indeed, God Has Power over everything.
    He created death and life, to see who amongst you is best in deeds."
    The verse indicates that God's act of creating was a blessing, meaning it was a manifestation of his mercy. The primary purpose, as the next ayah goes on to say, was to create a being who would try and manifest that same goodness, in a much lesser degree, without any compulsion from God himself, in this very world and earn a permanent place in the scheme of God.

The implication of this point is that the destiny of man in this world is tied in with the realization of the moral imperative. Through an engagement with this world, man cultivates his character and worth. He has ideals that are felt within, that seek expression outside. He changes and transforms the world, attempting to create greater good. He passes his legacy down to the next generation through his good works and traditions, each generating taking these efforts and building upon them.

This transformation can only happen when men have to struggle against some opposition. Satan is part of this purpose, for it is through this enmity that man has to face the ugliness of his own character, which he is to fight and control and subvert it for better ends. The angels too are essential in this scheme, for they are meant to assist man from the unseen realm as well. The Quran states that when the good among humanity move into Paradise, the angels will proclaim to them that they were their helpers in this life, and will continue to be so in the next. When men are down in the pursuit of God, the angels provide means from the unseen realm, at the command of God, to assist a person through.

He bleeds and yearns in this life, because of this moral consciousness and he feels the pain of separation. He loves and hates, and desires, and through this, realizes a higher destiny. He tries to overcome himself and enter the realm of eternity, as the Quran alludes to in reference to the tree in which Adam partook, "the tree of eternity and the kingdom that never fails". Through this quest, men earn a significant place in the scheme of God, which is symbolized in the Quran with the world of Paradise, a state where men live a life free of fear and grief. The Quran expresses the next world in concepts that men, especially the Arabs, were familiar with, meaning that what one can really grasp of the next life is only but little. These pcitures that the Quran draws are primarily meant to convey certain ideas and feelings that appeal to the psyche of individual, allowing him to envision the future and live his life with eternity in mind.
    "Those who deny the strength of truth,
    God does not give them courage." - Bulleh Shah

I want to understand the ayat more. The phrase 'to see who amongst you are best in deeds' confuses me a bit. Doesn't God already know what will happen? as in the concept of Qada' and Qadar?

Quote Originally Posted by NN View Post
    I want to understand the ayat more. The phrase 'to see who amongst you are best in deeds' confuses me a bit. Doesn't God already know what will happen? as in the concept of Qada' and Qadar?
    Our knowledge is not like the 'knowledge' of God, The future exists as a possibility in the mind of God, meaning it only has an existence when God wills it to happen. The future is open possibility, that is built upon the present and past.

Veteran Member

answer from UI web site

Why is God Testing Man, if He Already Knows the Result...

Question:

If ALLAH knows the future of every man then why is still ALLAH testing us? If ALLAH knows that one person shall go to hell then what purpose does his life serve? ALLAH knows everything.

I await for your answer.

Answer:

God is testing man, by giving him free will to choose between right and wrong. It does not matter, if the results are already known to the Almighty or not. The thing that matters is that whether or not man is free to do right, if he chooses to, or not.

According to the Qur'an[1], God put man in this test, because man himself chose to be tested. God gave man the choice to accept this test or turn down the offer. Man accepted to take up the responsibility, as he was tempted by the rewards that were to follow his success, but ignored the penalty consequent upon his failure.

Thus, it does not matter if God knows about the ultimate result of an individual's test or not. What matters is that 1) man has not been put in this test, against his will and that 2) man is free to do right and, as a result, succeed in his test and thereby render himself deserving of the eternal bliss of Paradise.

I hope this helps.

[1] Al-Ahzaab 33: 72

Veteran Member

answer from UI web site

Title:
    A Query on God Knowing the Result

Question/Comments:

In your response to a question you write

... it does not matter if God knows about the ultimate result of an individual's test or not. What matters is that...

I have just one query in this regard and I would request you to please clarify it for me. It matters a lot to me if Allah knows about the ultimate result or not because it is directly related to my beliefs about an All-knowing Allah. The "or not" in your response leaves a possibility that Allah might not know about the ultimate result of an individual's test or ultimate consequences of his action. I just want a clear answer to this very simple question "Does Allah know about the ultimate result of an individual's test or not?"

The answer can be as simple as a "YES" or "NO".

Answer:

According to my present understanding, God does indeed know everything whether concerning about the past, the present or the future. There is absolutely no reason to think that there could be anything beyond God's knowledge. Nevertheless, from the perspective of the referred question in which I have given the cited statement, God's knowledge of an individual's results is irrelevant.

Veteran Member

from www. Renaissance.org

Question:
    We Muslims are told that our fate has been pre-written. If this is so, then why will some people be sent to Hell for deeds which were written down beforehand and they could do nothing about them? Also, what is the purpose of Du’ā when it cannot change pre-determined fates?

Answer:
    I will allude to certain points which I think may prove a little helpful in removing the confusion which in general seems to surround the concept of predestination:

a) The Almighty has given us the free will to select between good and evil. If a person intends to adopt the right path, it is up to him, and if he intends to adopt the wrong path, it is entirely his choice. It is after this liberty given to us in exercising our intention that the Almighty will reward or punish us. This retribution therefore will be based on our own deeds and not under any compulsion of fate.

b) Whatever is written down about our fate, concerns Allah's knowledge about our fate. His prior knowledge does not mean that we are under any compulsion to do what has been written down. It only means that He knows what we are going to do. Consequently, if Allah knows beforehand that such and such people will go to Hell or certain others will go to heaven, then it only means that such people will do the deeds which will lead them to a bad fate. In other words, a person's deeds will determine his fate only. However, whatever deeds he will do are already in the knowledge of Allah.

c) Du‘ā has a great significance since it is an expression of Tawhīd. There are things which will be given to us if we only ask for them; otherwise we will not receive them. In other words, they are dependent upon Du‘ā. So one cannot and should not disregard it.

This is exactly what I wanted to know: why God needs to create and see how we humans choose between good and evil. The 'allowing' us to choose certainly means that there is an absolute possibility that some will eventually succumb to evil and therefore be sent to hell. How is this a manifestation of His mercy? Why must God create humans need to have greedy, lustful nature if creating us is a form of His mercy?

In fact, it is certainly not fair as how some people were born into circumstances that leads them to do good and bad. For example, think of a person who was born into a christian family which lives within a christian community, and the person was taught to be a good christian all his life. Now compare him to a person born into a muslim family who lives within a muslim community, and the person was taught to be a good muslim all his life. Simply just because the first one was born into an unfortunate circumstances he will be sent to hell?

Of course, he can strive to find the truth but apparently that is not really the nature that represents the majority of the human population. Just compare the percentage of muslims in an Islamic country and in other countries. Its not a coincidence that there are a lot of muslims in an Islamic country, its just simply because people learn from their surroundings.

To quote Iqbal:

"The word ‘knowledge’, as applied to the finite ego, always means discursive knowledge - a temporal process which moves round a veritable ‘other’, supposed to exist per se and confronting the knowing ego. In this sense knowledge, even if we extend it to the point of omniscience, must always remain relative to its confronting ‘other’, and cannot, therefore, be predicated of the Ultimate Ego who, being all-inclusive, cannot be conceived as having a perspective like the finite ego. The universe, as we have seen before, is not an ‘other’ existing per se in opposition to God. It is only when we look at the act of creation as a specific event in the life-history of God that the universe appears as an independent ‘other’. From the standpoint of the all-inclusive Ego there is no ‘other’. In Him thought and deed, the act of knowing and the act of creating, are identical. It may be argued that the ego, whether finite or infinite, is inconceivable without a confronting non-ego, and if there is nothing outside the Ultimate Ego, the Ultimate Ego cannot be conceived as an ego. The answer to this argument is that logical negations are of no use in forming a positive concept which must be based on the character of Reality as revealed in experience. Our criticism of experience reveals the Ultimate Reality to be a rationally directed life which, in view of our experience of life, cannot be conceived except as an organic whole, a something closely knit together and possessing a central point of reference. This being the character of life, the ultimate life can be conceived only as an ego. Knowledge, in the sense of discursive knowledge, however infinite, cannot, therefore, be predicated of an ego who knows, and, at the same time, forms the ground of the object known. Unfortunately, language does not help us here. We possess no word to express the kind of knowledge which is also creative of its object. The alternative concept of Divine knowledge is omniscience in the sense of a single indivisible act of perception which makes God immediately aware of the entire sweep of history, regarded as an order of specific events, in an eternal ‘now’. This is how Jalaluddin Dawani, ‘Iraqi, and Professor Royce in our own times conceived God’s knowledge. There is an element of truth in this conception. But it suggests a closed universe, a fixed futurity, a predetermined, unalterable order of specific events which, like a superior fate, has once for all determined the directions of God’s creative activity. In fact, Divine knowledge regarded as a kind of passive omniscience is nothing more than the inert void of pre-Einsteinian physics, which confers a semblance of unity on things by holding them together, a sort of mirror passively reflecting the details of an already finished structure of things which the finite consciousness reflects in fragments only. Divine knowledge must be conceived as a living creative activity to which the objects that appear to exist in their own right are organically related. By conceiving God’s knowledge as a kind of reflecting mirror, we no doubt save His fore-knowledge of future events; but it is obvious that we do so at the expense of His freedom. The future certainly pre-exists in the organic whole of God’s creative life, but it pre-exists as an open possibility, not as a fixed order of events with definite outlines. An illustration will perhaps help us in understanding what I mean. Suppose, as sometimes happens in the history of human thought, a fruitful idea with a great inner wealth of applications emerges into the light of your consciousness. You are immediately aware of the idea as a complex whole; but the intellectual working out of its numerous bearings is a matter of time. Intuitively all the possibilities of the idea are present in your mind. If a specific possibility, as such, is not intellectually known to you at a certain moment of time, it is not because your knowledge is defective, but because there is yet no possibility to become known. The idea reveals the possibilities of its application with advancing experience, and sometimes it takes more than one generation of thinkers before these possibilities are exhausted. Nor is it possible, on the view of Divine knowledge as a kind of passive omniscience, to reach the idea of a creator. If history is regarded merely as a gradually revealed photo of a predetermined order of events, then there is no room in it for novelty and initiation. Consequently, we can attach no meaning to the word ‘creation’, which has a meaning for us only in view of our own capacity for original action. The truth is that the whole theological controversy relating to predestination is due to pure speculation with no eye on the spontaneity of life, which is a fact of actual experience. No doubt, the emergence of egos endowed with the power of spontaneous and hence unforeseeable action is, in a sense, a limitation on the freedom of the all-inclusive Ego. But this limitation is not externally imposed. It is born out of His own creative freedom whereby He has chosen finite egos to be participators of His life, power, and freedom."

My point:

If God knows everything that will happen in the future, than God is not free, for everything that is going to happen, from now, until eternity, God knows, meaning He just meets it at the particular 'point in time'. Such a life is not a real life, for it is devoid of all originality and creativity. The whole controversy stems from the idea that God's knowledge is like ours, when His MIND is what creates in the first place.

Nothing exists unless God wills it, meaning He creates it out of nothing. There is no such thing as a future, until God himself decrees it into existence.

Former Hadith Rejector

Wow. That melted my brain, brah.
    To anyone reading my posts:
    I used to be hadith rejector. After studying hadith at a surface level, I realized the large amount of nonsense dispelled by this forum and their top users. The exemptions are Al Boriqi, Nawawi, Lumumba and hlatif (who is no longer here). My advice, leave this forum. If you read anything of me rejecting hadith, know that it is nonsense and I no longer hold that view. Read my "Bio" for more info.

May ALLAH bless your life brother Ihsan ... excellent posts.
    Can you please brother give me the verses that go with this statement:
    Quote Originally Posted by ihsan View Post
    The Quran states that when the good among humanity move into Paradise, the angels will proclaim to them that they were their helpers in this life, and will continue to be so in the next. When men are down in the pursuit of God, the angels provide means from the unseen realm, at the command of God, to assist a person through.

Quote Originally Posted by faithful View Post
    May ALLAH bless your life brother Ihsan ... excellent posts.
    Can you please brother give me the verses that go with this statement:
    Salaams,

Surah 41, verse 30 and 31

(As for) those who say: Our Lord is Allah, then continue in the right way, the angels descend upon them, saying: Fear not, nor be grieved, and receive good news of the garden which you were promised.
    We are your guardians in this world's life and in the hereafter, and you shall have therein what your souls desire and you shall have therein what you ask for
    These verses are preceded by a description of those that are being punished for their sins. They desire to trample under their feet, those leaders that use to tell them to reject faith, and follow the traditions and customs of their own kind, which are against justice and right. It was because of this peer pressure that they succumbed, but the people of Paradise are being told that even in this life, while the believers may have felt alone because they were going against the current society, they were never alone. The unseen realm was evidence to the mass support and affection for their stand on the principle of tawheed.

Salaam,

I'm pretty new to this site and are not so sure how it works. If any part of this question is inapproriate please forgive me.

Most people in this world will at some point ask themselves, why were we created? what will happen once we're dead? how should we live this life? so on and so forth. Most muslims were given these answers way before they were born through the Holy Quran.

However, there is one question that has been lingering in my mind for quite some time and that is; why does Allah create? To ensure full understanding of the context let me explain the question a bit more.

Think about every event that is contained in the Quran, from the creation of the angels, humans, the advent of Satan, how the Adam couple was sent to the earth, the life and stories of all 25 prophets, to the present modern age (all the wars, revolutions, etc) and soon the judgement day, where the non-believers will be sent to Hell while true muslims go to heaven.

Now think of all these events collectively and think, why does all of these needs to happen? Don't get me wrong I truly believe that Allah is the most powerful and because of that there is nothing that He needs nor there is nothing He can't do. Therefore why create? Why does these events needs to happen? Why do we, the humans who have all these tendencies to do exactly the opposite of what He wanted us to do, has to exist? I'm not questioning His power or the concept of His existence nor am I saying that we should just die. I just simply wanted to know this so I can understand better my purpose in life and be a better servant because right now, I think my belief in Islam is shaking because of this question.

If this question or any part of it is not supposed to be asked by a true muslim, please point it out and I will never speak of it again.

NN.
    This is exactly what I wanted to know: why God needs to create and see how we humans choose between good and evil. The 'allowing' us to choose certainly means that there is an absolute possibility that some will eventually succumb to evil and therefore be sent to hell. How is this a manifestation of His mercy? Why must God create humans need to have greedy, lustful nature if creating us is a form of His mercy?

In fact, it is certainly not fair as how some people were born into circumstances that leads them to do good and bad. For example, think of a person who was born into a christian family which lives within a christian community, and the person was taught to be a good christian all his life. Now compare him to a person born into a muslim family who lives within a muslim community, and the person was taught to be a good muslim all his life. Simply just because the first one was born into an unfortunate circumstances he will be sent to hell?

Of course, he can strive to find the truth but apparently that is not really the nature that represents the majority of the human population. Just compare the percentage of muslims in an Islamic country and in other countries. Its not a coincidence that there are a lot of muslims in an Islamic country, its just simply because people learn from their surroundings.
    Assalam Alaykum NN and welcome very much to this forum.

Alhamdulillah you have asked some very good questions and that is so good. It is good because it displays a thoughtfulness much different from what is drilled into our minds by our surroundings and by our upbringing... It is this very thoughtfulness that Allah's words appeal to...

There are so many things I can say, but I will begin by asking you to relax and not feel guilty. The fall in standards of Islamic scholarship has had this very unhappy outcome where everything is expressed in black versus white and us versus them. Sorry if you are not yet understanding where I am going, inshallah you will. So... do not feel guilty if you have these questions, the Quran encourages enquiry. Think about it, if you were a teacher in a class and a student couldn't honestly understand a lesson, would you be angry with him and punish him if he tried and came up to you with his difficulty in sincerity or would you appreciate him for his effort and try your best to explain the lesson to him? What would you do?

Any person with little compassion would help the student, so why is it that we muslims have to think that Allah will be angry at our questions or it is improper or we should bury these questions in our mind even if they start rotting our hearts? The root of this dilemma lies in the us versus them and heaven versus hell and Allah's mercy versus his wrath pilosophy which has become core of Islamic philosophy... but then that's another topic, and I should not digress... The point is, first and foremost, don't kill yourself with guilt if you have doubts or these unsettling questions, they are a sign of a thoughtful mind which is a very good thing and very much encouraged in Islam

Ok, so I will rephrase your questions...

1> Why does Allah create when he knows all that is there to know, the future etc.
    2> Why is it that people who "coincidentally" aren't muslims have to go to hell.

I hope I got your questions right.

So, 1> Why does Allah create when he knows all that is there to know, the future etc.

You are wondering about two things here. 1> Allah's purpose 2> Concept of Qadar and destiny

Unlike what you may have heard from countless mosque's pulpits, Allah did not create us to test us even though that statement is not false. The purpose of our life, as per the Quran, is to bring out a creation which is righteous, moral and of the best of character, mimicing the attributes of Allah swt in as much degree as possible, willingly. This life is not an exam paper with only two outcomes: pass or fail. This life is meant for us to go through experiences, one after another, with each experience, each stage presenting several choices, with our choice at each stage affecting our development for the next stage, for the next choice... What we choose to do, in every situation, leaves imprints on our character, our inner self, which shapes us progressively into what we become... And what we become through these expereinces, these situations that life presents, is what we will be when we leave. This character that we form, is the only thing we are going to be taking with us, it's the only thing that we actually ever have. We all realize to some degree the temporariness of objects in life, but you may know, that even our body cells are constantly dying and new cells are being created with each second... so in practicality even the body we have today is not what we will have some time later. So the point is, the only outcome of this life is the character we form. And the Quran makes the point in several places, like 2:272

Whatever of good ye give benefits your own souls, and ye shall only do so seeking the "Face" of Allah. Whatever good ye give, shall be rendered back to you, and ye shall not Be dealt with unjustly.

So Allah's purpose as per the Quran, what brother ihsan also expressed in his first post, is a creation which is willingly righteous, the best of creation... And righteousness is best understood by Allah's attributes, like those of justice, mercy, truth, compassion, strength etc etc. If you read the Quran, nowhere does it promises heaven and the like to those who believe, but it promises to "those who believe and do righteous deeds..."

So brother, you should reflect and think about your experience of life so far, what has stayed with you? The kind of person you are, how would you compare the qualities of your personality with the qualities represented by the attributes of Allah? This is what character is, and this is what goes with us. The more goodness there is in our character, the more beauttiful will be the form of our existence after this life and this is why the Quran keeps saying, whatever good you do, is for your own selves.

So, now even if one was to understand the purpose of our life, one may question, why does God need to create a being which would be willingly righteous? To this though, we have no answer and in my opinion, we do not need an answer because as in the words of Hamza tsortzis, the best explanation does not need an explanation. We can keep putting a why in front of every answer we come up with but that is actually illogical. The best we can come up with is to say, to create is an attribute of God... but this question is unnecessary. I am happy knowing why we are here and to whatt purpose and in every situation that life presents me and it's accompanying choices, I see an opportunity to make the right decision, do what is good and feel the mercy of Allah when one chooses in his attributes...

The next part of your question, viz, concept of Qadar and/or destiny is entirely man's creation. I can link you to another post of mine where I quoted from Jeffery Lang's book (who quotes from various sources) that the concept of destiny and predestination does not exist in the Quran and is of later growth. Qadar as per the quran is "the proper measure" of things, which manifest to us in the form of scientific laws which we discover. In short, the whole concept of all our actions being pre-written is arguable and not justtified from the Quranic viewpoint. However the concept of Allah swt having foreknowledge of all is a different thing. Please realize that foreknowledge does not mean causation. Allah knows of our choice and actions but he does not cause them to happen. They happen because we willfully make the choice. The benefit of going through it is for our own experience, to get a chance to grow through what we go through and form a better inner self.

----------

Now, in your another post you pointed why someone has to go to hell just because he was born into an unfortunate circumstance. Here again you should realize that the US versus Them and muslims versus Kaafirs with all Kaafirs going to hell is a philosophy of later growth. The Quran does not divide people into those who will go to hell and those who won't. The Quran divides people into believers, rejectors and those in between. The rejectors are those whom the Quran banishes to hell. Remember as per the Quranic language, the Rejectors are those to whom it has been made absolutely clear as to what the Prophet (S.A) has brought is the truth. In spite of this they reject the message because of their arrogance. These are the people for whom the Quran says, hell has been lighted. Now you would at once realize that modern day non-muslims whom you have in mind don't necessarily fall into that category. In fact, even modern day muslims, don't fall into the category of those whom the Quran calls believers. Most of us all fall in between, who will reach the afterlife in a mixed state of character, who would be traeted justly. The only benefit of being born into a muslim family for most muslims today is access to the possibility of availing Allah's guidance. Whether we truly become believers or not, only a lifetime spent will tell...

I hope I was able to answer a little bit of your questions... Trust me I have been there where you are, but Allah's mercy and love is greater than whatever wrong you may think you may have done... And his guidance is always there, like one of my teachers once told me, The God of Moses and Ibraheem, is the same God we have today, he listens to us as much as he did for Ibraheem or Moses, just the "Taqwa" is what is required...

Peace
    [Offtopic] I spend my time on my Oracle Forums and my General Forums [/Offtopic]

[Ontopic] To compare translations of the Quran and read Tafsir Jalalayn, refer Quran.com [/Ontopic]

Salaam,

NN.

Asalaam o Alaikum to all brothers.... i am new here ..

and i saw the post, and would agree with whatever our brothers have replied to you NN..

The questioning in Islam is allowed in Quran and One of the Greatest Prophets of Allah, Abraham (a.s) also asked Allah (swt) to show him a A Sign so that it clears his doubt about Life being given to the Dead, not that Abraham (a.s) did not believe in his Lord, he said ....

"Yes but (I ask) in order that my heart might be filled with Confidence." (Al Quran 2:260) The display of Proofs and logic gives rest to the heart when more knowledge is gained.

About Why Allah (swt) created us, All i can say is that there are many reasons why Allah created us and they are all connected with each other... however, we can look at Hadith e Qudsi where Allah (swt) told the Prophet (saw) that Allah did not create mankind for His own benefit he created man for the benefit of man....

"O sons of Adam, i did not create you for my own benefit, but that you benefit from Me as your God, for I am your saviour."

a saying of the Son in Law of Prophet Muhammad (Saw) helps us understand the above Words even better.....

At another place, Hazrat Ali (KaramAllahu Wajha) said "Oh People, Allah did not create mankind but that they know Him, for if they know Him they will worship Him and if they worship Him, they will benefit from His Grace."

The part of Knowing, and Worshiping and Benefiting, are connected, and if you understand them you will be able to understand that it is nothing but for our own Benefit that God created us, as He is Self Sufficient

Messenger of Allah (saw) said ‟He who knows his nafs (Evil self), knows his Lord."

The Jihad (Struggle) of the Nafs is greater than the Jihad of the Sword, as Prophet Muhammad (saw) and Companions mentioned this several places, because the Evill within oneself struggles to take you towards misguidance and wrong path and vain desires at all times, however when you struggle back, and every time you make your Evil Self loose and each time you win, you come closer to your Lord and you begin to feel the Presence of your Lord. This is why Muhammad (saw) said the above that Whoever Knows his Nafs knows His lord.... as the Knowledge (Maarifah i.e a sufi term) which brings you closer to your Lord, is gained everytime you defeat the Shaytan that is within Yourself...

Now When you start to feel the Presence of Your lord, you begin to be at Peace within your self, and that is the Most Beautiful Feeling a human can have! I can explain it, but it is only truly understood once a person begins to feel himself. So when you begin to feel that way is, when you begin to Worship your Lord more and want to come closer, and it why Allah (swt) has said ....

"And i have not created Jinn and Mankind but that they worship Me." (Al Quran 51:56)

The creation of Mankind and Jinns, and them fighting against their Evil Desires and overcoming themselves, and then Worshiping Allah (swt) together with it, makes them come closer to Allah (swt) which Benefits them both! And the Benefit part can only be truly understood unless you yourself make the Journey towards your Lord i.e try and struggle by coming close to Him (swt)... as Quran says that Allah (swt) helps those who are striving, and does not leave them and helps them by making their path easy....

"As for those who strive in Our cause, We shall surely guide them to Our Ways. Indeed Allah is with those who do good." (Al Quran 29:69)

The Dooers of Good is this Verse are called Muhsinoon meaning those who have Ihsan which means.... as Prophet Muhammad (saw) said in a Tradition.....

"Ihsan means Fear Allah as if you can see Him, if you cannot imagine seeing Him, know that He Sees you."

The dooers of Good (muhsinoon) are always and mostly working and struggling in their daily lives, with the Feeling of Ihsan i.e that Allah is Watching at all times and there is no place, where He cannot see us. Which then in turn makes every action of their in to Worship, and every act that they do with pure intention because Allah watches, becomes a an Act of Worship , as Worship not only means Praying and Fasting etc.... for example if you go to get Education provided that you intend to use it for good, it is seen as a Worship and will be Rewarded. So peace and blessings keep descending by God and His Angels on the Souls of those who are struggling in the way of Allah and keep Remembering Him and keep Worshiping. This Peace and Blessings which they feel become source of inspiration to do more good and bestows on them tranquility, which in turn benefits them and you will never find them run after the World or its Materialistic things.... for their Hearts are at Rest .....

(13:28) Such are the ones who believe and whose hearts find rest in the remembrance of Allah. Surely in Allah's remembrance do hearts find rest.

Even though you might see such people working in this life but their hearts are in Remembrance of Allah i.e Praising and Conscious of their Lord. So its the Benefit which if one understand, will understand as to why did Allah (swt) created us. Since the Benefit is only for us and Allah does not need us and He created us, wants to give us good in this World and in the Hereafter, and does not need anything from us, and loves us in addition to everything, then that is why your Lord is Truly Merciful and the Most Gracious One. Now we can Understand why Allah is All Merciful, for He bestows Mercy without us asking for it .... and it was Because of His Mercy that this Whole Universe came in to being....

Hadith of the Prophet (saw) on the authority Abu Huraira (r.a) that Muhammad (saw) said " that when Allah (swt) created the Universe and all the things, he turned towards the throne and wrote down in His Preserved Tablet or Lauh Al Mahfuz, that "Today My Mercy Has over come my Wrath".

The Basis of Creation of Universe and everything in it , is the Mercy of Allah (swt).

i used to have the same questions, and i understood them this way.